Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The 2319 breaths that my Dreamstation ASV took for me last night
The 2319 breaths that my Dreamstation ASV took for me last night
Before I start please allow me to declare that I have absolutely no financial interest in any CPAP equipment brand, including and not limited to Phillips or Resmed CPAP machines and their range of other respiratory equipment and accessories, other than my own investment in purchasing the ASV model of both brands for my own use.
That said, I am the proud owner of both a Resemd Aircurve 10 ASV and a Philips Respironics Dreamstation Auto SV machine, both of which I like a lot, except that I like my Dreamstation a lot more than I do my Resmed and with very good reasons. I am also fully aware of Phillips's infamous recall of their line of CPAP machines which also covers my unit, however my understanding is that the only identified cause for the degradation of the sound insulating "foam" inside these machines, is the use of Ozone gas which is employed by some CPAP cleaning equipment and since I never use these products, I am not worried about the ""killer foam" inside .
Back to why I like my Dreamstration a lot more than I do my Resmed and aside from the obvious superior engineered design of the Dreamstation, its firmware monitors, adjusts to and reports on some critical metrics that my resmed simply ignores (or just sweeps under the rug), while telling me that I am doing great under the therapy that my Resmed provides.
One of these critical metrics that my Resmed simply ignores, is "Patient-Initiated Breaths" and naturally "Machine-initiated Breaths", as you can see in a screenshot of my sleep data last night.
My Dreamstation provided me with 2319 breaths of fresh air last night within a span of some 6.5 hours, life saving breaths that I would have otherwise not taken by myself as a Central Apnea patient, leading to experiencing a miserable night of constantly waking up throughout and feeling exhausted in the morning and the rest of the day.
2319 machine initiated breaths is of course an average for me as some nights it can go down to a few hundred and sometimes it can go up as much as 4,000 breaths. I simply cannot predict how bad the night is going to be and since I am not on any form of opioids and I do not drink heavily (both known causes of aggravating CSA), it is only a game of chance as to what type of a night I am going to have. This is where my Dreamstation keeping tab on this very important data helps me understand the depth of this problem with at least some degree of accuracy.
As you can see in the graph, last night my own initiated breathing went up to almost 100%, on three different occasions, however my median "patient initiated breaths" remained at an alarmingly low 37% median threshold which means that I did not breath on my own for over 60% of the time.
Interesting to note that even though my dreamstation reports a much higher AHI as compared to when I use my Resmed ASV, my "TIME SPENT IN PANEA" is almost ZERO with Dreamstation and much higher with Resmed.
I believe it is only because my Dreamstation does a much better job of monitoring and reacting to a whole host of parameters that my Resmed simply doesn't bother with. So it is NOT because my Dreamstation isn't capable of lowering my AHI like my Resmed does, but simply because my Resmed isn't calculating the data correctly or even monitoring some critical items while my Dreamstation does a superior job of identifying events and reacting to them.
 I will of course followup with further posts to explore this comparison adventure between the only 2 commercially available home-use ASV machines, as we go along.
Here's a screenshot of last night's DS-1 data:

RE: The 2319 breaths that my Dreamstation ASV took for me last night
Some of my sister’s charts clock over 4,000 machine initiated breaths.  Mine are normally in the low hundreds. My tidal volume, minute vent, and oxygen saturation stay in an acceptable range, even with high AHI numbers.
Your sister must have what I have, a bad case of central apnea. No other machine that I know of can provide better therapy than DS Auto SV. Their New VPAP is also promising since it focuses on stabilizing volume and while they are both designed to act more like Ventilators than CPAP machines, I think their VPAP line may even be better at treating complex apnea situations when someone has both a severe case of Obstructive apnea as well as Central.
My Resmed ASV keeps me up all night, especially if I throttle up the Auto ASV parameters to the max like I do with my Dreamstation. 
My dreamstation keeps me asleep with ZERO interruptions.
(12-01-2021, 12:33 AM)LindanHotAir Wrote: ........ My tidal volume, minute vent, and oxygen saturation stay in an acceptable range, even with high AHI numbers.

Check your "Time in Apnea" in overview page of OSCAR. I bet your total time in apnea is low even though your AHI is high.
Below is mine. Note the last 10 days or so that I have been back on my DS-1....AHI has gone way up while my time in apnea has gone down to zero.

My total time in apnea is zero.  Periodic breathing is generally under 1%.  
My AHI has ranged from 3 to 9.  My machine doesn’t report mask pressure above 15.88.
My summary chart looks very similar to your last few days.

My sister has severe central apnea. Her untreated AHI was 72.  She needs the Philips with the backup rate of 11, and her treated AHI is 0 to 2.
Too-funny 2319!!
I totally thought it was going to be a reference to "Monsters Inc." and the scare floor!

QAL
LOL:-)
Sorry to disappoint Too-funny
(12-01-2021, 02:05 AM)LindanHotAir Wrote:   
My machine doesn’t report mask pressure above 15.88.
I am not sure but this maybe due to some setting in your ASV that limits your mask pressure at 15-16?
There was a bug in the Dreamstation ASV firmware in that it would never report pressure higher than 15.875. If higher pressures are being reported for you, and you have a later firmware version, perhaps Philip fixed the bug. That's nice to know.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Mine has V1.0.6 which I believe is their latest version. It can also be updated with the memory card.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with self-titrating BiPAP for UARS - low % of spontaneously triggered breaths? Bibbbooker 21 859 01-29-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Intermittent large breaths jwest 0 293 08-20-2023, 02:02 AM
Last Post: jwest
Question [Diagnosis] What are these deep breaths and holds? phr00t 8 1,336 07-28-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: Xeros
  Are my breaths normal? Long pauses, jagged lines. Nathan Graves 5 977 07-23-2023, 06:04 AM
Last Post: car54
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 851 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 898 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  New issue "missing breaths" on ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV schleepyhead 4 773 02-17-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: schleepyhead

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.