Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Test results seem horrific? anyone make sense of this?
RE: Test results seem horrific? anyone make sense of this?
(08-06-2015, 03:11 PM)Marc615 Wrote: I guess I am just concerned (frightened).
Is this a death sentence, does it look like these numbers are managable with proper treatment?

Just seeing the numbers when severe is ahi greater than 30 and I'm coming in at 65+, it is scaring me

Your sleep test numbers are not all that exciting. Many people are much worse.

It's only a "death sentence" if you don't use your CPAP. Even that's a bit of an exaggeration. It's a life sentence to doing CPAP.

CPAP isn't really that difficult. We hear more from the failures than the success stories.

Get your machine and SleepyHead. Don't obsess over the numbers yet.

Watch your central apnea numbers, but don't panic if you have some.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the responses, that does make me feel a bit better.

I do have another question though. Is it standard practice to give out used machines and be told that they are new?

I had asked the lady at the DME numerous times whether this was a new machine and I was told yes. I told her I didnt want someones old stale smoke or anything.

I just got home with the machine and the very first thing I did before even plugging it in was to pull the card and export to sleepyhead.

this card has been used in two seperate machines, one of the reported serial numbers is my "NEW" machines serial number and it shows just over 30 days of use in June. I am not talking a months worth of turning it on for new patient training or anything like it was an in house training machine or something, it has full nights sleep data on the card stating it was done in this machine.

The machine itself looks brand new and it still had the little protective film over the film but it is clearly stating this thing was used.
They didn't bill my insurance for a "used machine" think I have a leg to stand on going back and demanding a new and I mean straight from the box machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2015, 03:11 PM)Marc615 Wrote: ...
Doc prescribed the clap but won't have a follow-up to talk with for 3 months

Hmmm. That's not probably the best prescription. Cool (darned auto-correct)

Not a death sentence. Especially since treatment is often 100% effective. I like to think of it (getting xPAP therapy) as a life extension. It probably will give you a couple of decades that you otherwise would not have had.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2015, 09:18 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote:
(08-06-2015, 03:11 PM)Marc615 Wrote: ...
Doc prescribed the clap but won't have a follow-up to talk with for 3 months

Hmmm. That's not probably the best prescription. Cool (darned auto-correct)

Not a death sentence. Especially since treatment is often 100% effective. I like to think of it (getting xPAP therapy) as a life extension. It probably will give you a couple of decades that you otherwise would not have had.

LoL yeah I hadn't caught that, no clap here and even if prescribed it, I just don't think I would be getting script filled.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2015, 08:48 PM)Marc615 Wrote: Thank you for the responses, that does make me feel a bit better.

I do have another question though. Is it standard practice to give out used machines and be told that they are new?

I had asked the lady at the DME numerous times whether this was a new machine and I was told yes. I told her I didnt want someones old stale smoke or anything.

I just got home with the machine and the very first thing I did before even plugging it in was to pull the card and export to sleepyhead.

this card has been used in two seperate machines, one of the reported serial numbers is my "NEW" machines serial number and it shows just over 30 days of use in June. I am not talking a months worth of turning it on for new patient training or anything like it was an in house training machine or something, it has full nights sleep data on the card stating it was done in this machine.

The machine itself looks brand new and it still had the little protective film over the film but it is clearly stating this thing was used.
They didn't bill my insurance for a "used machine" think I have a leg to stand on going back and demanding a new and I mean straight from the box machine?

They shouldn't lie.

Most of the time, insurance require that the machine be rented the first few months. i.e. if you don't use it, they won't pay, and you turn the machine back in to the DME. You have no "right" to a new machine when you're renting.

Get into the clinician's menu. On PRS1 machines, "machine hours" is the total amount of time the machine has been turned on and can't be reset. You want "machine" hours, not "therapy" or "blower" hours. There are 3 numbers, but "machine hours" is the one that counts.

Look at the "CPAP Setup Hours" link at the top of this page to figure out how to get into the mineu.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2015, 09:45 PM)archangle Wrote:
(08-06-2015, 08:48 PM)Marc615 Wrote: Thank you for the responses, that does make me feel a bit better.

They shouldn't lie.

Most of the time, insurance require that the machine be rented the first few months. i.e. if you don't use it, they won't pay, and you turn the machine back in to the DME. You have no "right" to a new machine when you're renting.

Get into the clinician's menu. On PRS1 machines, "machine hours" is the total amount of time the machine has been turned on and can't be reset. You want "machine" hours, not "therapy" or "blower" hours. There are 3 numbers, but "machine hours" is the one that counts.

Look at the "CPAP Setup Hours" link at the top of this page to figure out how to get into the mineu.

this thing has 684.6 machine hours on it, that hardly seems even remotely "new" I find this very deceitful
Post Reply Post Reply
Call them in the morning and file a protest. I think you know what a used machine of that model is worth. If not, look at Supplier #2. I would threaten to call the attorney general's office, BBB and insurance...have a tantrum, cause that ain't right.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
And these days, what companies fear the worst is negative stuff on social media.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2015, 09:54 PM)Marc615 Wrote: this thing has 684.6 machine hours on it, that hardly seems even remotely "new" I find this very deceitful

So do I.

I also have a question for Arch or anyone who knows the answer. Assuming compliance requirements will be met and you are to become the outright owner after the rental period, at what point do buyer's rights enter into the picture -- in this case, your right to purchase a machine with zero hours? Or is this different from consumer rights in other situations? Do you swap out the rental for a new machine when the rental period ends? If not, and if you simply become the owner of the machine you've been renting, then do you not have a right to a new machine from the start? I ask because I don't know -- had to buy my machine OOP because of no DME coverage at the time so haven't gone down the rent-to-own road.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had much the same experience with DME. I was told my machine was new. After about 6 weeks use by me, and reading somewhere on this forum on how to check for machine/blower hours, I discovered that there were over 600 hours usage in addition to the hours I had on it, so called the DME and informed them of my displeasure with being given a used machine, and was going to report this to my insurance since they were the ones paying the rental. I asked for this machine to be taken back and given a brand new machine. Within 2 weeks, I had a brand new PR560 Auto still in original packaging, and no machine/blower hours on it.

If this is a machine you are going to keep, then you have a right to new, no matter if you or insurance is paying.
Just my 2 cents.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 24 544 9 minutes ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 89 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 531 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 178 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz
  Not sure what to make of my OSCAR data Machinist 3 213 03-10-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: Machinist
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 157 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.