Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: O.S.A. Terminal or Other ???
This poll is closed.
Terminal
4.35%
1 4.35%
Disabled
0%
0 0%
A Serious Illness
17.39%
4 17.39%
A Mild Illness
0%
0 0%
A Condition
78.26%
18 78.26%
An Annoyance
0%
0 0%
None of the Above
0%
0 0%
Dont Know
0%
0 0%
Dont Care
0%
0 0%
Total 23 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Terminal Apnea
Terminal Apnea
If sleep apnea is Incurable could you say its terminal? And also why is death or dying of this illness, quite a sparce topic. I wouldnt say I put my mask on at night and think is this the last time, is it my time? I couldnt cope with my illness if I felt like that. I put my mask on like I would bed socks or ear plugs or even a condom but as a life saving devise, NO! Doesnt mean to say I dont believe that it is saving my life as I know it is.

My Question is, would you class it as terminal? I know most survive it and some dont but if you dont get treatment then your chances are very high of dying from it. The rreason I ask is because someone asked me which got me thinking. Are we even classed as disabled and I dont believe we are. It seems that these areas are grey areas and with it becomming more prevalent in society I think these questions should be asked. Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Terminal Apnea
No, it isn't terminal. It is chronic. Terminal means it will end in death. Chronic means it will just never freakin' end. They are saying that football player (who's name I can't remember) died of "complications related to sleep apnea" but I could never find anything that said he was using a CPAP, only that he had bad sleep apnea. Being a football player, I'm betting he had some brain injuries that might have been causing CSA.

In the US, we have the Americans with Disabilities Act which offers rights and protections to those who are disabled. The definition of who qualifies is, basically, having one or more daily life activities impaired. You can be disabled under the ADA but not disabled according to Social Security (which determines eligibility on the 'gainfully employed/employable'). Persons with sleep apnea probably would be covered by the ADA but I would not want any one to test it through the court system.

Several years ago, two sisters were pilots and applied for jobs with a major airline. They were not hired because they wore glasses. The sisters sued under the ADA and it went all the way to the Supreme Court. THey were heavily discouraged from it but they did it anyway. What happened is the Supreme Court said that if the disability is mitigated by something (their vision is corrected via glasses), then they were no disabled according to the ADA. This set a huge precedent and many people lost their rights because of it. And it opened a huge can of worms. Does crutches helping me walk mean I am not eligible for protection under the ADA? What about prosthetics?

So, looking at that, CPAP use mitigates our drowsiness and would make us ineligible for protection. But without it, we would be miserable and have a host of other issues. But what about those bad days? What if we fell asleep during a meeting? Could we be fired because of the condition? Probably. Could we fight it in the courts? Probably, but I doubt we would win. The CPAP is our cure, from a legal standpoint. If our data backs up that we have less than 5 AHI nearly every night, we are as "normal" as anyone who does not have it. But if you are one of those where the CPAP is not enough and the AHI is still above 5, then you'd probably have a case.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
wish I had a "LIKE" button for that Paula, your knowledge never seems to amaze me. If we have to use a machine or an aid to make our lifes better then surely we must be disabled. My partner uses a wheelchair, is she not classed as disabled when she's in it as she is capable of movement. I wonder what the actual law is for sleep apnea, do we have a case to say we ARE disabled and would it hold up in court.

Chronic, I never thought of that one. Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
being alive itself is a terminal illness. we all die as a result of being alive.

"the game of life. no one gets out alive".
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
I voted a condition. That being said, I think that treated apnea would be a condition, untreated apnea would be a serious illness. BTW, Paula the football player that you are thinking of was Reggie White. Also Jerry Garcia from the Grateful Dead died from complications from Apnea. I don't know in either case if they were diagnosed and being treated or not. Last year one of the crew members from the Time Bandit on Deadliest Catch on Discovery died from complications from untreated apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a person with disabilities (PWD) and used to be quite involved in the ADA. I was at the big event at the Statue of Liberty way back in 1990. I was there as a staff person and had no clue I would be considered eligible for protection by that law in less than a year. Life happens.

They recently re-did the ADA and made it better. They erased a lot of what the Supreme Court did and made definitions much clearer.

If SA is your only condition and you are being wonderfully treated by the CPAP, then I'd say you are not disabled according to the ADA. And certainly no where near being eligible according to Social Security.

The key is to be smart with it. If you know that some days you're going to be tired because of power outage or your machine just isn't always doing enough, then tell your employer there will be some issues. "Reasonable Accommodation" does not mean they have to give you a cot but it does mean they should allow you to not schedule important meetings first thing in the morning or last thing in the afternoon.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2012, 11:45 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: No, it isn't terminal. It is chronic. Terminal means it will end in death.

Got it. So... Life is terminal... CPAP is chronic. :-)

Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep apnea is not a disease or can be passed from one person to another by contact or otherwise. As reading glasses are vision aid to help me see better so is cpap machine is an aid to help me sleep better. People die with or without sleep apnea and as cpap user my chances of dying in my sleep is not any greater than anybody else probably less likely scenario and have a higher chance to be struck with a truck crossing the street or by lightening for that matter.
Post Reply Post Reply
A disability may be physical, cognitive, mental, sensory, emotional, developmental or some combination of these.

Disabilities is an umbrella term, covering impairments, activity limitations, and participation restrictions. An impairment is a problem in body function or structure; an activity limitation is a difficulty encountered by an individual in executing a task or action; while a participation restriction is a problem experienced by an individual in involvement in life situations. Thus disability is a complex phenomenon, reflecting an interaction between features of a person’s body and features of the society in which he or she lives.

—World Health Organization

Disability is caused by impairments to various subsystems of the body - these can be broadly sorted into the following categories.

(WIKI) Physical disability

Main article: Physical disability

Any impairment which limits the physical function of limbs or fine or gross motor ability is a physical disability. Other physical disabilities include impairments which limit other facets of daily living, such as severe sleep apnea.

Need I say more Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, but successfully treated SA would not be a disability. We sleep and we sleep well.

Personally, I would never consider sleep apnea to be a disability. Perhaps in the extreme case where someone is not capable of tolerating the mask (skin allergies) or the pressures (friable skin).
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 766 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,031 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,487 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,628 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio
  Apnea statistics question, how tightly controlled is your apnea? happydreams 24 2,882 06-13-2021, 04:38 AM
Last Post: ICEMAN
  New to Sleep Apnea (central Apnea) cyipher 17 1,935 05-18-2021, 10:52 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Can large tonsils cause sleep apnea? Would removing them prevent sleep apnea? WWu777 4 1,585 12-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.