Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: RESMed Swift FX
Humidifier: Heated humidifier - 2
CPAP Pressure: 12.5-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Thanks to a nurse
So last summer I finally went in for surgery. I had a cyst in my wrist that everyone thought was no big deal, but I insisted so they scheduled surgery. It was an outpatient surgery and it was done under a bier block with twilight sedation (another funny story there for another time!). My pre op team consisted of a couple of nurses, I had one there full time and one left for lunch and some guy came in to take her place...he wasn't bright, I had to tell him not to put the IV in the arm the doc was gonna operate on! Anyway, so during the pre op screening my ortho had asked about CPAP and I had admitted that yes, I am supposed to be a CPAP patient, but I haven't been compliant for years. She didn't want to hear that and said that the only way she would do the surgery was to put me in a special OR with the capabilities for CPAP. Side note, "okay, but was a setting of 30 really necessary?" I swear that thing too all the wrinkles right outta my face! Anyway, so I was talking to the nurse in pre-op and she saw in my chart that I was a CPAP patient and she said that she had just come off a long rotation in the sleep group or whatever it was. She wanted to know why I was not compliant and she encouraged me to really think about it and get back with the program. Well she was just so dang convincing that I couldn't quit thinking about her and what she said. Earlier this year I woke up, yet again gasping for air right after planting my foot cleanly between my wife's shoulder blades with the force required to fell a small tree. Once I started breathing again, I couldn't get this woman outta my head.
I don't know her name, but I owe her a debt of gratitude. Whoever you are, if you ever see this "THANK YOU!"
The cyst was not one of those common cysts and took my doc a number of hours to disentangle it from the nerves and blood vessels, though it was not malignant. She told me at our follow up visit that she was concerned because she had never seen a cyst like that before but the kind folks in pathology had given me the green light! Lesson, listen to your body and stick up for yourself!
During the course of all of this, they also discovered that I have carpal tunnel in my other hand....No, what a surprise! LOL! I am now waiting on a date when we will take care of that. I am hoping beyond hope that I will end up with that same nurse so I can thank her!
"So that is the long version of the story of how I became "re-compliant"

As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
06-06-2012 06:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board