Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Technical, professional instruction for Docs to set APAP treatment
RE: Technical, professional instruction for Docs to set APAP treatment
(02-12-2014, 02:44 AM)archangle Wrote: You seem to be implying that you just let an APAP machine decide the pressure. If so, I disagree.
I,m not implying so we,re in agreement Coffee

actually i,m in harmony with my machine, knows each other quite well and in fine tune, more like a parachute jumper trusting his parachute to open at this critical moment, not exactly but close enough

btw, where have you been, do you work for living or something Dielaughing

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2014, 12:41 PM)herbm Wrote: Does anyone know where to find (preferably online but at med library, Amazon etc. would be useful too) books/articles/manuals on how a physician should analyze and set the APAP?

I want this for at least two reasons:

1) To learn as much as possible

2) To understand the current training that sleep docs have available

To what end? The RT adjusted the pressure during my titration study, observed and recommended the lowest number that worked. The doctor didn't really do anything except agree with the RT's report.

The machine is not going to cure you so I'm just curious as to why you want to do this kind of research. It doesn't seem like you have a lot of free time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2014, 02:09 PM)JohnNJ Wrote:
(02-02-2014, 12:41 PM)herbm Wrote: Does anyone know where to find (preferably online but at med library, Amazon etc. would be useful too) books/articles/manuals on how a physician should analyze and set the APAP?

I want this for at least two reasons:

1) To learn as much as possible

2) To understand the current training that sleep docs have available

To what end? The RT adjusted the pressure during my titration study, observed and recommended the lowest number that worked. The doctor didn't really do anything except agree with the RT's report.

The machine is not going to cure you so I'm just curious as to why you want to do this kind of research. It doesn't seem like you have a lot of free time.

I want it to make sure there are no gaping holes in my knowledge -- what I don't know that I don't know.

The second reason is because understanding how well trained the professionals are allows better estimation of their typical competence and removes many assumptions when dealing with them.

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter "why" but only if you have some info and are willing to help.

If not, nothing to see here Smile
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2014, 02:24 PM)herbm Wrote: I want it to make sure there are no gaping holes in my knowledge -- what I don't know that I don't know.

The second reason is because understanding how well trained the professionals are allows better estimation of their typical competence and removes many assumptions when dealing with them.

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter "why" but only if you have some info and are willing to help.

If not, nothing to see here Smile

Herby:

I guess I didn't make my point clearly enough. The sleep doctor is not curing cancer. He provided a machine as treatment for a condition that may change but will not be cured, generally speaking.

They get their "knowledge" from med school. The sleep medicine thing is basically a sideline to generate cash. The complicated stuff relates to sleep issues not related to OSA.

You've got everything you need right here and it's not that complicated. You have people that were diagnosed a few months ago and have been using a machine for only a few weeks giving advice like they have a PhD. It's pretty basic.

Then again, go for it and educate the rest of us.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 58 03-27-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 88 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 373 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 123 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 577 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 440 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.