Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The DreamStation Foam Removal Thread
RE: The DreamStation Foam Removal Thread
I like the thick super glues with a fast cure called Zip Kicker, once cured and flushed with air on my small cuts, it is a very inert finished product.

The duct tape is just insurance as a backup.

Clean and simple.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
I personally wouldn't do this as the machine is you or your families only real evidence. It is your machine hence registered in your name at Phillips. Its the direct link between you and Phillips. In the event of your death (hopefully never). Its the only real proof you used a Phillips Machine. If you violate the machine then the lawyers can say oh he broke into the machine he damaged the foam. I dont plan to have anyone repair or even send in my machine. It is going in a closet as proof for my family to sue the pants off Phillips if needed. I understand people feeling like they have to do something because of cost. Honestly this is why you have an emergency fund. Plus why in the world would you want a Phillips machine ever again?

I would just buy a new machine. They are not that costly.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is my latest update on the foam removal of System One machines.

I was able to clean and remove the foam from my Series 60, ASV, and a older Series 50 BiPAP machine I lost a 60 Series BiPAP to bad foam and I think a So Clean type machine.

I was given two System One BiPAPs. I wanted to do the foam removal then to clean and do my clean plastic bottom plate and different foam repair.

BUT one had gooey foam, and it will not clean up. And I suspect the flow sensors are gone bad too as even with a full set of replacement parts from my old dead series 50 ASV, it does not control the fan so it is dead. The fan just runs wild.

All the soft plastic and rubber parts were also gooey so all the insides were bad.

I cover my cleaning of the System Ones and this poor machine on my personal page at https://www.facebook.com/Coyle-Medical-s...3598461353

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Nice comment, Brent. Makes a lot of sense. Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well here is my take on all of this.

First I need the most expensive ASV machine, not a plain old CPAP.

Second I need my Machine to sleep.

Third, my official machine is now 5 years old.

Forth, and it is a bootlegged upgraded APAP machine into a ASV.

Fifth, with all the above there is a fair chance of my getting nothing.

Sixth, RESMED has foam in THEIR machines...it is hidden in the fan housing.

Seven, I am getting a new sleep study and if I qualify I will get a ResMed Air Curve 10 ASV from Medicare which after a month of testing and recording my behavior on it, I will then remove the foam and test for a second month and see it it makes any change.

Eight, I just have a full blood workup and was given not only all clear but told I am showing great reports and I also saw my Pulmonest/sleep doctor last week and my lungs are clear and I have not found any bad foam in any of my personal machines nor have even been foolest to use a So Clean.

So far I am not in the 3% to say worst case 10% of people getting sick from these machines.

So I feel unless you're having problems that are not of any other causes and your Doctor THINKS IT might be caused by your use of these systems you have a small chance of both getting sick and having to sue anyone.

Also as many of these cases most likely will involve the SoClarn type of machines and as both companies have warned about them I can bet Phillips will be able to say: "You did not follow instructions, and used an unauthorized machine on your machine and that is what caused your illness, go sue them, we are not responsible for you illness."

So I rather act proactive and take no chances that the foam in any sleep machine goes bad and remove it. (The subject of this thread)

That goes for all sleep machines.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
A serious question Rich, if you get the ResMed ASV and operate on it one month after you get it to rip the foam out, what if you mess it up?

Realistically you do what you want, but calculate that kind of risk before you leap. You could inadvertently trash a new ResMed ASV and be stuck. I've stuck with the saying for many years: "If it ain't broke don't fix it". Because truthfully, you don't know if the ResMed foam is hazardous. You believe it's gotta be the same, or similar, to Respironics' foam, but I've not heard evidence that's the case.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The ResMed foam is located under the Fan housing, no cutting, just three screws to remove to open it.

Easy to remove and easy to replace.

Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdtAVk2R_FY

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Stay on topic. This thread is about PR foam removal not ResMed. Start a new thread for ResMed. Should I have your posts moved?
Post Reply Post Reply
I personally removed the foam from my Dreamstation One machine without cutting or modifying anything and I think that's the best way to do it. I found a YouTube video showing how to remove the foam with a metal coat hanger and that's what I did. No cutting, gluing, modifying, no damage, or anything else. Removed the foam and then rinsed and soaked it multiple times to make sure it was thoroughly clean. I will say this, it's not super easy or fast, it took me about an hour to get the foam out and was frustrated at least once, but I got it all out. Been using my machine for almost 2 weeks now with no worries or issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2021, 06:37 AM)Zalagar Wrote: I personally removed the foam from my Dreamstation One machine without cutting or modifying anything and I think that's the best way to do it. I found a YouTube video showing how to remove the foam with a metal coat hanger and that's what I did. No cutting, gluing, modifying, no damage, or anything else. Removed the foam and then rinsed and soaked it multiple times to make sure it was thoroughly clean. I will say this, it's not super easy or fast, it took me about an hour to get the foam out and was frustrated at least once, but I got it all out. Been using my machine for almost 2 weeks now with no worries or issues.

I agree this does seem a good way to get it out IF you can put up and keep working at it.

Here is that video, it is called No Cutting CPAP Foam removal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-xBt6v_JQQ

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,075 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,269 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,621 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  CPAP compressed air path design, foam, filtration & maintenance MaNoise 10 227 03-25-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MaNoise
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 967 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,214 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Jan's - Therapy Thread Jan Flikweert 71 2,590 03-21-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Jan Flikweert

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.