Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The Esctacy of CPAP, and then the Agony :(
RE: The Esctacy of CPAP, and then the Agony :(
(10-23-2013, 09:03 PM)mikehaze Wrote: Thanks me50. That is helpful. I assumed low AHI meant good quality sleep but I will rethink that. Maybe I can check my O2 somehow? I'll do some more research.

post from Archangle:

I agree to not panic, but talk to your doctor.

Speculation: Higher pressure may reduce the urge to breathe. Partly this is because of deeper breathing lowering your CO2 level. CO2 in the blood is the main impetus to make you breathe. There are also some neurological effects from stretching out your lung tissues when your lungs get filled more deeply with air.

These are part of the explanations of why some people develop central apnea on higher pressure.

Maybe these effects will lower your O2 saturation without causing central apneas due to you breathing less.

You may also be having central apenas. That probably needs to be fixed.

I agree to not panic too much over the 85%. Talk to your doctor. It may be that 85% is not too much of a problem if there's an explanation for why that happens. It might also correct itself as your body adjusts to CPAP.

You might want to get a recording pulseox and do your own testing at home. Be sure to get one of the recording pulseoxen like the CMS-50D+. (Note the plus). A non-recording pulseox doesn't do much for sleep apnea testing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Get the free SleepyHead software here.
What CPAP machine to buy.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just tossing an idea in here? Depending on how sick you were, you may well be needing more sleep while your body recovers. Some folks simply need more sleep than others, and mouth-breathing may be a possibility as stated above. A leak rate over 0/4L/s or 24.0L/m *could* be an issue.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
I cannot believe this. After reading your comments about possible leaks, I pulled out a full face mask that I tried for a few nights about 6 months ago -- the Mirage Quatro -- and I have been sleeping well for several nights now. Is it possible I was opening my mouth when I was wearing the nasal FX and it was leaking? God almighty, I feel pretty damned good right now. I cannot believe none of the health care professionals I deal with ever suggested this -- not my pulmonologist, not my primary care doctor, and certainly not the bozos who supply my CPAP equipment. I'll keep you all posted, but I am really hopeful right now. You cannot imagine how this changes things for me (or maybe you CAN imagine). THANK YOU.
Post Reply Post Reply
WOOT~! Congrats and don't be a stranger! It's great when a simple fix can be found. Now watch your data for a week or so and see how you're doing. Be sure to let us know please?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I will definitely let you all know what my numbers look like in the next week or two. I have been through hell these past few months, even with "moderate" apnea. Did I mention my Dr. put me on Nuvigil to help me stay awake? Wow, what a nighmare that was. Maybe I can help someone else avoid the mistakes I made.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.