The Devils Dinner
Netskier Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset, Mirage Quattro Full-Face Mask, Slimline tube.
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: H5i, but not being used.
CPAP Pressure: 6-13 cm H20; Ramp OFF.
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Currently studying Reversal of Aging.

Sex: Male
Location: Los Angeles South Bay, about 20 min South of Downtown LA.

RE: The Devils Dinner
(03-23-2012 12:29 PM)Gazby Wrote:  
(03-22-2012 12:06 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  Actually, studies show that when you use a starvation kind of diet, the body stores more fat. It thinks food is scarce so it stores it.

Portion control, small meals with the largest being breakfast, healthy snacks, and simple cardio exercises. You want the heart to beat faster than it does when you sit still.

And see a registered dietician if you want food questions answered properly. Not a nutritionist, but a registered dietician. They know their stuff. The nutritionist I saw at the health dept showed me a food pyramid chart from the 70s and said: eat more of this stuff and less of that. No details and no portions. The dietician I saw two years ago was great. She fit my diet to fit me and my lifestyle then showed me how to adapt it as I went along. Wish I could go back to her.

Your completely right there Paula you need the fuel to lose weight so starving wont work as we say over here you cant run a car on nothing you have to put the fuel in to burn the miles Big Grin

Paula is right. Losing weight rapidly turns on the "thrifty" genes which protect us against starvation. Expressing these genes causes a whole syndrome of effects, all of which defend against weight loss, which is catastrophic for our goal of weight loss.

These thrifty gene effects include:
1. Increased hunger, hence food seeking, so more calories consumed;
2. Increased fatigue, hence less moving around, and a lot less exercise, so fewer calories burned;
3. Increased sleepiness, so fewer calories burned;
4. Decreased body temperature, so fewer calories burned, and more heat seeking and clothes wearing, so fewer calories burned;
5. etc. The list goes on and on.

Thrifty genes are nifty for starvation defense, but Hell on weight loss.

My age is none of my mind's business. --- Netskier
03-23-2012 06:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Good to know I'm thrifty at something, at least. Cool

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

03-23-2012 06:40 PM
Netskier Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset, Mirage Quattro Full-Face Mask, Slimline tube.
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: H5i, but not being used.
CPAP Pressure: 6-13 cm H20; Ramp OFF.

Other Comments: Currently studying Reversal of Aging.

Location: Los Angeles South Bay, about 20 min South of Downtown LA.

(03-23-2012 06:40 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  Good to know I'm thrifty at something, at least. Cool

Yep. By the way, the functional implication is to buy a digital scale capable of displaying weight to the tenths of a pound, and to weigh yourself daily understand standard conditions (upon awakening, pee-ed and perhaps pooped) to eliminate weight variances from these factors.

Then, set yourself the goal of losing weight so slowly that you don't get hungry, say 0.5 pounds per week or so. Less if you get hungry, more if you don't. Half a pound per week is 26 pounds per year, which is 260 pounds in ten years, so this slow rate will work, and if you can do it without feeling hungry, then why not do it?

Especially since this is almost the only way to drop weight and to keep it off.

I got mine at Costco for about twenty bucks; I try to stay out of Walmart because they kill off local businesses.

My age is none of my mind's business. --- Netskier
03-23-2012 06:49 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What's for Dinner?? retired_guy 6 1,107 09-11-2014 04:23 PM
Last Post: retired_guy