The Forgotten Health Benefits of Chinese Food
ApneaNews Offline
Apnea News Correspondent
Advisory Members

Machine: IBM Selectric II
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: 3M N95 (it gets dusty in the newsroom)
Humidifier: Sears Kenmore (circa 1979)
CPAP Pressure: 3200 psi
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: I report, therefore I am.

Sex: Undisclosed

[Image: chinesefood.jpg?w=360&h=240&crop=1]

By Joanne Chen

The dragons have retreated back into their basement storage and the crowds in your local Chinese restaurant have finally died down — sure signs that the two-week-long Asian party known as the Lunar New Year has come to a close.

But don’t put those chopsticks away. In fact, why don’t you invest in a rice cooker and wok, too? It’s time to make good on that flailing New Year’s resolution to eat healthy — and Chinese food, cooked and eaten authentically, can effortlessly get you back on track.

Japanese cuisine has dominated the health headlines for many years. And experts point out that Korean food is quite healthy, too. But do you know how obscenely expensive sushi-grade fish is? Can you really count on your local Stop & Shop to carry Korean chili pepper paste and dried anchovies? Chinese food, in contrast, isn’t precious. Its staples are available anywhere and make for a healthy, diet-conscious, portion-controlled meal. Eileen Yin-Fei Lo, author of many Chinese cookbooks, including Mastering the Art of Chinese Cooking, points out that as little as three-quarter pounds of chicken cut into strips, stir-fried with a few cups of broccoli, and served with steamed rice will serve four to six people. Try divvying up that same amount of grilled chicken breast Western-style, and chances are your guests will scoff, even if you’ve fixed up a couple of side dishes.

Chopsticks — which place far smaller bites in your mouth than a fork or spoon — may help keep portions down, too. A 2008 Cornell University paper reported that healthy-weight guests at a Chinese buffet were three times likelier to eat with chopsticks than obese guests. Brian Wansink, Ph.D., the study’s lead author, has also observed that chopstick-users go back to the buffet table fewer times. “Chopsticks help people slow down,” he says. And when you slow down, your body’s satiety signals are given time to do their job.

Soup — a mainstay of any authentic Chinese family dinner — is also a satiety-promoter. As Barbara Rolls, Ph.D., a Penn State psychologist and author, most recently of The Ultimate Volumetrics Diet, points out, eating a broth-based soup before a meal can reduce food intake by about 20%. Last fall, a European Journal of Clinical Nutrition paper suggested that this is because soups — particularly the smooth sort — take longer to leave the stomach than solids.

“But what about the white rice?” you might ask. True, the bowls are brimming. “But they’re also miniscule!” says Wansink, who, of course, is exaggerating, but only a little. The bowls I stole from my childhood home are utterly dwarfed by my Crate and Barrel purchases. No more than 100 or so calories of rice fit into them. And even if you go back for seconds, you probably won’t eat as much as if you started out with a larger bowl. “We tend to let exterior cues dictate how much we eat,” says Wansink, who later this year will be publishing Slim By Design, a follow-up to his successful first consumer book, Mindless Eating. (He also points out that plates in Chinese restaurants are about 9.5 to 10.25 inches, as opposed to the standard 12-inch plate in most Western restaurants.)

If you can go with brown rice, more power to you. But it’s nice to know that with Chinese food, you’re eating loads of vegetables, ginger and possibly mushrooms with your carbs. More importantly, the meat will lower your glycemic load, and the fibers in your greens will keep your blood sugar levels balanced. This means a more sustained feeling of fullness and energy, says Kantha Shelke, food scientist at Corvus Blue, a nutritional technology think tank in Chicago

If you cook and eat Chinese food authentically, you will also see why past reports about the mind-blowing salt and calorie content of Chinese take-out dishes misunderstand the cuisine. Yes, orange crispy beef has 1,500 calories — but it’s an atypical dish. The vast majority are steamed or lightly stir-fried, points out Farina Kingsley, the half-Chinese author of several Asian-themed Williams-Sonoma cookbooks who recently developed a Chinese-cooking app. Chinese recipes rarely call for more than two tablespoons of oil and soy sauce, and the oil is usually heart-healthy peanut oil.

According to Shelke’s calculations, if you cooked chicken breast authentic-Chinese-style five days a week instead of American-style, that would reduce your dinner each night by about 125 calories just through portion control alone. That’s 32,500 calories in a year — or almost 10 pounds by the time the Lunar New Year festivities roll around again. Now that’s something worth dragon-dancing about.

Fair use from:
http://ideas.time.com/2013/02/28/the-for...nese-food/

The above post may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. The material available is intended to advance the understanding of Sleep Apnea treatment and to advance the educational level of Sleep Apnea patients with regard to their health. Sometimes included is the full text of articles and documents rather than a simple link because outside links frequently "go bad" or change over time. This constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material in this post is distributed without fee or payment of any kind for research and educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this post for purposes of your own that go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
02-28-2013 12:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: The Forgotten Health Benefits of Chinese Food
Down-side: the rice can promote mucous production which for some OSA sufferers is an antagonist and not at all helpful in their therapy.

But any way to lose weight is of course good for OSA sufferers.

There is considerable evidence that the Mediterranean Diet is the healthiest of diets currently - no doubt for some, the Chinese diet will also be an alternative.
02-28-2013 04:32 PM
jgjones1972 Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro FX
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 - 20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: CMS50I PulseOx

That article was a trap.

The headline gets you all excited with the delusional false hope that it will say that fried wontons, crab rangoon, deep fried egg rolls and General Tso's chicken are healthy - then crushes your dreams by clarifying that what they mean is that it's ok to eat a thimble full of white rice.

Meanwhile, I'm left with a craving for lo mein and fried pork dumplings...

Oh-jeez
02-28-2013 05:37 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15

Other Comments:

Nah, for me it's chicken soo guy...
02-28-2013 08:26 PM
Ugly Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Micro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 7-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Hydrocephalus, myopia, depression, chronic ugliness, stupidity, tinnitus, mixed sleep apnea.

(02-28-2013 12:32 PM)ApneaNews Wrote:  [According to Shelke’s calculations, if you cooked chicken breast authentic-Chinese-style five days a week instead of American-style, that would reduce your dinner each night by about 125 calories just through portion control alone. That’s 32,500 calories in a year — or almost 10 pounds by the time the Lunar New Year festivities roll around again. Now that’s something worth dragon-dancing about.

Always loved all you can eat buffet joints. And if it's full of forgotten health benefits it's because it's buried under all the calories. Yum.
02-28-2013 11:37 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(02-28-2013 04:32 PM)wilorg Wrote:  There is considerable evidence that the Mediterranean Diet is the healthiest of diets currently -
[Image: PJ-AZ760_MEDDIE_G_20110307200319.jpg]
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Why-to-eat-like-a-Greek
03-01-2013 03:10 PM
Travisty Offline

New Members

Machine: IntelliPAP Standard Plus
Mask Make & Model: unsure
Humidifier: unsure
CPAP Pressure: 10
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

I was always surprised at how skinny Chinese people are. I suppose it's not because of genetics but their diet is generally healthier, portions are much smaller, most red meat is replaced with fish, and variety of food is more.
05-14-2013 08:13 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Shastzi Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: FitLife Total face mask
Humidifier: F&P HC150 with Hybernite heated hose.
CPAP Pressure: 15cm-20cm H2O (auto)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: CMS50-F wearable Oximeter; Software: SPO2 Assistant

Sex: Undisclosed

Make mine chicken lo-mein with chicken fried rice & vegetables!
Mongolian BBQ beef is good too...
and Szechuan....

Smile

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
05-14-2013 12:09 PM
Bompa Offline

Monitors

Machine: DreamStation Pro
Mask Make & Model: Nuance Pro
Humidifier: DreamStation Heated Humidifer
CPAP Pressure: 12.0
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

I don't care how good it is for me......I just LOVE IT!!!!!!
Coffee
05-14-2013 12:27 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Okay, that does it... now I have to get out my pre-packaged sodium-enriched La Choy Chop Suey mix in two cans... and mix it with a heathy portion of Minute Rice.

... oh, and two cups of coffee... (I don't do tea much these days).

[Image: eating-chinese-food.gif]

CoffeeCoffee

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

05-14-2013 06:24 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Benefits of regular exercise ?? GrammaBear 7 572 03-10-2016 04:36 PM
Last Post: GrammaBear
  Medicare Health Plans JimZZZ 39 5,206 10-23-2014 07:51 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  [News] Top VA Health Official Resigns under fire ApneaNews 2 907 05-16-2014 05:49 PM
Last Post: retired_guy
  Health information software? PaulaO2 6 2,015 10-05-2013 09:47 PM
Last Post: bwexler
  I hate the health care system JJJ 13 3,698 07-04-2013 12:30 AM
Last Post: archangle
  [News] Administration unveils health care regulations ApneaNews 1 1,171 11-26-2012 04:18 PM
Last Post: TheDreamer
  Example Of Why Health care Needs To Change Schnauzers 5 4 1,722 09-29-2012 01:27 AM
Last Post: Schnauzers 5