Luvmyzzz Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Philips Wisp
Humidifier: Built In
CPAP Pressure: 9-13
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: First diagnosed with essential hypertension @ age 25 (precursor to CHF)

Sex: Female

RE: Telemarketer Tactics
(09-03-2016 06:00 PM)GrammaBear Wrote:  Now we all know that telemarketers can be and are annoying. But today when my cell phone made the 'ping' noise indicating a incoming text msg, I hurried to pick up the phone thinking it might be my grandson. Needless to say it was not my grandson but a 'raw' msg about a part of the male anatomy. My oldest son happened to be visiting me and he offered to see if my phone would block the text msg for any future time. He could not block the msg but definitely deleted the msg at my request. This is my first time receiving such a nasty text. Don't people have anything better to do?
Oh-jeezOh-jeez that is so disgusting GB, some freak has nothing else to do! too bad you can't report 'em as they need to be labeled as a sex offender! Of all our "Geek" friends here, doesn't anyone have a suggestion to correct or stop this behavior? Dont-know

I enjoy being with a group who like to share their "Hosehead" experiences, to remind me I am not alone.
09-03-2016 07:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Crimson Nape Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: P-10 / F&P Simplus / DreamWear
Humidifier: H5i w/Climateline
CPAP Pressure: 8 - EPR 3

Other Comments: CMS-50F & 50IW

Sex: Male

There is a free app for android to screen calls and texts. Search for "call control".

GrammaBear - The first name of the sender of that text wouldn't have been Anthony by chance? Big Grin

Statistics prove that people who have more birthdays live longer.
09-03-2016 08:45 PM
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

If you use an iPhone, you can block further calls or messages from anyone by opening the message and touching Details in the upper right corner. This gives you several options, including the "i" with a circle around it. Click on the "i" and select Block this Caller. You'll never hear from them again.

09-04-2016 09:46 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

(09-04-2016 09:46 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:  If you use an iPhone, you can block further calls or messages from anyone by opening the message and touching Details in the upper right corner. This gives you several options, including the "i" with a circle around it. Click on the "i" and select Block this Caller. You'll never hear from them again.

I wish this was possible with a 'land-line' phone also. I have been called no less than 3 times this morning alone from a telemarketer for "DirectTV". I asked them politely not to call me anymore the first time they called. So what do they do? They call two more times. I have better things to do than to do business with a telemarketer ! Angry
09-27-2016 02:09 PM
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

(09-27-2016 02:09 PM)GrammaBear Wrote:  
(09-04-2016 09:46 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:  If you use an iPhone, you can block further calls or messages from anyone by opening the message and touching Details in the upper right corner. This gives you several options, including the "i" with a circle around it. Click on the "i" and select Block this Caller. You'll never hear from them again.

I wish this was possible with a 'land-line' phone also. I have been called no less than 3 times this morning alone from a telemarketer for "DirectTV". I asked them politely not to call me anymore the first time they called. So what do they do? They call two more times. I have better things to do than to do business with a telemarketer ! Angry

A few people have home phones that we call POTS (plain old telephone system), but today, most people have bundled services and actually use voice over internet protocol (VOIP). So if your get your phone service through Verizon, AT&T, Comcast and many others, you probably have a VOIP connection. Every one of those digital phone service providers have management systems you can access for your phone to see who you called, who called you etc. In most cases, you can identify the caller you want to block and do it using your online user management tools. If you are still using POTS, just change. It will save you money and give you a lot of free features as well as unlimited calling, inexpensive international access and the ability to block unwanted callers.

09-27-2016 02:30 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

(09-27-2016 02:09 PM)GrammaBear Wrote:  

You could always answer the phone "FBI" and see where that takes them. If anyone you know asks you can always say it means father, brother, and I.

Personally, on my phone, I look at the caller ID and if I don't recognize the number, I don't answer it. If it was a mistake, I pick it up when they leave a message.
09-27-2016 03:33 PM
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

(09-03-2016 08:45 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote:  There is a free app for android to screen calls and texts. Search for "call control".

GrammaBear - The first name of the sender of that text wouldn't have been Anthony by chance? Big Grin

I honestly don't know. I was PO'd and my son asked if he could look at my phone, so I gave it to him. He knows much more about my older model iphone than I do and when he asked if I wanted the msg deleted, I said "Yes, by all means."

My other son said that he put an app on grandson's phone to prevent such calls. I do know that they have AT&T and I do not.
09-27-2016 04:00 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Thanks to Sleeprider and Homerec130 for your helpful hints. We do have our phone 'included' as a bundle package with our satellite service and internet service. I have an older model iphone (5s) so it doesn't have the "latest and greatest" features, but I will look into your suggestions.

Years ago when my parents first got a telephone, my Dad used to answer the phone "Duffy's tavern" which really annoyed my mother. But my Dad had an active sense of humor and he especially liked it if it happened to be one of Mother's 'church' friends calling. Smile
09-27-2016 04:05 PM
FrankNichols Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed F10 and/or P10
Humidifier: Builtin
CPAP Pressure: 17-19
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: I've figured out how to get my AHI down to 5, I quit sleeping!

Well, I have been taking the time to have fun with them lately. I just sound really interested in what they are saying, and keep asking questions. Then I ask the same questions again, if I run out of questions, and they I start talking about my garden. Eventually they hang up.

I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
09-27-2016 05:38 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

(09-27-2016 05:38 PM)FrankNichols Wrote:  Well, I have been taking the time to have fun with them lately. I just sound really interested in what they are saying, and keep asking questions. Then I ask the same questions again, if I run out of questions, and they I start talking about my garden. Eventually they hang up.

I like your approach. Next time if you run out of questions, you could begin your music practice and 'deliberately' misplace the bow so you get a "wee" squeek??
09-27-2016 06:26 PM