Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Teeth Grinding and Sleep Apnea
Teeth Grinding and Sleep Apnea
My Dentist is insistent that my recent jaw/tooth pain is from not wearing the nightguard that was made for me just before I found out I had OSA.  I am a big grinder and I know I am still doing it because I have actually woken up hearing me scrape my teeth together.  I am having the worst time trying to keep the guard in my mouth even during the day.  I have a terrible gag reflex and I find even after a few minutes my jaw is incredibly sore.

I'm wondering if I should even bother trying to get used to it?  Is anyone else sleeping with a nightguard while using a cpap?  I'm scared it's just going to cause more pain and just the thought of trying to sleep is making me feel even more anxious.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Teeth Grinding and Sleep Apnea
I use a nightguard, on the upper teeth, and have no pain or other problem at all. I think my teeth grinding was relatively modest.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2021, 11:28 PM)GuyScharf Wrote: I use a nightguard, on the upper teeth, and have no pain or other problem at all. I think my teeth grinding was relatively modest.

Mine is upper teeth as well, I will practice wearing it and see if it makes any difference to my AHI or flow limits.  

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a nightguard and have no real problem with it when using CPAP. It took a little bit of time and I would wear the nightguard hours before going to sleep and putting on my CPAP gear on.
My only concern with it is when I want to use the tongue on the roof of the mouth, to help in sealing for mouth leaks, the edge of the mouthguard gets in the way to the back of the teeth. However, I'm also using tape to stop (reduce) mouth leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've worn a nightguard while using my CPAP. I don't know why you find yours so uncomfortable. It seems perhaps it's not fitting you correctly.

After I used my CPAP machine for a few months I find I rarely need my nightguard.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have worn a nightguard for decades. Since I started XPAP I wear a top and bottom both. I only wear them at night when asleep. I haven't ever heard of wearing one during the day. Do you grind during the day?

I didn't need to get used to mine, ever or for either one. There shouldn't be any pain.

Maybe talk to your dentist, see if the fit needs adjustment. What are the downsides of not wearing the nightguard? Or just wearing when you are sleeping?
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-03-2021, 10:52 AM)Cpapian Wrote: I have worn a nightguard for decades.  Since I started XPAP  I wear a top and bottom both.  I only wear them at night when asleep.   I haven't ever heard of wearing one during the day.  Do you grind during the day?

I didn't need to get used to mine, ever or for either one.  There shouldn't be any pain.

Maybe talk to your dentist,  see if the fit needs adjustment.   What are the downsides of not wearing the nightguard?   Or just wearing when you are sleeping?

I was just wearing it during the day to get used to it in my mouth.  I can't stop gagging from it.  I see the Dentist again in a couple of weeks so will let him know.  I'm only supposed to wear it while asleep but I don't see how that is going to happen.

(09-03-2021, 09:55 AM)Sleepster Wrote: I've worn a nightguard while using my CPAP. I don't know why you find yours so uncomfortable. It seems perhaps it's not fitting you correctly.

After I used my CPAP machine for a few months I find I rarely need my nightguard.

My jaw hurts even more after having it in my mouth, so maybe it's just need adjusting.

(09-03-2021, 09:24 AM)nightgagger Wrote: I use a nightguard and have no real problem with it when using CPAP.  It took a little bit of time and I would wear the nightguard hours before going to sleep and putting on my CPAP gear on.  
My only concern with it is when I want to use the tongue on the roof of the mouth, to help in sealing for mouth leaks, the edge of the mouthguard gets in the way to the back of the teeth.  However, I'm also using tape to stop (reduce) mouth leaks.

I found the same thing, I can't close my mouth properly and there is a big gap so air will leak out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Daytime mouth guards are for people that unconsciously grind or clinch their teeth during the day.

I started using a mouth guard when I first found out I was grinding away surface of my teeth. There is bigger issue that can develop, which is tmj or craniofacial issues from clinching. That's the most important reason for me to wear a mouth guard, so that my jaws can last longer. Splints for tmj is much more complex to get right. Because if the splint is not right for the person, problems can develop.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a severe TMJ disorder, and have had TMJ for over 35 years. I wear a dental appliance, similar to a nightguard, to stabilize my bite and my jaw joints. I wear it 24/7, including for eating. It is only out of my mouth to brush it and my teeth.

There is a period of getting used to a dental appliance. However, you should NOT be having problems with a gag reflex or severe pain when wearing it. 

The gag reflex means that the appliance is too big, it goes too far back on the back teeth, or that it is covering too much of the roof of your mouth (again, going too far back). 

The pain means that the appliance is not adjusted correctly for your bite. Did the dentist just hand it to you and say "Here it is. Wear it"? Or did he place it in your mouth, and then check and adjust your bite using two-sided paper that leaves marks on the appliance, so he can see how your teeth hit the appliance? If your dentist did not/does not adjust your appliance, fire him immediately and get a new dentist with more training and experience!! Even if he did adjust it, it is obviously not right and you need to insist that he works with you to make it right.

I started CPAP treatment about 9 months ago. I have found that since I can now breathe at night, I am grinding and clenching my teeth at night much less. My dentist can tell the difference when I go in for adjustments, because I don't have grinding marks on my appliance! I hope the same happens for you. 

Best,
Robin
Post Reply Post Reply
I am pretty new to CPAP, and I also wear a mouthguard at night.  I still clench some at night and have jaw pain in the mornings (sometimes) but I've never had gagging with my mouthguard.  Hopefully after being on CPAP for a while, the grinding will stop.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 227 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 349 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 609 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 287 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 125 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 551 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.