Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Terribly Dry Eyes
Terribly Dry Eyes
My mask has been leaking into my eyes causing them to get really dry. I've called my DME and am returning it in a few days. Until then, I'm trying to figure out what to do... for the past 4 nights, I've been applying ophthalmic ointment prior to bed, it has helped, but I still wake up with red eyes. Artificial tears provide only temporary relief but they are getting worse and worse, they are always very red, and my eyelids feel like sandpaper. I don't know that I can last more than another night like this. Do you have any tips to help soothe or prevent this? I tried sleeping with an eye mask to shield them yesterday, but it didn't help. Should I just go without the CPAP until I can switch masks? Can this cause long term damage to my eyes?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Terribly Dry Eyes
Hi Geniale,
Ask to try a different mask, there are many out there, so keep trying ‘till you find one that works for you.
Hang in there for more suggestions and good luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2016, 07:04 PM)Geniale Wrote: My mask has been leaking into my eyes causing them to get really dry. I've called my DME and am returning it in a few days. Until then, I'm trying to figure out what to do... for the past 4 nights, I've been applying ophthalmic ointment prior to bed, it has helped, but I still wake up with red eyes. Artificial tears provide only temporary relief but they are getting worse and worse, they are always very red, and my eyelids feel like sandpaper. I don't know that I can last more than another night like this. Do you have any tips to help soothe or prevent this? I tried sleeping with an eye mask to shield them yesterday, but it didn't help. Should I just go without the CPAP until I can switch masks? Can this cause long term damage to my eyes?

Hi Geniale,

I'm new in this world but when I had leaks in my eyes it was mainly because I'm a side sleeper and the mask was push by my pillow.

Also because of some advise from here sometimes I was having the bad reflex of tightening more to stop leaks but it added more leaks... Thinking-about

So maybe try to loose the top straps.

I wish you good luck!

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2016, 08:13 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Geniale,
Ask to try a different mask, there are many out there, so keep trying ‘till you find one that works for you.
Hang in there for more suggestions and good luck to you.

Thank you Trish, I do plan on trying a different mask! I called early this week but they couldn't see me until Monday...

(02-12-2016, 08:35 PM)Rousseau21 Wrote: Hi Geniale,

I'm new in this world but when I had leaks in my eyes it was mainly because I'm a side sleeper and the mask was push by my pillow.

Also because of some advise from here sometimes I was having the bad reflex of tightening more to stop leaks but it added more leaks... Thinking-about

So maybe try to loose the top straps.

I wish you good luck!

Sleep-well

Hi Rousseau, it's nice to hear from another newbie -- and another Montrealer Bigwink!

I am also a side-sleeper, but oddly, this mask leaks more when lie on my back. The fact that you could wear it really loose is one thing that made me choose the Eson in the first place so I have been avoiding over-tightening. I've tried so many different positions (up higher towards the forehead, down towards the chin, looser, tighter, etc.) and nothing's worked for the top of the nose leaks. I suspect that it's because I have a tiny nose bridge (eyeglasses are a pain for that very reason).

I do plan on trying nasal pillows next. I was scared that they were going to charge me a fee, but was happy that the DME will allow me to trial different masks until I find one that fits right.

Now my main concern is if I should continue wearing the CPAP until Monday or give my eyes a break. On the one hand, I know the machine is a good thing, but on the other hand, I went without it for years, so what's another 2 nights?! My eyes are very important to me...
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Geniale. My Simplus mask also leaks into my eyes. I use a strip of flannel fabric (like that used for pyjamas) over the bridge of my nose to prevent that leak. It's a simple solution that works pretty well. Depending on the particular fabric you might need to use a double thickness. You only need tiny piece of fabric - I just grabbed an offcut from some PJs Mrs DeepBreathing was making for the grandkids.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2016, 10:54 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Hi Geniale. My Simplus mask also leaks into my eyes. I use a strip of flannel fabric (like that used for pyjamas) over the bridge of my nose to prevent that leak. It's a simple solution that works pretty well. Depending on the particular fabric you might need to use a double thickness. You only need tiny piece of fabric - I just grabbed an offcut from some PJs Mrs DeepBreathing was making for the grandkids.

Thank you very much for the trick! Unfortunately it didn't work for me, I tried it for a few hours but ended up removing the mask. I've been sleeping without it for the past couple of nights and my eyes are back to normal. I get my new mask tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply
I read a thread on this forum not long ago about a woman who had to have eye surgery because of dry eyes. She was a sound sleeper and it didn't wake her up, so I think the answer to can dry eyes be dangerous is YES!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2016, 11:57 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: I read a thread on this forum not long ago about a woman who had to have eye surgery because of dry eyes. She was a sound sleeper and it didn't wake her up, so I think the answer to can dry eyes be dangerous is YES!

Yishhh, glad I stopped when I did!

So they gave me two masks to try out for the week: the Pico and the P10.

Of course, I had to catche the flu, so it may not be the most representative week, but we'll see...
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Geniale

I'm also a newbie here, I suffer from a condition called 'Dry Eye' a mild auto immune condition, which can progress to 'Sjogren's syndrome' if not cared for. So my eyes are easily 'triggered'.

I've also just been going thru the 'trying all the masks' process with my DME.
Using Nasal & Full face masks with some leakage provoked a violent attack similar to the one you describe, none of my usual medications would touch it. (HiLO forte, liquid tears, ophthalmic ointment, saline washes, hot & cold packs & ophthalmic lubricant) none of them worked.

Ended up having to use Minims of preservative free prednisolone 0.5% solution , that brought it under control quickly (24hrs) aided by dumping all the Nasal & full face masks the DME was insisting I try, in favour of a F&P Pilairo Nasal pillow mask, which doesn't leak at all.

And yes if one allows the dry eye 'sandpaper' condition to continue untreated in the much longer term there can be lasting corneal erosion but in the short term it should repair itself.

So if your inflamation doesn't resolve that might be a last resort, you would need a Dr's script though .

I hope yours resolves without having to go that far.

Gunjar
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the Pico mask briefly. It was a disaster for me because it sent a lot of the vented air straight at my eyes. I have "chronic dry eye", the same condition that Gunjar mentioned.

I switched to the Respironics Wisp model mask. It vents to the side and this doesn't bother my eyes.

I think that I'm going to try a nasal pillows mask the next time I get a new one, but I am liking the Wisp pretty well for a nasal mask.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreamstation 2 vs. Aircurve 10 (Dry, Puffy Eyes) MrIvanDrago 15 1,056 11-09-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Nose mask vs nasal cushions and leak dry eyes silverdr 6 896 09-22-2023, 06:51 PM
Last Post: KeepingItSimple
Question Pressure on eyes, what could be the reason? newbieusa 4 502 09-20-2023, 02:18 PM
Last Post: UnknownActor
  “Tired eyes” & your experiences spetzal 1 780 12-24-2022, 01:36 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Puffy dry eyes thepiecesfit 7 1,448 09-26-2022, 07:02 AM
Last Post: walt48
  Mask venting air flow over eyes all night long dawoodsman 11 7,949 01-05-2022, 12:20 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  [CPAP] Morning Watery Eyes TommySnores 7 2,803 11-12-2021, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Gary1of2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.