Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The DreamStation Foam Removal Thread
RE: The DreamStation Foam Removal Thread
Welcome to the forum rocketrobo.

I like your idea (or the "original poster's" idea). I think a stepper drill bit would be a good choice to make precisely round holes in the plastic chamber. Well done.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
I was thinking exactly the same. A step drill will make this just just about fool proof. Nice job.

PS - I cannot seem to find the original post with links either. Can you please post a link to this caps. Thx!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all. 
I’m new here and only heard of the recall yesterday, I have watched all videos on how to remove the deadly foam beast to which I have now completed. I used a fine dremmel disc to cut thin slots ( I cut four slots then left one corner in tact ) make sure to keep the pieces of plastic that come off when cutting, I then removed the foam with small pliers and all residue in the chamber with vinegar and washed thoroughly with soap and water, ensuring no black particles remained. As I don’t believe in using other any other foreign products (such as glues etc) to seal the cuts,  I actually used a small soldering iron to melt the cuts back together along with the pieces I kept after cutting to fill / melt into where needed. After sealing I then put water in the chambers to check for leaks. So far all good. DONT FORGET to clean the impeller (fan) completely removing particles at both intake and outlet ports. Let’s see what the future holds Happy breathing all.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: The DreamStation Foam Removal Thread - Food grade plug inserts for foam removal
Food grade plug inserts for foam removal

In reference to my post #60 above:

The Amazon link for these 1/2" plugs is:
amazon.com/dp/B08QC9X3FX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

The Amazon search string for the 1/2" plugs is:
Plastic Stopper Replacement Plug for Salt and Pepper Shakers, Flower Pots, Bottles, Pipes etc (4 pieces) (1/2" (12.7mm))

The description of the plugs are:
 - Size: 1/2" (12.7mm)
 - Package: 4 pieces
 - Material: food grade plastic
 - Color: white translucent

There are other stoppers available, but I like these because the small "flanges" provide a good lock seal on the plastic material of the air chamber.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks!  I wonder how hard it would be to trim down the depth to avoid turbulence. You only really need one level of the ribs to secure, along with the tape. Excellent solution.  Thank you for sharing!
Post Reply Post Reply
I considered trimming the plugs shorter, but they only project about 3/16" into the chamber so it didn't seem like this would create much turbulence. And the slight taper on the open end makes them extremely easy to insert.

I think this solution is one of the easiest, safest, and quickest of any that I have read (for foam that has not visibly degraded).
Post Reply Post Reply
That is a pretty good idea, but honestly, if you have a solder iron, I'd rather just remove the foam, then plastic weld the flaps back together. No cost and not adding any variables or tape.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thumbsup 
I have the Dreamstation Go and would like to do the same. I'd appreciate seeing more photos, if you wouldn't mind sharing. Many thanks for your work and information.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-30-2021, 03:10 AM)BestDreamYet Wrote: I have the Dreamstation Go and would like to do the same. I'd appreciate seeing more photos, if you wouldn't mind sharing. Many thanks for your work and information.

Have a look at this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs3SfX60I1Y

It starts off with it already disassembled and the foam removed, but if you watch how he puts it back together, you can work backwards to disassemble.

This video was what gave me the courage to do the same to mine.
One thing I'd like to add, that I did not need to remove the motor from the plastic casing.  Once you get the whole blower casing assembly out, you can reach in through the intake hole and start gently pulling and prying.  What I did was use some large tweezers to get it going, then once some of it is out the hole, reach in with a skewer to gently pry the remaining foam over the little plastic post that keeps it in position. You should be able to maneuver the whole thing out in one piece.

Oh, and regarding the screen and capacitive button ribbon connectors, you technically don't need to remove them from the board.  Just lift carefully and get someone to hold it up for you while you undo the screws holding the motherboard in place.  I was doing it solo, so I opted to remove the ribbon cables.  They weren't hard to snap back into place, but if you are not familiar with how ribbon cables are snapped into the connectors, you just need to know that you don't have to strictly remove them in the first place.  Just be very careful not to accidently yank them out...
Post Reply Post Reply
Just make sure, no matter what method you use, completely remove the whole chamber, and rinse it out thoroughly with soap and water. If you have an air compressor, blow out the chamber with air to help dry it if needed and you might even want blow out the turbine blower also, just incase there is any particles inside of it. Just don't spin the the blower up at super high speeds.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 34 954 Yesterday, 04:56 AM
Last Post: MaggieL
  sleepingbetterinFl - Therapy Thread sleepingbetterinFl 82 479 04-13-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Wjg's Therapy Thread wjg1 35 801 04-12-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: wjg1
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,963 358,874 04-12-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: btreger
  [Treatment] Valtor Therapy Thread - from Autoset to Vauto Valtor 50 1,329 04-12-2024, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 34 2,744 04-08-2024, 03:26 PM
Last Post: IanD
  mallar's therapy thread mallar 11 260 04-06-2024, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.