Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The HDM Z1
RE: The HDM Z1
Hi DaveP, WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm not sure if changing the tubing from smaller to standard would help but I guess you could try it and see, be sure to post back with your results if you decide to do that.
Hang in there for more responses to your post, best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The retailer offered a refund, but I really want this to work... I'd be using the cpap every day, just because of the backup battery power!
Post Reply Post Reply
It is such a new machine, I'm not really familiar enough with all it's features. Does it have the feature where you can change from one size hose, for example, the slimline hose, to another, such as the standard hose, like the Resmed machines do?
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-17-2014, 03:51 PM)DaveP Wrote: I bought the Z1 in January and just could not get to sleep with all that noise. I also bought the new Airfit (which is a joy!) but the cpap makes vacuum-like noise that's just too loud. The noise does not come from the machine itself, but from the end of the tube. I tried 2 masks with same results.

The inhale/exhale pressure was bothersome too but I'm sure I could get used to that.

The retailer I purchased it from verified the cpap and could not find anything wrong with it, so I think it's just not for me. Too bad, I really wanted it to work! Any advice would be appreciated. Would changing the small diameter tube to a standard one help?
You're not the only person to have issues with the noise. A number of people have reported this (this forum and elsewhere). Changing tube sizes won't help. I tried that. Repositioning the tube has helped some. I added an additional length of tubing and coiled it, to act as a make-shift muffler - this helped some. The real answer is for HDM to find the cause of the noise and find a way to quiet it. I suspect the noise is generated in the blower and is being transmitted via the tube to the mask exhaust port.

With regard to the pressure, a number of people are having that issue as well. For me, changing the CPAP1/CPAP2 mode to CPAP2 seemed to help, until the machine failed last week. Now it's really quiet....

Good Luck..
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-17-2014, 09:28 PM)johnnyashe Wrote:
(02-17-2014, 03:51 PM)DaveP Wrote: I bought the Z1 in January and just could not get to sleep with all that noise. I also bought the new Airfit (which is a joy!) but the cpap makes vacuum-like noise that's just too loud. The noise does not come from the machine itself, but from the end of the tube. I tried 2 masks with same results.

The inhale/exhale pressure was bothersome too but I'm sure I could get used to that.

The retailer I purchased it from verified the cpap and could not find anything wrong with it, so I think it's just not for me. Too bad, I really wanted it to work! Any advice would be appreciated. Would changing the small diameter tube to a standard one help?
You're not the only person to have issues with the noise. A number of people have reported this (this forum and elsewhere). Changing tube sizes won't help. I tried that. Repositioning the tube has helped some. I added an additional length of tubing and coiled it, to act as a make-shift muffler - this helped some. The real answer is for HDM to find the cause of the noise and find a way to quiet it. I suspect the noise is generated in the blower and is being transmitted via the tube to the mask exhaust port.

With regard to the pressure, a number of people are having that issue as well. For me, changing the CPAP1/CPAP2 mode to CPAP2 seemed to help, until the machine failed last week. Now it's really quiet....

Good Luck..

Thanks for the reply... I'll take the refund and wait until HDM comes with a better design then!
Post Reply Post Reply
Mr. Moore of HDM has contacted me. Keeping my fingers crossed for better things from HDM.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-23-2014, 04:46 PM)johnnyashe Wrote: Mr. Moore of HDM has contacted me. Keeping my fingers crossed for better things from HDM.

Somehow I thought they might be more sympathetic to the end-users than other CPAP company reps we've heard from here. Here's hoping that this ends well for everyone! Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2014, 11:26 PM)Regular Joe Wrote: I really appreciate all the feedback. I really want to buy this instrument in the next 30 days. I don't know now. I thought it might be the answer to my hunting and camping trips. I guess if I don't like it, I could put it on ebay or craigslist.

Joe:
ebay won't let you list DME type gear ... go ahead ask me how I know... Sad
Not sure about CraigsList...

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm hoping they get the bugs worked out.
I'm a backpacker and motorcycle "adventure" rider and this unit fits those kind of gigs very well.

On the website it says that the battery for the Z1 is 14.4V and that you need a "mobile power adapter" that runs at 19V to recharge the battery pack?

I was hoping to recharge it directly from my motorcycle without the need for any other equipment other than perhaps a custom wiring adapter. Has anyone dug into this?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah yes, NCZzzz, I should have known that. You can list it on Craigslist. You can buy ANYTHING on Craigslist......Search it sometime. I think I'm going to get the Transcend Auto instead. I've got some FSA money I've got to spend by mid March. I can't wait until HDM works it out. I do like it though.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.