Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tension vs AHI numbers
Tension vs AHI numbers
Just wondering. Has anyone experienced an increase in AHI numbers only because of anxiety or tension? That is the only thing that has changed in the last 2 months.

I was doing so well with my AHI readings (2.5 to 7). Then suddenly they started to climb. They are now at 20 to 35. My P10 mask does not lead. I am still sleeping the same number of hours and going to bed at the same time. I have tried changing from the good control numbers EPAP =19.6 ,IPAP= 6.0, and PS=0 one at a time to see if I could effect a positive change and yet the AHI numbers stay very high. BTW, I don't have SA software.
CPAP isn't so bad if you don't mind wearing a catchers mask and sleeping with a garden hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tension vs AHI numbers
Are your events primarily or all central?

There's lots of things that can increase AHI and tension is one of them. But I don't see it doing so night after night for 2 months. Something else is causing it.

Do you not have software because it won't read from your machine? Or you just don't have it? If Sleepyhead can read from your machine, please get it installed. By looking at the overall data, you can narrow it down.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tension vs AHI numbers
(01-02-2016, 01:09 AM)CasitaWayne Wrote: Just wondering. Has anyone experienced an increase in AHI numbers only because of anxiety or tension? That is the only thing that has changed in the last 2 months.

I was doing so well with my AHI readings (2.5 to 7). Then suddenly they started to climb. They are now at 20 to 35. My P10 mask does not lead. I am still sleeping the same number of hours and going to bed at the same time. I have tried changing from the good control numbers EPAP =19.6 ,IPAP= 6.0, and PS=0 one at a time to see if I could effect a positive change and yet the AHI numbers stay very high. BTW, I don't have SA software.

Hi CasitaWayne,

If PS is zero then I suppose you meant Max IPAP is set to 19.6 and Min EPAP is 6. (If you really need 19.6 occasionally, then having the Min EPAP at 6 seems way too low. You might want to consider gradually moving Min EPAP closer to 10.)

I suppose you may have an older machine which uses the old proprietary "smart card" instead of a standard SD card, in which case you would need to buy the old ResMed proprietary smart card and proprietary card reader if you wanted to use ResScan to read your detailed data, which would be fairly limited, without Central Apnea detection or Flow waveforms.

If that is your situation and if you are not using Pressure Support, it might be better to save up and buy a used S9 AutoSet, which would allow use of a heated hose to avoid rain-out and would provide the standard SD card for data, allowing use of the SleepyHead software or ResScan, with full detailed data including central apnea detection and Flow waveforms. And distinguishing central apnea versus obstructive apnea is often extremely important.

Also, the S9 AutoSet and A10 AutoSet models both use the newer "Enhanced" AutoSet algorithm, for more accurate automatic pressure adjustments.

The Flow waveform is an extremely detailed plot of our breathing, of the estimated rate of airflow into and out of our lungs. The Flow waveform can be important for recognizing subtle problems, if present.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 112 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 351 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Frustrating insomnia continues despite numbers alienfrontier 10 602 01-27-2024, 02:04 PM
Last Post: alienfrontier
  Central Sleep Apnea AHI numbers too high chathamite 12 1,015 11-19-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Numbers are better but I feel worse LikeaGlove90 2 509 09-24-2023, 12:10 AM
Last Post: LikeaGlove90
Sad Waking up around 4-5am every night. Occasional Aerophagia. Good numbers? jkang9080 3 537 08-22-2023, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] AM97 Therapy Thread: Help me interpret OSCAR and get my numbers right am97 6 777 07-14-2023, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.