Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The Esctacy of CPAP, and then the Agony :(
The Esctacy of CPAP, and then the Agony :(
[/font] My CPAP worked so well for the first three months I was ecstatic. Then I had a sinus infection, which cleared up, and have not slept well since then. Tried an auto-titrating machine, but still exhausted all the time. The really weird part is that some nights I have vivid dreams, like I did when I was sleeping well in the early days, but still really tired all day long no matter how much sleep I get the night before. Any suggestions? THANKS!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: The Esctacy of CPAP, and then the Agony :(
Hi mike,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Usually, the recommendation when you have a bad cold or sinus infection is to get a full-face mask, (FFM.)
Hope you get to feelin' better, best of luck and hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

I think you are going to need to start collecting data for SleepyHead in order to trouble shoot this.
#1. What kind of S9 do you have?
Some models do not collect efficacy data, just compliance data.
Once you start collecting the required data we can all help you find the trouble and come up with a strategy.
Right now though, you are flying blind.

Hang in there!

Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2013, 11:24 AM)mikehaze Wrote: Any suggestions? THANKS!
What model are you using? next to power button shows the model name
AutoSet and Elite are data capable machines - Escape is not (useless machine)

Have you had a followup with the sleep doctor?

What APAP have you tried and at what setting?

Without knowing more details cannot offer you any suggestions
AHI components, leak, etc ..

Profile shows ... Humidifier: unsure
Some people don,t use humidifier but for people like me ... its a must
If air feel too cold or too hot cannot get a good night sleep

Mask cushions do wear out over time and need replacing
Washing each morning to remove facial oil, does helps prolong its life and gives better seal ... better seal = better sleep

The manual available via email ... scroll down to bottom of page to 'how to ask for the manual via email'
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

S9 setup instructions and videos: http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup

Post Reply Post Reply
I couldn't help but notice that, according to what you wrote, everything seemed to go sour after the sinus infection and you use a nasal interface. Could it be possible that the sinus infection may have caused you to start breathing through your mouth after going to sleep? Could this have maybe started a bad habit of openining your mouth in your sleep? Therapy escaping through your mouth will be not be effective. If your machine is data capable, you can look at leak graphs - air blowing out your mouth will be recorded as a leak.
If you have unexplained high leaks or you don't know what leaks are because you can't look at data, then you should probably try a chin strap to see if that helps. You might just have to wear a chin strap for a while to re-train yourself to keep your mouth closed in your sleep.

Best of luck!

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I suspect you may not completely be over the infection or something about being sick changed your pressure needs. I disagree with zonk- the Escape model is not a useless machine- it's just not data capable. People used to go entirely on subjective feeling of well being before we had data capable machines to monitor our therapy.

Get yourself back to the doctor. Good luck, keep us up to date on how it goes, please.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, thanks everyone! And apologies for not checking back sooner. Frankly, I am amazed (and pleasantly surprised) at the personal responses you were all kind enough to leave. I will definitely be more active on this forum in the future. I have learned a lot about sleep apnea since I posted this message back in May and have used Sleepyhead software to find out that my AHI is now close to Zero... but am still very tired. Haven't regained that great restful sleep I experienced in the first six months of use. My sleep doctor is not interested in pursuing the matter any further and made me wait more than an hour in his waiting room last time I visited. The question about mouth breathing is a good one, jgjones. I may try a chin strap just for the heck of it. All the numbers on Sleepyhead look fine, except I don't know what an acceptable "leak rate" might be??? I will update my user profile right now. THANKS!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah... one more thing.... If I get 10 or 11 hours of sleep, which I can easily do some nights, I feel better than usual. Now if I could just win Powerball so I could sleep 11 hours each night and not have to work that would be perfect!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2013, 08:10 PM)mikehaze Wrote: Well, thanks everyone! And apologies for not checking back sooner. Frankly, I am amazed (and pleasantly surprised) at the personal responses you were all kind enough to leave. I will definitely be more active on this forum in the future. I have learned a lot about sleep apnea since I posted this message back in May and have used Sleepyhead software to find out that my AHI is now close to Zero... but am still very tired. Haven't regained that great restful sleep I experienced in the first six months of use. My sleep doctor is not interested in pursuing the matter any further and made me wait more than an hour in his waiting room last time I visited. The question about mouth breathing is a good one, jgjones. I may try a chin strap just for the heck of it. All the numbers on Sleepyhead look fine, except I don't know what an acceptable "leak rate" might be??? I will update my user profile right now. THANKS!!!

maybe your pressure needs to be adjusted or the doc needs to take a look at it and see. You can have a low AHI but still the pressure isn't right and your sleep quality isn't good.

My sleep quality isn't good but I have a low AHI (last night it was 0 but I only slept 4 hours). I don't feel rested b/c my pressure is all over the place. I have my appt. Monday and will see how well the doc responds to my concerns. If he doesn't listen and respond like he gives a care, I will find a pulmonologist. Maybe your O2 is low. I have been told that 85% O2 is not bad but if a person feels lousy, maybe it is bad for that person and maybe they are not getting enough O2 during sleep

I dunno what the answer is but just throwing a few thoughts out there for you
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks me50. That is helpful. I assumed low AHI meant good quality sleep but I will rethink that. Maybe I can check my O2 somehow? I'll do some more research.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.