Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
The big difference between the 50's batteries and today's versions is the grid spacing. Close spacing (and a sort of sponge like dielectric between) reduces internal resistance thus making higher current delivery possible. When the 50's batteries discharged they swelled up but had room to do so while they dropped sulphate off and it sank to the bottom where there was ample space for quite a bit of it. When the sulphate filled the bottom area, it caused shorting of the cell. Sometimes passing a very high charging current through one of those old sulphated batteries would render it usable for a while longer.

Now we have close spaced cell grids, little space below and wonderful cranking amps. That is unless you buy a deep cycle battery which is more like the old 50's batteries and a little better.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting lnk Zonk. Looks like we'll have to watch our living room conversations if we have a smart Samsung TV.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-26-2015, 08:58 PM)zonk Wrote: Going off-topic a bit but nevertheless related to cars and cheats

Car-makers' rush to add wireless features has left cars open to hackers
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/consu...ijfbi.html

Samsung Smart TVs will listen to, capture and transmit your private conversations, company warns
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/consu...3a84o.html

Welcome aboard, brave new world awaits

Well, that turns me off Samsung. It's on a par with Sony putting a rootkit in music CDs that infected computers when a CD was played. They sought to control DRM. If a private citizen had done that hack, they would have gotten prison time for hacking; and maybe a terrorism charge to boot after the US Patriot Act. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_c...it_scandal. Never, another Sony product in my home.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Careful Mongo lest they hack your car and destroy your alternator (again ! ) Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-26-2015, 09:32 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: Careful Mongo lest they hack your car and destroy your alternator (again ! ) Big Grin

That's Mrs. Mongo's car. I have a 2005 Merc Grand Marquis. I know of no way into the Merc's system except through the OBD socket.

I drive the Merc so little that it's on a Battery Tender.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
If they tapped my car conversations pretty much all they would hear is: "Bleep-ing mother bleep-er, doing bleep-ing x under the bleep-ing speed limit in the left bleep-ing lane with the right bleep-ing indicator on for the last bloody-heck mile you: String("Bleep", 9999999)

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply

Sounds a little like my alone car conversations. Too-funnyHuhsign

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2015, 08:22 AM)AlanE Wrote: If they tapped my car conversations pretty much all they would hear is: "Bleep-ing mother bleep-er, doing bleep-ing x under the bleep-ing speed limit in the left bleep-ing lane with the right bleep-ing indicator on for the last bloody-heck mile you: String("Bleep", 9999999)
They've a machine can decipher the words
Post Reply Post Reply
Mongo,

Just replaced the alternator in my 08 Saturn Vue and it ran me about 900. I also replaced the serpentine belt while they were there as they had to remove it anyways. This was on top of two batteries - on for this Vue and the other for my wife's 06 Vue. Now I need to find someone to recharge her A/C without telling me I need to replace the system (got a leak somewhere and have been quoted $2000+ to fix it).

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply

[Image: gbu_eyes.png]

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel-good story of the day: Walmart Cashier... S.L. Ping Beauty 2 96 11-14-2017, 11:33 AM
Last Post: GrammaBear
  Acrobat alternative PDFCreator, good/bad? justMongo 13 1,179 07-14-2016, 06:00 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Good news: No link between coffee consumption and common type of irregular heartbeat DeepBreathing 13 1,351 12-13-2015, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyH
  so hard to get a good coffee Paptillian 38 6,598 05-24-2015, 08:40 PM
Last Post: 2PAPs
  Oh good grief, what next? retired_guy 4 876 11-28-2014, 02:46 AM
Last Post: herbm
  [News] Study says coffee is good for your eyes SuperSleeper 2 1,202 05-06-2014, 10:27 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper