Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Test results seem horrific? anyone make sense of this?
Test results seem horrific? anyone make sense of this?
I am new here and have recently received good information here regarding machines etc..

I have asked my DME for a copy of script and study summary as the doctors office still hasn't sent it to me after 4 requests.

I admit that I know about nothing here and from what I see it looks like I have some severe apnea. can anyone make sense of the split study and see if I am doomed or looks like something that is manageable?

(this is where the pics would be but states I cant post clickable links yet)

I have just picked up my prs1560auto on lunch with a wisp nasal mask.
I will be installing sleepyhead when I get home and hope to be able to get this under control soon. I have been tired for soo long, i need help
how many posts would I need before photos can be posted?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Test results seem horrific? anyone make sense of this?
(08-06-2015, 02:06 PM)Marc615 Wrote: I am new here and have recently received good information here regarding machines etc..

I have asked my DME for a copy of script and study summary as the doctors office still hasn't sent it to me after 4 requests.

I admit that I know about nothing here and from what I see it looks like I have some severe apnea. can anyone make sense of the split study and see if I am doomed or looks like something that is manageable?

(this is where the pics would be but states I cant post clickable links yet)

I have just picked up my prs1560auto on lunch with a wisp nasal mask.
I will be installing sleepyhead when I get home and hope to be able to get this under control soon. I have been tired for soo long, i need help
how many posts would I need before photos can be posted?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello - You need to have 8 posts before you can post images. It's unfortunate because newbies are often the ones most in need of posting sleep study reports and early SleepyHead data. It's an anti-spam mechanism.

Did you have specific questions about your sleep study? You can certainly posts some of the numbers and ask what they mean. It wouldn't take long to accumulate 8 posts if a conversation gets going.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah, I see you found a way to post thumbnail images. A little hard to read, but yes that's some severe apnea. What are your questions?

BTW the PR 560 machine is a good one -- full treatment data available.
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess I am just concerned (frightened).
Is this a death sentence, does it look like these numbers are managable with proper treatment?

Just seeing the numbers when severe is ahi greater than 30 and I'm coming in at 65+, it is scaring me

(08-06-2015, 03:11 PM)Marc615 Wrote: I guess I am just concerned (frightened).
Is this a death sentence, does it look like these numbers are managable with proper treatment?

Just seeing the numbers when severe is ahi greater than 30 and I'm coming in at 65+, it is scaring me

Doc prescribed the clap but won't have a follow-up to talk with for 3 months
Post Reply Post Reply
Many of us had similar numbers before treatment. The point is that with CPAP pressure at 12, your apnea events were well treated. You received a very good machine with the PRS1 Auto (560), and the main challenge is going to be to get comfortable and use the therapy every time you sleep.

Let us know how the machine is setup. You will need to have a higher minimum pressure than the default and hopefully it will be done for you. Be sure to request a copy of the clinical manual by email. Just follow the instruction at the link at the top of the forum.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is NOT a death sentence. I had it worse than this.

The good news is that you have a diagnosis. You don't have central or mixed apnea. All you have is plain vanilla Obstructive sleep apnea. The kind that a vacuum cleaner in reverse can solve Smile

The other good news is that you are getting a PRS1 560 machine. It provides full data which you can use with sleepyhead to tweak your therapy optimally before your first follow up with the doc in 3 months.

A lot of members on this forum have done the same before you. So there is a lot of experienced members here who can guide you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2015, 03:11 PM)Marc615 Wrote: I guess I am just concerned (frightened).

Just seeing the numbers when severe is ahi greater than 30 and I'm coming in at 65+, it is scaring me.

Definitely not a death sentence Marc. The severity of the apnea (AHI) is just a frequency count, and not at all an indicator of how well a person will respond to treatment.

When I was diagnosed three years ago I had a lot of fear about my severe apnea too. Looking back now, I know my fear motivated me to make this crazy CPAP therapy work. I struggled with adjustment issues but I was too afraid of the apnea to give up and quit. Fear has some value -- use it to shore up your determination to succeed with CPAP, but don't let it overwhelm you or cause you to think that you're not a good candidate for treatment. We hear about people with AHIs over 100 who are now seeing numbers below 2 on a regular basis. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Unless you are one of the lucky few for whom CPAP therapy comes easily, expect a period of adjustment as your body and brain get used to this new adventure in sleeping.

Like you, I was very concerned initially, especially after my first few nights, which were pretty miserable. It's taken me 2 months to become reasonably adjusted to CPAP therapy, and I still have good nights and not-so-good nights. However, my AHI is now usually less than 5, and I've found a mask -- after trying out 5 different ones -- that works pretty well for me. My beginning experience seems to be very typical, based on many other posts on this forum.

My advice is to climb back inside, off the ledge, and give your therapy a chance to work. The beginning probably won't be fun -- it often isn't an easy adjustment for your body and brain to make -- but you can do it.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Marc615,
I know the numbers are frightening, but at least you have a diagnosis, and a machine to treat your sleep apnea, so just try to relax a bit and get used to your CPAP therapy.
Ask as many questions as you need to, to help you along the way.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you start your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 556 48 minutes ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 94 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 531 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 179 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz
  Not sure what to make of my OSCAR data Machinist 3 213 03-10-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: Machinist
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 157 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.