Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tear duct air leaks
Tear duct air leaks
I am writing this because my leaks are very improved with my new mask although some of the time I don't have much breathing room between my leakage rate and 24 l/min. I have been able to determine fairly confidently that the remaining leaks are from the tear ducts in my eyes. It does not bother me much and does not awaken me much.

Here is my only real concern. Has anybody who experiences this type of leakage discussed this with an ophthalmologist concerning any long term negative effects on the eyes or does anybody know of any long term negative effects on the eyes?

Best regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tear duct air leaks
The ducts at nasal junction are drains into the sinuses. Yes, they can leak air.
The leak rate should be very small compared to the intentional mask leak rate (flush rate.)
I do notice some crud in my eyes in the morning.
I am followed by an ophthalmologist -- just saw him Wednesday.
He's been following me for a decade; and not seen any deleterious effects.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tear duct air leaks
I certainly have experience tear duct leakage (but not from the CPAP). Sometimes when I equalize my inner ear by holding my nose and blowing gently, a tiny stream of air will come through my tear duct.

justMongo is almost certainly correct: If this leak is not sufficient to drive you insane or even keep you awake then it is likely VERY SMALL compared to the designed and intended mask leak.

Our machines are able to handle quite a bit more than the designed leak.

For small leaks like this, the key for therapy is: Does it disturb or prevent your sleeping?

Asking a physician if it can cause problems is certainly a reasonable thing to do.

For myself, if it didn't bother me, I would likely wait for a regular visit to one of my docs -- as long as there were no other deleterious effects.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 1 39 5 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 121 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 8 132 03-14-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 87 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 4 194 03-09-2024, 06:58 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 457 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 701 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.