Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Unusual Smell
RE: Unusual Smell
This is a necrothread that has come back to life without a new post.
So, which post is being responded to? (Yes, I ended a sentence with a preposition.)
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The only "new" post is by new member Helenjane who quoted the original poster without leaving her own post. Dont-know

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Exactly. Which then caused the necrothread to float back to the top of the heap.
Ergo, I assume the next post is in response to the OP -- which is now old news. Perturbed
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
jM
I feel your pain. Too-funny
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Yes, I ended a sentence with a preposition.

Mongo, that is the type of pedantry up with which I will not put!
Post Reply Post Reply
You may want to have a nasal culture taken. I had a sinus infection that caused a peculiar odor and required an antibiotic. I have never had that happen with previous sinus problems.
Post Reply Post Reply
Squirrels nesting in the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
All of the above, but if you have a cat keep it away from the machine as they have this nasty of lying on top of them for some obscure reason.
The table sounds a bit suspect to me, however, any smell appears to be worse after it goes through the machine. Smells can come from anywhere. What you need to understand is that these machines shift a lot more air than you would normally breath, so any smell fro, any source in the room will be dragged through the machine eventually. If you have a drawer in the table it could be something in there.
Perfumes and Aftershaves etc can give a metallic smell. I had to ask my other half to stop spraying her perfume in the bedroom, it was just a tiny squirt, but when it went through the machine it felt stronger than it was and gave all sorts of affects. Even if you leave something within a couple of feet from your machine it will eventually pull the air from around it, so be aware. However, if the table has been stained or painted, it may give off some fumes. It does not take much, even a slight fault in the machine can give a metallic smell. I had a machine that gave off a metallic smell for ages and I could smell it during the day when I was not using it. Then one night it started to make a grinding noise and gave up the ghost. This went on for a few weeks before the machine packed up. I woke up to a horrible noise one night, with the machine shaking and grinding away on the table by the bed. There was a hot metallic smell coming from it, so it must have been something to do with a bearing on the fan I suspect. It was the same smell I had been getting for weeks, but the machine had been working fine except for this slight smell, when it packed in the smell was the same but a lot worse. I was smelling it for weeks after I got a new machine. I thought the same was going to happen to the new one, however, it didn't and after a while I stopped smelling anything.
I would remove the machine from the table, have a look in any drawer the table might have, look close for anything that has a smell, check the hose and headgear and the mask cushion for any mould or fungus and pay attention to any vents or safety valves, these are prone to mould.
Also check the connections on the hose and swivel points on the mask. Also check for any mould around the room, behind units etc, it is amazing what can be pulled through these machines.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,847 Yesterday, 11:41 AM
Last Post: her.suit
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,815 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,234 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
  [Equipment] unusual high pressure when starting treatment klbklb7 9 720 11-21-2023, 12:41 AM
Last Post: klbklb7
  Burning Smell? BC3B 33 19,412 10-25-2023, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Teddyg
  [CPAP] Sweet morning smell..... H2Daddy 12 8,825 10-24-2023, 12:23 AM
Last Post: fly by night
  Resmed Climateline tubing smell wenfroed 21 7,666 10-08-2022, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.