Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Thank Heavens We're Moderated
Here is the requested shout out for the Forum Moderators ---- Great Job Folks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Apnea Board could get hit with this bot as well.  I don't envy the folks who have to clean up this mess on the other forum.

We likely have a lot more security measures in place (that I can't discuss) here on Apnea Board-- especially after our new server went live earlier this year, and after we upgraded to the new forum software with some additional security measures.

Temporarily, I've increased the level of our own security here, so that we won't get hit with this bot as well.  We may get hit anyway, but there are measures in place to control the rate of speed that spammers/bots are able to do their thing, plus we have several active Moderators and Monitors who are on the job as well.

This gives me an opportunity to THANK our Moderators and Monitors for all they do around here to help keep this place safe and sound, and to give us a reasonably civil place to help others with CPAP & Sleep Apnea issues around the world.  THANKS TO OUR FORUM STAFF!!   Coffee

I do hope the other forum gets this taken care of, because even though some see them as "our competition", the truth is that both forums are helping people, which is the real goal in the first place.  Ours sometimes seems a bit more "civil" and welcoming to new members, while the other has some "issues", but there are still a lot of knowledgeable folks on both forums and I'm all for helping sleep apnea patients, no matter what specific venue is used.

Thanks
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Just to let our members know, I'm keeping an active eye out on our logs and registrations in addition to some extra security measures to make sure this doesn't happen here.

Our forum staff is also aware of the problems at the other forum and is on the lookout here for signs of bots/spammers also.

Confused
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

So glad to hear you guys are so vigilant SuperSleeper. Thank you for all the work you all do on our behalf over here. Wow...unbelievable how many spam threads have proliferated over on that other site!
Post Reply Post Reply
I just ran three separate malware/virus program scans on the server with updated definitions and so far so good, they have detected no malware or viruses on the server.  The attack on the other forum may have been an SQL injection of some sort, and we've got a lot in place to mitigate those types of attacks.

Continuing to do several backups during the day, just in case.

The server load may be a bit high due to some of these measures, so the responsiveness of the forum software may be a bit slow at times, which is to be expected during scans & backups.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
Super awesome board here.
Post Reply Post Reply

I don't mean to be a smart ass but I can't help wonder why bother going to the other site.  This forum has been great.  And truth be told, I don't even know what the "other" site is.  Once I found Apnea Board, I stopped looking.
Post Reply Post Reply
FYI

All the spam is now gone and apparently the "Other Site" is now up.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are a large number of people who feel we moderate too much. That we choke out those we do not approve of. That we are dictators. Etcetera etcetera.

Those who like the other forum over this one like it because they can say what they want however they want to say it. If that is what they want, they can find it there. Not here.
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

(05-29-2017, 04:14 PM)Fedman Wrote: I don't mean to be a smart ass but I can't help wonder why bother going to the other site.  This forum has been great.  And truth be told, I don't even know what the "other" site is.  Once I found Apnea Board, I stopped looking.

Different information, differerent prespectives. Takes all kinds, but I feel like the deep expert advice on this forum is better. But if you want to rock and roll - go to that other forum.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From the heavens....... Dreamcatcher 3 1,678 04-24-2012, 10:02 PM
Last Post: PollCat