Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The Good, the Bad . . .
Rainbow 
The Good, the Bad . . .
The Bad:
The Dr. who wrote my Sleep study report is an idiot or worse: the Sleep study AHI was higher by a factor of 20 when supine - and she omitted any mention of position in the report. I had to request a re-review of the data, and the Sleep Tech had the data all along. Evidently the Sleep Dr. didn't believe I should know about this. Grrrrrr !!!

The above idiot suggested CPAP at 14 - not even close to being right. I feel sorry for others that deal with this person's incompetence or ignorance; if they aren't paying attention, their therapy could be far from what it could/should be.

The Good:
Found this Board: THANKS SO MUCH !!!!!!! Have learned a huge amount by browsing thru the threads. There is often something of value even in threads that wouldn't seem applicable from their title. There will be a donation to this board. Thank You ALL !!!!

Learned enough to insist on the ResMed S9 Autoset. My GP who wrote the prescription was cooperative.

Learned what software to use, where to download.

Learned how to avoid corrupting the SD card.

Learned how the S9 deletes some data, how frequently should download.

Learned how to control the machine, get into the Clinician menu, etc.

Learned a lot about the terms employed and how some of the factors interact.

Looking at data, have learned that my apnea is positional (supine is BAD).

Found here a number of suggestions for avoiding supine position.

Started using the above suggestions. In the 1st few weeks, average AHI was over 9, 95% pressure almost 18. In the last couple of weeks, average AHI about 1.0, 95% pressure about 13. Last night, AHI was 0.3 - 2 hypopneas, one of which was bogus, just a mask fit event !!!

Sleeping in a backpack isn't exactly comfortable, but it's way better than no treatment or poor treatment of the apneas.

I really feel like I am getting this under control. Thanks to the education from reading here, I found out where I needed to push, and it worked. I pull the card and check data every day right now. May back off that after while, but going to be vigilant for awhile.

All in all, the good FAR outweighs the bad . . .

Thank You ALL AGAIN !!!! Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: The Good, the Bad . . .
Good for you.

Some of us are also finding that with CPAP we CAN sleep on our back for the first time in years or even decades.

This board helped me in basically the same way. I took over my machine from day one, even before the first night.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, Becker44a,

Way to go!! I'm glad you not only had the "bad" to report, but the "good", too. And THANKS for thinking to donate to ApneaBoard. There are so many helpful folks here… and so much information. Good luck and keep us posted about your progress.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi becker44a,
Glad you found us and that you have learned so much, sounds like you are now off to a great start, keep up the good work and let us know how things go with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2014, 10:07 PM)herbm Wrote: Good for you.

Some of us are also finding that with CPAP we CAN sleep on our back for the first time in years or even decades.

This board helped me in basically the same way. I took over my machine from day one, even before the first night.

Too soon to have any conclusions, but my wife reports that now that I am PAPing, I can have a nap on the LR sofa, on my back or mostly so, without snoring. Before, that was NOT the case - the noise level was excruciating.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would suggest you consider avoiding any naps (you can) without your machine.

It probably won't kill you but many have recommended ensuring that all sleep is with the machine to encourage continued success and to more effectively heal your body (and mind.)

My rule: Before I lie down the machine is on and on; I only take off the mask once my feet are back on the floor.

You didn't ask, but it is something well worth considering....
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='becker44a' pid='64070' dateline='1396233603']
Sleeping in a backpack isn't exactly comfortable, but it's way better than no treatment or poor treatment of the apneas.

becker44a, Just wondering what you mean by "backpack." I suspect that I too have most of my events and higher pressures when I roll onto my back.

BTW, the experience you described with the sleep doctor, the forum and what you have learned is almost identical to mine.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-31-2014, 05:36 AM)JimZZZ Wrote:
(03-30-2014, 09:40 PM)becker44a Wrote: Sleeping in a backpack isn't exactly comfortable, but it's way better than no treatment or poor treatment of the apneas.

becker44a, Just wondering what you mean by "backpack." I suspect that I too have most of my events and higher pressures when I roll onto my back.

BTW, the experience you described with the sleep doctor, the forum and what you have learned is almost identical to mine.

Hi JimZZZ,
At first, when I was reading about the tricks people use to avoid sleeping on their backs, I thought they were kidding or exaggerating. Not anymore!!

I'm referring to a kid's school-type backpack, loaded with a variety of tennis balls, whiffle balls, etc. to provide lumpiness when rolling onto it. I tried the tee-shirt/tennis ball and it didn't handle the problem. As an alternative, my wife found a smaller nylon bag with cords that pull the top opening shut, and loop to the bottom, resembling a backpack. That seems to be almost as effective as the backpack, but is considerably lighter. Also, I am trying to rotate from one device to another, to avoid getting too used to any one, and having it lose effectiveness. Still looking for more ideas in this vein.

Handling my apnea is almost like treating 2 different patients, it is that different, supine vs non-supine.

Good luck, and keep us informed of your progress!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the board. Keep up the good work! Glad you found us and became knowledgeable early. I too found this board just after being diagnosed and had a month to read and soak in all the information I could before titrating. It was very valuable in pushing on the type machine, masks available, tips & tricks. Four months later and I still learn things here.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-31-2014, 11:10 AM)becker44a Wrote: At first, when I was reading about the tricks people use to avoid sleeping on their backs, I thought they were kidding or exaggerating. Not anymore!!

I'm referring to a kid's school-type backpack, loaded with a variety of tennis balls, whiffle balls, etc. to provide lumpiness when rolling onto it. I tried the tee-shirt/tennis ball and it didn't handle the problem. As an alternative, my wife found a smaller nylon bag with cords that pull the top opening shut, and loop to the bottom, resembling a backpack. That seems to be almost as effective as the backpack, but is considerably lighter. Also, I am trying to rotate from one device to another, to avoid getting too used to any one, and having it lose effectiveness. Still looking for more ideas in this vein.

Handling my apnea is almost like treating 2 different patients, it is that different, supine vs non-supine.

When I had my sleep test I slept mostly on my side. They managed to get me to sleep on my back for 10 minutes only. It was sort of a complete sustained apnea event. On my side I barely qualified for sleep therapy with the exception of the snoring thing, falling asleep behind the wheel of the car thing, and stuff like that. But supine? Forget about it! This was no surprise to me, I had not been able to sleep on my back for years, maybe zillions of years.

But with my trusty little mask I can now! My apneas are no worse on my back than they are on my side. I'm loving every minute of it. I no longer wake up with my back hurting, or my hip hurting or whatever. I flop around at night from back to left side anytime I want and love it.

I would encourage you to give it a try once you know you've got the therapy set right. You may be able to lose the tennis balls and back packs just fine.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 68 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 199 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 146 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 176 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 806 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  Poor quality sleep on ASV with good AHI sleepydawg99 8 623 12-19-2023, 12:23 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 682 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.