Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The DreamStation Foam Removal Thread
RE: The DreamStation Foam Removal Thread
Well... look what I did. Opened the machine and somehow dropped it immediately which tore the connector clean off. Was hoping just the screen would be impacted but it's totally busted. The power light flashes which might be because the modem was out for an extended period of time and I have to go through some startup prompt, but I don't have a working screen to do anything. Going to send it back to DreamStation and hope they miraculously don't void my warranty. Sigh. Be careful. (If anyone knows where I can get a replacement display, let me know please).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the ApneaBoard destroyedcpap. (Hey, you're stuck with that name now.  Big Grin )

I doubt Philips would repair it under warranty. Especially since they have bigger fish to fry with the recall.

But I have a suggestion. Post online anywhere you can think of for a "Wanted - parts only Philips Dreamstation CPAP". Try Craigslist, OfferUp, Facebook Marketplace, any local neighborhood posting sites. Be willing to pay for postage of course. I think a lot of these Philips machines are being tossed into recycle bins and landfills just because of the recall alone. And then there are the ones that have a bazillion hours on them or just plain died.

If you can get your hands on one for cheap, you can harvest the ribbon cable and make yours functional again.

The end of the ribbon connector you show has a connector that can be easily disconnected. The gray plastic part should be the latching mechanism. You didn't show a closeup of the other end, but I would assume it has the same connector too. If so, it would be a simple fix if you can get your hands on a dead machine for parts.

I think this is straying off topic, so watch for one of the admins to break it out to a new thread.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
Has there been no progress on foam removal by dissolving it ?
Perhaps someone that has removed the foam mechanically could do some tests with their foam scrap.
Would have to be something safe enough on the plastic housing so as not to etch or soften it.
How about boiling it in water ??
Post Reply Post Reply
I removed the foam today from my DS1 BiPAP.  All is well thanks to the info in all of the videos and posts.  Thank you all. 

I used a solder iron to cut into the chamber.  The cut was a bit wide, and I was afraid my solder "welding" repair was too weak.  I added hot glue outside of the weld.  It worked OK, but I used too much hot glue. It kept the outer shell from locking back into place.  It was a simple fix to remove some of the glue and "level" the repair with the solder iron. 

I am 99% sure there was glue on top of the "rib".  I was able to remove most of it through my cuts.  I was unable to remove one small spot of glue with a small amount of foam stuck on it near the louvered vent.  I could have cut a third hole, but decided not to.  I tried alcohol, but it did not dissolve the foam.  As suggested in the previous post, the issue may be that a solvent that dissolves foam may also damage the plastic housing. 

If I did this again, I might consider using a box knife to cut the plastic.  That would make it easier to "weld" back and get a solid repair.  I chose not to use a box knife this time as I am getting older and it is getting more difficult to do things with my hands.  The solder iron was very easy, but made wider cuts in the housing.   

I ran the machine for an hour or so.  I put on my mask for a few minutes.  Everything seems normal.  There is perhaps a bit more noise from the air moving through the machine.  I do not expect I will notice a big difference. 

I will keep my foam, but I do not expect I will ever need it.  Philips will want to keep the repairs short and simple, and to make an issue about the foam being removed would take a great deal of time for them.  Besides it would be a PR disaster on top of one HUGE PR disaster. 

I am looking forward to sleeping without the foam for a few days to see how I feel.  I will report any issues that occur.  Thanks again to everyone for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Re- Cutting with a soldering iron and adding hot-melt

I can appreciate getting older (aint we all) and having some difficulties with knife cuts etc.
Some concerns perhaps of using hot-melt glue, it may offgas itself. At the least, blow air thru it for a good chunk of time.
Someone posted earlier about hotmelt sometimes losing its stickiness to some surfaces, so that may start 'cracking' some leaks. Leaks in the box, depending on where it is, can throw off the sensors.
Post Reply Post Reply
Although I'm still on my heels with my 4 month old machine waiting for what they have planned for me, I've watched every Youtube video out there to prepare for next steps. Imho, the easiest and cleanest method I've seen so far is using the step drill, with the salt shaker plugs mentioned in this thread. I think the only thing I would change is to cut back the depth of the plugs to leave one rib. With the aluminum tape, that is a very clean solution.
Post Reply Post Reply
So would there be any issues with the melted plastic emitting harmful toxins when soldering the cuts back together?  I
Post Reply Post Reply
I do not think heat would cause changes in plastic that cause it to emit toxins.  Honestly, that is way outside my area of expertise.  I did see plastic welds that I believe were used to manufacture the part.  Personally I would not be concerned about that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2021, 04:04 PM)TrailerSweetheart Wrote: So would there be any issues with the melted plastic emitting harmful toxins when soldering the cuts back together? 

Definitely do it in a well-ventilated area and avoid breathing the smoke fumes in, but once the plastic cools and hardens, it will not off-gas. Make sure to rinse the chamber out thoroughly with soap and water thoroughly to get the foam residue and particles out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, I'm new.

I have a Dreamstation that's around 5 years old (version 1.0x) and a newer Dreamstation that I purchased about 8 months ago.   I used the coat hanger method to remove foam from the older unit, then used it over the last couple of weeks (no issues).  Today I removed the foam from the newer unit.

On the older unit, the impeller chamber was completely clean after removing the foam.   On the newer unit, some type of glue appeared to have been used.   I was left with thin strips of black against the chamber, where I assume glue was used.  Since I used a coat hanger and didn't cut, I could get rid of this.

Any thoughts on if having these thin residue strips left in the chamber are worth worrying about?    I'd assume that tiny amount of residue left on the chamber body is no big deal.    Thanks

Here's an image.  I'm new and can't post an image or link.  Removing the beginning of the URL let me add it though:
ibb.co/LdQmBnC
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,075 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,268 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,620 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  CPAP compressed air path design, foam, filtration & maintenance MaNoise 10 227 03-25-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MaNoise
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 967 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,213 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Jan's - Therapy Thread Jan Flikweert 71 2,590 03-21-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Jan Flikweert

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.