Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The DreamStation Foam Removal Thread
RE: The DreamStation Foam Removal Thread
Not having one of these things in my lap to play with, but can the opposite side, devoid of sensor ports, be cut to gain access for surgery? Or would that complicate things?
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
If you watch the video of the coat hanger removal method, you don't use those two small holes at all. Only the Intake hole that pulls air through the filter and the bottom hole that the turbine pulls air from. I got all the foam out with any damage, repair, or modding.

[Image: s3A04hL.jpg]
[Image: j5Hq4hc.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
[Image: SyfXCrN.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
I watched that coat hanger video and couldn't help to wonder, if one of those claw screw grabbers might have made the job easier:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61gS...L1500_.jpg
Post Reply Post Reply
I just watched the coat hanger video. It was painful to watch. I would love to have one of these chambers in hand to give another method a try that was floating around in my little pea brain.

Get a fairly generous amount of baby shampoo mixed with water and fill the chamber so everything is well lubed up. Shake it all up in there. Stick the nozzle of an air compressor in one end, seal with a rag and give it a blast. Do both sides. Rinse well.

I could imagine the foam would make a hasty exit from the chamber without putting up much of a fight.

Enjoy the baby shampoo scent for a night or two.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
Not saying your wrong, but I doubt that would do much at all, the foams in there pretty good, also there is a pretty big air gap under the foam, it doesn't cover the whole airway so the air pressure would just go right under the foam most likely. The coat hanger method does take a bit of time and patience, but it wasn't too bad. 

As for the claw, I thought of that also, but it wouldn't be able to make the tight angles very well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-04-2021, 02:49 PM)Zalagar Wrote: If you watch the video of the coat hanger removal method, you don't use those two small holes at all.

Yep, I'm aware. I just wanted to warn people that if they get too aggressive with any removal tool and accidentally stab it into the flow restrictor grating (which sits below those two holes), their machine might no longer measure flow rate correctly. That grating creates a tiny pressure delta which is measured on each side, and from that, the mass flow rate is back-calculated. Even the tiniest damage to that grating will affect the pressure delta vs. flow rate calibration.

The reason I mentioned this is another person a few posts prior said their reported tidal volume seemed to be different after removing the foam. Tidal volume, flow rate, etc. come from the differential pressure sensor measuring across the grating.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all,
just skimmed the latest posts. When I last was reading on the forum there was a view that just taking out the foam without any alterations could compromise the accuracy of the setup but reading this thread now this seems to no longer be the view - am I correct on this takeway?

I hacked my Dreamstation such that I think impacted the flow sensor. But, as a fall back I removed the foam of my Dreamstation Go which didn't require any cutting into the pump housing. It seems to working fine and has now become my daily - so I guess I am lucky in that regards.
Post Reply Post Reply
Which method did you use to remove the foam, and how did you seal it back up?

(08-05-2021, 03:46 AM)qwerty42 Wrote: Yep, I'm aware. I just wanted to warn people that if they get too aggressive with any removal tool and accidentally stab it into the flow restrictor grating

Sorry if my post sounded aggressive, I didn't mean it that way at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
Today I took apart my Dreamstation I observed numerous people worried about excess glue and tape and other foreign object from off gassing. What I did was heat up an exacto knife and sliced three cutts in the side and peeled back the plastic.

Then after the foam was pulled out through the hole i gently pressed back the plastic and used a hot exacto knife to meld it back together Was it air tight no should i be worried  no the holes was insignificant only saw them through my a jewelers loupe so I put it back together.
Works great
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,964 359,518 Yesterday, 02:17 PM
Last Post: btreger
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 37 1,076 04-16-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  sleepingbetterinFl - Therapy Thread sleepingbetterinFl 82 571 04-13-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Wjg's Therapy Thread wjg1 35 817 04-12-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: wjg1
  [Treatment] Valtor Therapy Thread - from Autoset to Vauto Valtor 50 1,370 04-12-2024, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 34 2,771 04-08-2024, 03:26 PM
Last Post: IanD
  mallar's therapy thread mallar 11 279 04-06-2024, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.