Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The HDM Z1
RE: The HDM Z1
(01-05-2015, 08:32 PM)bill-e Wrote: coolspot, I think if it were me I'd swap that unit for another. I find it hard to believe that there are any hardware differences other than the power adapter (actually, I have no idea what Canada uses for power/plugs)

If there were the firmware wouldn't work.

Canada has the same power plug as the US; I'm surprised that Canadian sales are handled by Breas/HDM International and not HDM USA. It's very unfortunate because Breas/HDM International is located in Sweden and the time zone is +7 from EST - by noon, their work day is over. Not to mention, they don't respond to techsupport@breas.com.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2015, 10:30 PM)coolspot Wrote: Not to mention, they don't respond to techsupport@breas.com.

I finally got in touch with Breas support, they confirmed the incompatibility. Technical support said a new version of the software is coming next week. We'll see if this resolves the issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
Angry 
I would like to report my experience with CPAP. I use at home a ResMed S9. I feel fine with it: Not noisy, soft and smooth. I enjoy very much its use and my life has been considerably changed when I started the treatment.
As I travel by plain a lot for long flights , I purchased last year a Z1 from HDM for 1000$ (power shell included) with the insurance of a mac compatibility which did not come. I tried the HDM Z1 at home first. I had a bad experience. It is TOO NOISY and it is impossible to sleep with. When you are treated for sleep apnea, it is usual to have some sleep problems . With Z1 I cannot sleep at all because of noise, expiration, moisture filter too big to be placed over the head as I use my hose at home.

Second time HDM promised to develop a Mac user software. It did not come.

Third, HDM developed a power shell battery witch has a very low time of efficacy: much less than the 6 hours promised even with a full charge, and not plug with AC. In flight I can have only four hours of therapy with one battery.
At least the new auto set HDM Z1 appears less than one year after I bought my Z1 and this one is fully Mac compatible..., even with an App.
The response to all my complains from HDM is to say than I should buy this new one Z1 (800$) less than one year after my initial purchase. It seems me very expensive and not very commercial way to do.
When I fly I try to sleep without a CPAP and I am very tired on arrival. And I am sure that I will not go camping with it ....
THANK YOU SO MUCH..... HDM
I do not recommend to buy such a machine.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2015, 03:03 AM)Hillbillysleeper Wrote:
(12-31-2014, 06:47 PM)bill-e Wrote: The Z1 Auto sounds the same as the original Z1 but HDM will be releasing a fix in the next month or two. I used the prototype and it was like a night and day difference.

So the Z1 auto sounds the same? This fix you mention is it a different machine or a software update or what? I held out buying a z1 waiting on an auto version. I don't want to buy one now if you think they are going to fix the noise unless I know it will be resolved I a way that doesn't require a new machine.. Can you eloborate on the fix?

OK - I finally tried the Z-1 for a few nights. It worked, but it was VERY DANG LOUD at the mask end. I would likely use it on a short-term travel basis. I am guessing that the Z-1 Auto would be a great improvement in that it would start for me at 8 cm and not the 11.5 cm I run the Z-1 cpap at.

However, I spoke with HDM very recently re: the noise. They suggested that I use a 6 ft, 22 mm hose. I said - no that defeats the intention of running the Z-1 - ultra small size and portability. They asked if I ran the little humidifier thing. I said no, I do not want humidification when I am on the road. And I do not need a pricey little doo-dad that requires regular replacement. In my conversation, I stressed a likely fix would be to just eliminate the expiration relief setting from their Al Gore Rhythm so you have a steady frequency whine rather than one that continually modulates high to low and back. I could get into that a little bit more kind of as a white noise. They said that had been suggested by some users but nixed by their engineering/design folks?!?

So, finally, we talked about their "fix". The way they described the "fix" sounded like a small muffler device to be used inline with the tube. They indicated that it would go at the mask end of the tube. I REALLY don't want anything else hanging off my face. I think an integrated muffler that would be part of the tubing adapter would be better (one less piece to lug), but we'll see.

I think the Z-1 *might* be a good niche machine: travel use. It worked for me, but putting it on was not something I look forward to like I did the S-8, S-9 or the PR System One. They need to overcome the noise factor, even if it has to be with a small add-on device.

They didn't have a hard release date for the muffler, but they made it sound like they expected it to be soon, which I inferred to mean a few weeks to a month so maybe by mid to late April?

OMM

Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, since they released that info I can say it is a muffler and I use it with a short piece of hose near the machine end. I use mine more than my system one and to me it is just as comfortable. I hope the production version works as well.

I found the included 4' hose to be too short and noisy so I quickly went to a full size hose. I coil my hose in my roll aboard so the added hose and muffler is not an issue.

I hope I can use the production unit at the machine end...I gotta believe that the rep had that wrong, because the HMI goes on that end and the muffler would be too heavy attached to the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2015, 01:15 PM)bill-e Wrote: Ok, since they released that info I can say it is a muffler and I use it with a short piece of hose near the machine end. I use mine more than my system one and to me it is just as comfortable. I hope the production version works as well.

I found the included 4' hose to be too short and noisy so I quickly went to a full size hose. I coil my hose in my roll aboard so the added hose and muffler is not an issue.

I hope I can use the production unit at the machine end...I gotta believe that the rep had that wrong, because the HMI goes on that end and the muffler would be too heavy attached to the mask.

Oh Man, you spilled the beans......you violated your non disclosure agreement!!!!!!

I'm Telling !!!!!! Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
ABOUT FACING TO THE REAR

After doing some thinking and soul searching, I have decided to pull the plug and do an about face on the HDM Z-1 CPAP. A few folks like 'em; it seems most ya folks I read on the boards don't. Noise is the concern voiced most frequently. Random failing to function in the field is a distant second, but still notable, theme of reports since one failure to me, while not likely, could be cataclysimcal in impact.

I gave it a try and while it worked, I am becoming convinced that there are better options out there for a travel machine for me - a rock solid reliability reputation - one that I have proven out to myself - and one that offers comfort.

A version of a machine I used for several years.

An S-8 Autoset II.

You see, I started on an S-8 Elite. It ran and ran - ResMed did a recall after a year or so and gave me a new machine that ran and ran and ran and ran and ran and ran and ran - the second one I had for at least 5-6 years and it had, IIRC, over 15,000 hours, maybe 16,000 on it when I moved to the S-9 AutoSet as my primary. The S-8 traveled really well for me and was actually more convenient than the S-9 for travel in that it didn't require a stoopid power brick. Just a skinny cord that can be found lots of places. I once went on a job interview trip and forgot the cord. I was able to buy a replacement on a Sunday evening, at Radio Shack and showed up Monday, well rested for the interview. Had that been an S-9, I should have been SOL for that trip and likely a zombie the next day. (Nobody I know in retail stocks S-9 power brick cords.)

Anyway, I found a supplier that had an inventory of NOS, NIB, never opened, S-8 AutoSet IIs that he had priced really reasonably. After thinking it over for a few days, I decided to go that route and try to find someone that needs the tiny size of the Z-1 and will be happier with it than I ended up being. I mean it has probably less than 100 hours total blower time so it *is* minty fresh.

I think that will take me from "Well, maybe it will work after all" to "Yeah, I got no concerns" when packing for a trip. If I only put a few hundred hours a year on the S-8 AutoSet II, that will last me the rest of my life.

OMM

Post Reply Post Reply
OMM, glad you found something that you like. I'm sure you'll sell the Z1m I just saw an almost new one sell for $375 I think.

Certainly the Z1 and Transend are not for everyone and at one time I thought that if I could travel comfortably with my System One I would but that feeling only lasted a few months and then the advantages of the Z1 and now Z1 Auto and the noise reduction make it basically my every day machine. Reliability hasn't been an issue and I dont consider it fragile.....getting tossed around weekly in my backpack while traveling through airports and on planes.

Good luch with the S-8
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had the Z1 since Feb 2014. This is my third send back to Supplier #1 due to malfunctioning. The first machine did not accept a charge, the female rubber opening got jammed inside on the second, and the third machine just stopped working in the middle of the night. Are these problems occurring with other users?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-20-2015, 04:16 PM)carriesue66 Wrote: I've had the Z1 since Feb 2014. This is my third send back to Supplier #1 due to malfunctioning. The first machine did not accept a charge, the female rubber opening got jammed inside on the second, and the third machine just stopped working in the middle of the night. Are these problems occurring with other users?

I went through five batteries before I found two that worked. Northwest Medical, Medford, OR took care of me.

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.