Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: O.S.A. Terminal or Other ???
This poll is closed.
Terminal
4.35%
1 4.35%
Disabled
0%
0 0%
A Serious Illness
17.39%
4 17.39%
A Mild Illness
0%
0 0%
A Condition
78.26%
18 78.26%
An Annoyance
0%
0 0%
None of the Above
0%
0 0%
Dont Know
0%
0 0%
Dont Care
0%
0 0%
Total 23 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Terminal Apnea
RE: Terminal Apnea
Maybe I should have said In the eyes of the Law are we disabled?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2012, 11:31 AM)Dreamcatcher Wrote: Maybe I should have said In the eyes of the Law are we disabled?

when speaking of laws about disability you'll have to look up the laws of your country or the country you are in at the time.

First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
In the US, in terms of the law, we are considered having a disability that allows us protection under the ADA.

Being disabled and having a disability are two different things. In my mind, that is.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Michael Hingson is an author and is also blind. He has written a book called "Thunder Dog" which describes his experience escaping Tower 1 on 9/11 with the aid of his dog, Roselle. He describes his blindness as an inconvenience. He describes sighted peoples response to his blindness as a disability. He is a very interesting man with some very interesting experiences and some enlightening ideas.
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply
Exactly. The day I decided to start using a wheelchair, I got my life back. I thought it would be depressing and limiting. Heck no! Other than idiot businesses still not in compliance with a 22 yr old law, I am free-er with the chair than without.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2012, 01:30 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Exactly. The day I decided to start using a wheelchair, I got my life back. I thought it would be depressing and limiting. Heck no! Other than idiot businesses still not in compliance with a 22 yr old law, I am free-er with the chair than without.

i'm slowly getting there. with asthma, copd, lightheadedness and general as yet undiagnosed muscle weakness and some atrophy, i get tired, etc when i walk too far like up and down the aisles of walmart. so one day i started using the old people cart when in the big stores. it felt weird in the beginning, but i'm over it. it still feels weird walking in, using the cart, and then getting up and walking out. until you ride them things you don't realize how poorly the stores maintain/replace the batteries.

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
Hate COPD my brother had it, he seemed fine, we went round to see him and he was lying on the couch......... Blowing-nose He was only 50 Sad

I dont have time to be disabled and I hate labels
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2012, 12:35 AM)Dreamcatcher Wrote: Hate COPD my brother had it, he seemed fine, we went round to see him and he was lying on the couch......... Blowing-nose He was only 50 Sad

I dont have time to be disabled and I hate labels

the older you get, the more fun it gets. i never had lung or breathing problems before age 60 except apnea. none. at age 60 i got adult onset asthma. it came out of nowhere when i couldn't breathe one morning. 2 years later at age 62 it has progressed to asthma and copd. copd is not a disease. copd is a catch-all term to describe asthmatic bronchitis or emphysema. in my case the doc said i am a hybrid. i have a little of each of asthma, asthmatic bronchitis and emphysema. every doctor i speak to attributes it to being a former smoker. i also have a history of somewhat limited exposure to workplace asbestos which hasn't shown up yet. hopefully it won't. it is called mesothelioma and is worse than all of this.

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2012, 12:37 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: "Reasonable Accommodation" does not mean they have to give you a cot but it does mean they should allow you to not schedule important meetings first thing in the morning or last thing in the afternoon.

Unless the scheduling of those meetings at those times is critical to the job function. Correct?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2012, 11:31 AM)Dreamcatcher Wrote: And also why is death or dying of this illness, quite a sparce topic.

For two reasons, I think.

First of all, apnea-related deaths occur as a result of the accumulated effects of sleep apnea over an extended period of time. The cause of death is stroke, heart failure, or other cardiovascular disease. So, those things are listed as the cause of death, not the sleep-apnea which was the underlying cause.

Secondly, sleep apnea treatment is a relatively new concept in our society. For many of us, we are the first generation for which CPAP therapy is avaialble. It's takes a while for the condition to seep into the consciousness of our society and reach full recognition as a cause of death.

Take for example, smoking. A few generations ago when people died of lung cancer, the reported cause of death was lung cancer, not smoking. When, in the 1960's, it first became clear that smoking caused lung cancer, we started blaming lung cancer deaths on smoking.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,392 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,584 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio
  Apnea statistics question, how tightly controlled is your apnea? happydreams 24 2,848 06-13-2021, 04:38 AM
Last Post: ICEMAN
  New to Sleep Apnea (central Apnea) cyipher 17 1,885 05-18-2021, 10:52 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Can large tonsils cause sleep apnea? Would removing them prevent sleep apnea? WWu777 4 1,525 12-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.