Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Thanks from a new member!!!
Brick 
Thanks from a new member!!!
Hello,

I am a new member and am one month into my new CPAP experience. First let me say THANK YOU to all of you in this board/forum. You have provided a ton of useful information!!

So far ... my issues are as follows:

1. Middle back pain ... sometimes intense...not sure what to do.
2. mask effecting my skin. I swear I'm starting to look like a panda but no one else in the family thinks so.
3. I'm getting obsessed about seeing my score as soon as I wake up.
4. Can't settle on the right mask. I go back and forth from full face to nasal.
5. Not sure what to do when I travel (which I do a fair amount for work). Lugging everything and trying to find distilled water on the road has led to some funny episodes.

Anyway, those issues pale in comparison to the improved amount and quality of sleep that I am getting!

Any thoughts and/or reactions to any of the above would be appreciated.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Thanks from a new member!!!
Welcome DrowsyNo, not sure what you mean by a panda, have you tried mask liners if the FFM is causing marks?
Post Reply Post Reply
^^^

I feel like I got bags under my eyes nowadays too which is terrible. I am thinking the mask might have caused it or something.
Post Reply Post Reply
Middle back pain, thats an odd one. After you wake up? Or does the CPAP force you into a position that causes it?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-15-2013, 02:13 AM)eviltim Wrote: Middle back pain, thats an odd one. After you wake up? Or does the CPAP force you into a position that causes it?

History is that for the first 3 weeks or so, no issues with back. Then I changed from a full face to a nasal mask and after 2nd day with the new mask I experienced intense pain in my upper/middle back. Not enough to wake me up - but if i do wake up, I feel it.

Based largely on my reading in this board I have two theories:

1. It is something called Aerophagia which when you essentially swallow air, it gets trapped in your stomach. The pain from the bloating and gas can be felt in the back.

or

2. I am getting such good sleep (for the first time in many years) that I am actually staying in one place (on my back) and my muscles are getting sore from not enough movement.

I tend to think it is number 2 not number 1 because I use a chin strap and don't seem to breathe too much out of my mouth. But I guess it is possible to breathe through my nose and still swallow air??

Finally, I switched back to the full face mask hoping I would return to the pain-free days, and the pain remains. I will say it is less intense than the first few episodes.

There - probably more than you wanted to know!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi DrowsyNoMo,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
As far as switching back and forth between two different masks, that's ok, some people switch between different masks at different times.
Hopefully, your back pain setttles down as you get used to the CPAP machine.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-15-2013, 12:43 AM)DrowsyNoMo Wrote: Hello,

I am a new member and am one month into my new CPAP experience. First let me say THANK YOU to all of you in this board/forum. You have provided a ton of useful information!!

So far ... my issues are as follows:

1. Middle back pain ... sometimes intense...not sure what to do.
2. mask effecting my skin. I swear I'm starting to look like a panda but no one else in the family thinks so.
3. I'm getting obsessed about seeing my score as soon as I wake up.
4. Can't settle on the right mask. I go back and forth from full face to nasal.
5. Not sure what to do when I travel (which I do a fair amount for work). Lugging everything and trying to find distilled water on the road has led to some funny episodes.

Anyway, those issues pale in comparison to the improved amount and quality of sleep that I am getting!

Any thoughts and/or reactions to any of the above would be appreciated.

Thanks

Your not the only one to experience what you're going through. I went through basically the same thing. I started out with a Nasal Pillow mask, didn't like it, tried ffm, nasal mask, finally went back to pillows with a chin strap and now feel comfortable at night with my machine.
Hang in there friend, things get better.
Sleep-wellCoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I've always used pillows. Tried a full face mask in hospital and didn't like it.
I'm not a Doctor but a fan of The Doctor. any views,comments etc are my own

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 134 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 494 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,021 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,556 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  New member sghalloway 11 996 10-07-2023, 02:13 PM
Last Post: sghalloway
  [Pressure] New member and new OSCAR user squiddog 4 456 09-19-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: squiddog
  New Member Intro and OSCAR charts DaveInDenver 2 426 08-11-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: DaveInDenver

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.