Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The HDM Z1
RE: The HDM Z1
How can I change the pressure/CPAP/APAP settings on my Z1 Auto? They are locked and I need the secret handshake for clinicians.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Lancer,
Welcome to the forum!

Go to the link at the top of the page labeled. "CPAP Setup Manuals", and scroll down to section 3. I believe your machine is listed there. If you scroll down further it will provide you with instructions as to how to obtain the manual for your machine.

I hope this helps.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dear Forum Members
There were some fairly disappointing reviews of the Z1 Auto back in 2013 and 2014. Has anyone got some more recent experience and whether the initial feedback on noise and exhalation problems have been resolved?
Post Reply Post Reply
They put out a muffler that requires regular replacement of components - maintenance includes periodically replacing foam guts. In addition to 5" long muffler, also requires the use of an 8"stub hose between the unit and the muffler. More crap to haul around while adding a little more than a foot to the length of the hose.

I personally find that the more stuff required outside the actual unit, the less convenient it is for packing and travel. Small unit, yes, but then you have to carry power brick, and then the muffler. And the stub hose. And of course the normal hose and mask. Oh, and the custom tube adapter because you can't plug a hose directly into the Z-1. And an extension cord because hotel rooms are not always equipped with plugs in the right places. And possibly a plug multiplier because hotels may not have enough plugs in any case. Defeats the purpose of the micro small unit.

I have a Z-1; wish I had the money back that I blew on it. (Got it used (guy tried to use it on a week long cruise); paid half of what it was new; still not a bargain). Used it for a week to prove it would work, just mucho noisy (before the disposable muffler came out, never bothered getting one later on as I had pretty much given up on using the machine). It has been sitting unused in a nice little travel bag for well over a year now. won't likely use it again. I ended up with a NIB S-8 Autoset II, which while bigger, is an all in one unit (no external power brick to pack along) that is pretty portable without the humidifier. I don't use humidifiers on the road. Everything - mask, hose, 12' cord purchased separately (no having to take extension cords along), tiny power socket multipler/usb charger, and even my pill sorter box for a week's travel all go into a small camera bag for carry-on purposes. Yes, it is probably twice as big as the Z-1, but it is a far more capable, and likely more reliable machine - I've talked to technicians that have serviced/disassembled the Z-1 along with the resmed and respironics and devillbiss machines and they said there is no way to compare the more solid build quality of a traditional CPAP to the Z-1. I have high confidence in the S-8: used my first S-8 nightly for 6 years with zero problems.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Peter J,

I've been using the Z1-Auto since it came out and the Z1 before that. I use it 4 nights a week almost every week because I travel Mon-Friday via airline 40-45 weeks a year.

OMMOHY and I have talked about this before and we have had totally different experiences...and I mean totally different. I find my Z1 Auto as comfortable on the APAP-2 Zbreathe setting as my PRS1. Since getting the Q-Tube muffler I also find it just as quiet. I was never bothered by the noise, and it was noisy prior to the Q-Tube but the Q-Tube does make it more comfortable.

I tried taking my PRS1 on travel with me as my third bag and hated it enough to stop using it for a while. My 13 oz Z1-Auto is insignificant and the only "extra" thing you have to bring is the Q-Tube if you decide to use that and it is insignificant in weight and size.

The Z1 and Transcend lines take some time to get used to because of their small size which results in a design which uses a small, high speed blower. The air from these machines "feels" different and because of the velocity the machines are noiser. You really need to try them for a length of time to see if you like them. In my case I really do not feel any difference between my two machines with the exception of the PRS1's heated humidifier.

Everyone is different in both expectations and tolerances so the best way to determine if you can use the Z1-Auto is to try it as right now they are running a 30 day return program. http://hdmusa.com/return-policy/ . Buy everything you need up front so that you can return it all if you don't like it.

I've got years of experience with the Z1 line so feel free to ask me anything.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
Just one more comment on reliability. Last year alone, which was a somewhat lighter travel year for me, I got on airplanes about 130 times. My Z1 Auto is in my backpack which gets knocked around, dropped, squished, and the Z1 itself gets knocked off the nightstand or bed onto the floor etc all the time and the Z1 had not missed a beat. Admittedly I have not taken it out of the bag and dropped from a step ladder onto concrete but it has taken quite a bit of abuse.

I feel very good about its reliability and survivability.

Again, I realize that the small travel CPAPs aren't for everyone which is why I think that the HDM 30 day return policy is great. if you get one use it every night for at least a week before you decide.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all your thoughts and insights. Yes, it is a real pain having to have a backpack with my S9 in on an aircraft; it is really inconvenient and very bulky. Can anyone at HDM tell me when they will get TGA approval here in Australia? I'd certainly be interested in a 30 day trial. I have checked with a couple of suppliers here in Australia and there are no small travel CPAP available yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2016, 05:37 PM)Peter J Wrote: Thanks for all your thoughts and insights. Yes, it is a real pain having to have a backpack with my S9 in on an aircraft; it is really inconvenient and very bulky. Can anyone at HDM tell me when they will get TGA approval here in Australia? I'd certainly be interested in a 30 day trial. I have checked with a couple of suppliers here in Australia and there are no small travel CPAP available yet.
Peter,

I just received this back from HDM, Yes, they have TGA approval and you can purchase in Australia from a company called RemSleep or Super Cheap Cpap (I'll PM you the link)

I'm not affiliated with HDM, just passing on the info you requested.

Bill

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----

Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:I am curious if anyone has tried using a inline bacterial viral filter to reduce the noise with the Z1? I have a Transcend EZEX CPAP and it is also is noisy at the mask end. The inline viral filter cuts that noise down more than half. I also made a little muffler for the Transcend and it is as quiet as my PRS1 now.

Can a Transcend waterless humidification system be attached to a standard hose so that it can be used with a different brand CPAP?

Thanks for any help.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2016, 03:24 PM)slowpoke Wrote: Can a Transcend waterless humidification system be attached to a standard hose so that it can be used with a different brand CPAP?

Thanks for any help.
Slowpoke, you're confusing me a bit with what you are trying to accomplish.

I just watched the video for the Transcend waterless humidification kit. The Transend hose is a standard hose and therefore the mask and the humidification kit can be connected to any cpap. Transcend uses a hose adapter (so does Z1) to reduce the standard hose to fit the smaller machine.

In my opinion any efficiency gained by the Transcend design resulting in a slight increase in comfort (not convinced that there is any difference really) would be offset that you would be using a different mask than you're bedside unit...unless your desire was to switch to the Transcend mask 100% of the time.

What are you looking to accomplish?

Bill

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.