Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Teeth Whitening Trays and CPAP
Question 
Teeth Whitening Trays and CPAP
Does anyone have experience with wearing "teeth whitening trays" overnight with their PAP machine?

Three years ago, my dental hygienist told me to wear my whitening trays overnight. Once a month is all I need - I don't like the extreme white "Chic-lets" look. I noticed, before my sleep apnea diagnosis and treatment, I would sleep a little bit better during the nights I would wear my trays. Seemed to help "jut my jaw" out a bit.

A year ago I was diagnosed with sleep apneas and stopped wearing the trays at night because I didn't know if they would interfere with therapy. I switched to wearing them about 4 hours during the day and now I have to do that 2-3 times a month. I'd like to go back to wearing them overnight when I'm not thinking about drinking water, having a snack … or all those things I "have to do" when I have them in during waking hours.

So, my question is: Does anyone out there wear "teeth whitening trays" at night? If so, any comments? Problems? Do the trays "dry out" or otherwise get damaged? Is your therapy as successful as the nights you don't wear the trays?

Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Teeth Whitening Trays and CPAP
I have not but you could do an experiment and wear them during the day while also using the CPAP and mask. That way you'd be awake and could tell how it is or is not working.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I usually wear a night guard with my nasal pillows and chin strap, but on occasion will wear the whitening trays instead of the night guard. I've never had any problems doing this.

The only problem that might arise it that it might be more likely that your jaw will open as you sleep with the whitening trays on. If you don't wake up with air hissing out of mouth, and it doesn't increase your leak rate, then you're all set.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, PaulaO2 for your great idea! And thanks Sleepster for your first-hand report. I'll start with Paula's suggestion to wear them during the day to see how it goes then, based on Sleepster's experience, I'll proceed with confidence.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Front Teeth is hurting in morning. kdpatel 3 681 03-05-2023, 11:00 AM
Last Post: TexasDon
  Cpap - Teeth Grinding dapal 3 772 10-03-2022, 11:15 AM
Last Post: KeepSmiling
  Teeth/gums feel weird in the AM HockeyGoon 7 1,134 09-24-2021, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Kuutar
  Teeth Grinding and Sleep Apnea hookedonstitch 19 1,954 09-04-2021, 03:30 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  Does a retainer prevent teeth from shifting during cpap use? Michaely6 2 1,735 08-22-2021, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Michaely6
  PAIN AND TEETH Knitman 0 688 02-01-2021, 10:40 AM
Last Post: Knitman
  Teeth grinding and jaw clenching emmylouwho 4 1,130 12-11-2020, 03:30 PM
Last Post: weiss27md

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.