Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tell me how you've Modified your P10 to make it VENT more
Idea 
Tell me how you've Modified your P10 to make it VENT more
I've been on a mask hunt, and I just wish I could go back to my beloved P10.  The ONLY problem that I had with P10 (that I couldn't overcome) was that it doesn't vent enough of my exhaled air.

So I'm tempted to take an ice pick to the vents.  Maybe poke a few holes in each side?

Have any of you modified the vents on your P10?  How has it worked?

I could use any tips.  Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tell me how you've Modified your P10 to make it VENT more
I think the P10 vents plenty. The one sure way to increase venting in any mask is to increase pressure. The more pressure going into the mask, the more air gets vented. So that might be one solution.

I know that it is easier for me to exhale with the large P10 pillow compared to the medium, so maybe try a larger size cushion. I can hold my hand in front of the P10 vent and can always detect vented air. It seems like the P30i does not vent nearly as much even though it uses the same pillow, but that is presumably due to the diffuser vent it uses.

In any event, I don't know that directly messing with the vent on any mask is a good idea.
Post Reply Post Reply
The biggest problem with the P10 vent rate is moisture in the vent mesh. It must be completely dry if you have washed the mask. The P10 mask seems to vent more air than it used to, and I suspect the vent has been changed in recent years to flow more air. If it's been a while, the mask may have changed. I do not scrub the vents and for the most part, I don't even clean the frame, but clean and change cushions. Larger sizes flow better.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you decide to increase the vent size, use a very small straight pin, like the ones used in a new shirt, or a small needle.  Start by placing only one hole per side.  You will be amazed how much one small hole per side will increase the venting.  Also, I like symmetry.  Big Grin  You can always add more holes if the venting isn't adequate to your needs.  There was a member that looked into the P10's venting not that long ago here.  He reported that, over time, the vents would become occluded with foreign matter and moisture.  He used a Water Pik to blast the mesh clear, but the water droplets would block the venting until completely dry.

Another thought; You might look at the F&P Brevida. It has a removable diffuser screen. To me it is just as comfortable and quiet as the P10.

Good Luck.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the tips!

I will try a new P10 mask, and see if it'll vent more. That would be fantastic if ResMed attempted to fix this issue.

I already use the largest P10 cushion.

Symmetry is important! So I'll keep it symmetrical. And thanks for the tip on one hole each side - I was wondering how many to start with. I have a few P10 masks, so if I screw one up it won't be much of a loss. But I may as well start conservatively.

I have been using the Brevida for a while now (maybe a year). I have to use it without the vent cover, because with it I experience the same venting problem as P10, F20 (with quiet elbow), & F30 (with quiet elbow). I just recently tried N30, and have the same problem. I'm starting to think this is a me & ResMed problem. Me, because I think I'm a weak exhaler. ResMed, because most of these masks I've had vent problems with has been ResMed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you use the Flex option on your Dreamstation to reduce pressure on exhalation?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2020, 10:43 AM)Coffee Man Wrote: Do you use the Flex option on your Dreamstation to reduce pressure on exhalation?

I don't, because that constant pressure-shift throughout the night causes my ears to click & clog all throughout the day.  (My ears are very sensitive due to chronic illness as a child.)

If I can't get a mask to work for me, I will revisit that.  

I don't know which is worse: excessive daytime sleepiness, headache, & irritability (what I get with poorly venting masks), or excessive clicking and clogging of my ears with every breath & jaw-movement throughout the day (what I get with flex/EPR).
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2020, 10:56 AM)Hydrangea Wrote: I don't know which is worse: excessive daytime sleepiness, headache, & irritability (what I get with poorly venting masks), 

How could I forget my main complaint with the lack of venting?  Nightmares about being tortured or murdered.
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep in mind that with pillow masks, there is less volume to vent than with other masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hydrangea, it appears you don't have a "venting" problem here. Big Grin
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Here to vent Razorpoke 6 163 Yesterday, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 139 35,649 04-12-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Sheepish
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,071 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Not sure what to make of my OSCAR data Machinist 3 265 03-10-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: Machinist
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 404 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
  What is optimal respiration rate, minute vent, tidal volume, etc? ATeam91 4 506 01-23-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: ATeam91
  Sick and need to vent cps22 8 593 01-05-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: cps22

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.