Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Teeth grinding
Teeth grinding
I searched this forum, and from what I understand, bruxism should improve with successful treatment? I'm just wondering because I'm using 2 mouthguards at night, and still wake up grinding. TIA
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Teeth grinding
(09-16-2017, 11:12 PM)MrsBrando Wrote: I searched this forum, and from what I understand, bruxism should improve with successful treatment? I'm just wondering because I'm using 2 mouthguards at night, and still wake up grinding. TIA

IME bruxism requires input from a skilled dentist. The mouth guards are custom-fitted. Otherwise your teeth can hang up on them and make bruxism worse. The dentist has to check the bite on them regularly, just the way your bite gets checked when you get a new crown.

I have only ever worn one at a time. The last one broke my front teeth.

Grinding sleep guards do the opposite of the dental pieces intended for OSA treatment, since they allow the face to relax, and the lower jaw can drop backwards towards the throat. IIRC mouth devices for OSA pull the lower jaw forward.

I have never seen an OSA mouthguard. It would probably do immense damage to my face.

I'm not sure if that response has the right angle on your question.

Also, the straps from your mask might be pressuring your jaws to grind. I am about to get a CPAP and this is a big concern. As far as I can tell, most mask designs would cause me to grind my teeth.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it would depend on the cause of the bruxism.  I clench and grind day and night.  I still do after CPAP.  If the buxism is caused by they apnea then I would expect it to improve.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2017, 11:12 PM)MrsBrando Wrote: I searched this forum, and from what I understand, bruxism should improve with successful treatment? I'm just wondering because I'm using 2 mouthguards at night, and still wake up grinding. TIA

My opinion as a dentist:

A lot of patients with OSA grind their teeth. It usually tends to be severe, with a lot of teeth damage.
A lot of patients with no OSA also grind their teeth.

People who grind their teeth because of OSA grind MUCH less when treated for OSA. (But they still do it).

Custom fitted/adjusted occlusal splint for bruxism prevents teeth damage.
It also tends to worsen untreated OSA because it takes some space in the mouth, and there is less space for the tongue. Not really a concern if you have a cpap. Won't make a real difference.

IMO, both conditions need to be addressed separately.

If you grind your teeth, you need a custom fitted dentist made occlusal splint. 
If you can't afford that, a cheap internet splint might do somewhat of a job for a while , but it won't be good long term for your teeth and your jaws.
(one, not two, Choose whatever arch but you only need 1). 
An occlusal splint will not prevent bruxism, it will prevent teeth and joint damage. You will eventually destroy the splint (takes from 1-10 years, depending on people).

If you have OSA you need a cpap.

If you have both, you need both. (I have both).

My personal experience is that since I've had a cpap, I have been waking up with MUCH less muscle fatigue and pain in my jaws. I used to grind my teeth a lot. I still do, but it seems less severe. I still need a splint for life. I've had one for more than 10 years now.
My sleep study has confirmed that in my case, I only grind when I have apnea events. That's really interesting. (I still need a splint, because my AHI is never going to be 0 all the time).

That's it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's my situation. I have a deviated septum, so I use a FFM with nasal strips. I used to use a mouthguard from my dentist, paid hundreds of dollars, and woke up many times with my back teeth somehow still making contact and grinding. Then I bought a cheap mouth guard that's actually for athletics. It brought my jaw forward which is good, but still didn't cover all my teeth, so somehow my back teeth were still grinding. Now I usr two, one that's slightly smaller and fits inside the other. They together keep my teeth from making contact, but the bruxism is still there and just as bad. Maybe it's not caused by my apnea, and is just always going to be there...{sigh}
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-17-2017, 11:09 AM)MrsBrando Wrote: Here's my situation. I have a deviated septum, so I use a FFM with nasal strips. I used to use a mouthguard from my dentist, paid hundreds of dollars, and woke up many times with my back teeth somehow still making contact and grinding. Then I bought a cheap mouth guard that's actually for athletics. It brought my jaw forward which is good, but still didn't cover all my teeth, so somehow my back teeth were still grinding. Now I usr two, one that's slightly smaller and fits inside the other. They together keep my teeth from making contact, but the bruxism is still there and just as bad. Maybe it's not caused by my apnea, and is just always going to be there...{sigh}

CPAP will not stop grinding. 
You will probably grind forever. 
It doesn't mean that the splint or the cpap aren't working. The splint doesn't stop bruxism, it stops teeth damage.
You will need a splint for life. It's not that bad, I'm a dentist and I'm in the same situation.

Now, what you can do to make it better:

Call your dentist and make sure that your rigid occlusal splint is properly adjusted so there are no posterior contacts when moving the jaw sideways or to the front. Only the canine and incisors should guide all the movements of the mandible. In normal occlusions, contacts should be even everywhere, and I sometimes just slightly weaken contacts on molars to prevent excessive clenching.

With those adjustments, your brain will bite with less force and you won't be able to grind the posterior teeth together. Will make it easier on your teeth, your jaws, and your splint.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-17-2017, 09:22 AM)Kryogen Wrote:

My opinion as a dentist:

A lot of patients with OSA grind their teeth. It usually tends to be severe, with a lot of teeth damage.
A lot of patients with no OSA also grind their teeth.

People who grind their teeth because of OSA grind MUCH less when treated for OSA. (But they still do it).

Custom fitted/adjusted occlusal splint for bruxism prevents teeth damage.
It also tends to worsen untreated OSA because it takes some space in the mouth, and there is less space for the tongue. Not really a concern if you have a cpap. Won't make a real difference.

IMO, both conditions need to be addressed separately.

If you grind your teeth, you need a custom fitted dentist made occlusal splint. 
If you can't afford that, a cheap internet splint might do somewhat of a job for a while , but it won't be good long term for your teeth and your jaws.
(one, not two, Choose whatever arch but you only need 1). 
An occlusal splint will not prevent bruxism, it will prevent teeth and joint damage. You will eventually destroy the splint (takes from 1-10 years, depending on people).

If you have OSA you need a cpap.

If you have both, you need both. (I have both).

My personal experience is that since I've had a cpap, I have been waking up with MUCH less muscle fatigue and pain in my jaws. I used to grind my teeth a lot. I still do, but it seems less severe. I still need a splint for life. I've had one for more than 10 years now.
My sleep study has confirmed that in my case, I only grind when I have apnea events. That's really interesting. (I still need a splint, because my AHI is never going to be 0 all the time).

That's it.

Thanks, Kryogen, for such a clear explanation. That means I might be able to experience less jaw grinding when the apnea gets treated. Good news...
Post Reply Post Reply
I finally got on cpap this past summer when my endodontist referred me to the sleep clinic for the 2nd time. I had TMJ surgery back in 1986 when they still did that. Would highly recommend running from any dentist who suggested that these days.
I've worn an appliance since then but the grinding and breakdown ofhas continued apace. It hasn't disappeared by a long shot but I will say that my jaw is more relaxed these days when I wake up. Now if I could translate that to daytime benefits, I'd be set. I'm debating a new night guard but the price is wow (!) and I'm reticent to spend $700 on something that I may not tolerate.
Post Reply Post Reply
My teeth grinding has stopped after starting Cpap therapy. My dentist also says so.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same problem. I’ve used mouth guards made by my dentist in the past, but they get destroyed in about 6 weeks.

Hope you have better luck.
Geoffrey Rush as Philip Henslowe, (Shakespeare in Love) "I don't know. It's a mystery."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Front Teeth is hurting in morning. kdpatel 3 681 03-05-2023, 11:00 AM
Last Post: TexasDon
  Cpap - Teeth Grinding dapal 3 774 10-03-2022, 11:15 AM
Last Post: KeepSmiling
  Teeth/gums feel weird in the AM HockeyGoon 7 1,137 09-24-2021, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Kuutar
  Teeth Grinding and Sleep Apnea hookedonstitch 19 1,957 09-04-2021, 03:30 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  Does a retainer prevent teeth from shifting during cpap use? Michaely6 2 1,737 08-22-2021, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Michaely6
  PAIN AND TEETH Knitman 0 690 02-01-2021, 10:40 AM
Last Post: Knitman
  Teeth grinding and jaw clenching emmylouwho 4 1,132 12-11-2020, 03:30 PM
Last Post: weiss27md

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.