Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Thank Heavens We're Moderated
We have moderators here who gently keep things in line and this makes this  forum a joy to be part of.

"That other forum" doesn't have any moderators, has a guest can post policy and can't change any of the forum parameters. I'm a member of that forum as well.

This 'loose approach' has come back to bite them big time. The spambots have moved in. What spambots do is post a few spam threads, hoping someone will reply as they are looking for a way into the system. Once they have determined those paths they then let loose. If you want to see the carnage, just open the site. At the rate the bots are posting threads it won't be long until they crash the server. None of the members can make any changes so it's inevitable. All members can do is delete the spam posts. I calculate that the bots are posting about 10 new threads per minute which is quicker than anyone can delete them. I posted a test thread and immediately went back to the forum (10 seconds max) and there were already 4 spam threads ahead of me.

Thank heavens for the way we moderate this very helpful forum.
Post Reply Post Reply
is there no one with mod/admin abilities there?
is it a ghost forum, where no one with the keys are left?
Post Reply Post Reply
They've got two admins who are the business owners. They hardly ever post on the site, and are gone for the holiday weekend. A forum member has reported that the owners are working with IT to fix the spam problem. I deleted about 100 spam posts Saturday night before the spam kicked into high gear.
Post Reply Post Reply

(05-29-2017, 04:25 AM)big_dave Wrote: They've got two admins who are the business owners. They hardly ever post on the site, and are gone for the holiday weekend. A forum member has reported that the owners are working with IT to fix the spam problem. I deleted about 100 spam posts Saturday night before the spam kicked into high gear.

I tried to warn them that the initial spam threads, which could be deleted, were just the tip of the iceberg and that once things got going they would ramp up exponentially. Today, just one spam bot has racked up 366 posts in 12 hours and there are literally dozens of these bots now posting. Those bots will increase and it won't take long until all the available server space that the forum has bought will be totally used up. An expensive exercise for the owners.

A forum member has reported that the owners are working with IT to fix the spam problem.

I believe the IT group are Incapsula and while they claim to be able to secure websites, they've certainly failed here. Grounds for legal action???

The only way to fix this particular spam problem is to close the site asap. Obviously, Incapsula don't have any early detection systems in place. Whether that's because the owners didn't want to pay for it or it's incompetence on Incapsula's part we'll never know.
Post Reply Post Reply
And the vast amount of GREAT information they share. Thanks Thanks Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
I also post there, but the forum intelligentsia as about as rude condescending, know-it-alls as I have run across in a long time. They maintain a philosophy of "tough love" meaning it's OK to be a jerk.
But there are also some wonderfully knowledgeable folks there with wisdom born of many years experience.
Post Reply Post Reply

How about a shout out to our moderators for keeping this site working and allowing the great advice to be posted that we all need;

HURRAH AND THANK YOU TO ALL OF OUR MODERATORS!!!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2017, 08:18 AM)TASmart Wrote: I also post there, but the forum intelligentsia as about as rude condescending, know-it-alls as I have run across in a long time. They maintain a philosophy of "tough love" meaning it's OK to be a jerk.
But there are also some wonderfully knowledgeable folks there with wisdom born of many years experience.

I thought I was the only one who felt that way. I note the spam (which is Korean, not Chinese) is well over 1 MILLION posts. There is no excuse for allowing that to continue.
Old man, new machine. Better sleep! Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2017, 09:54 AM)jsielke Wrote:
(05-29-2017, 08:18 AM)TASmart Wrote: I also post there, but the forum intelligentsia as about as rude condescending, know-it-alls as I have run across in a long time. They maintain a philosophy of "tough love" meaning it's OK to be a jerk.

I thought I was the only one who felt that way. I note the spam (which is Korean, not Chinese) is well over 1 MILLION posts. There is no excuse for allowing that to continue.

Me too, that's why I am mainly here.
Post Reply Post Reply

(05-29-2017, 08:18 AM)TASmart Wrote: I also post there, but the forum intelligentsia as about as rude condescending, know-it-alls as I have run across in a long time.

I agree, lots of condescending people there, a lot more friendly here.

I believe Apneaboard is raising some cash, in order to pay to Korean hacker to destroy the competition!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From the heavens....... Dreamcatcher 3 1,714 04-24-2012, 10:02 PM
Last Post: PollCat