Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The HDM Z1
RE: The HDM Z1
(11-21-2013, 09:42 PM)Regular Joe Wrote: I just saw it at an online retailer (vendor #3). Looks interesting. Anyone know anything about it?

I've had mine for two weeks so far and I'm still having trouble getting used to the pressure against exhalation. I'm only on 9 cmH20 and compared to my PR REMstar Pro it is a very uncomfortable feeling.

Pros (so far): Size...you can't beat it. I bought mine with the battery pack for travel since I'm away from home for work as much as half the year. It fits inside my normal suitcase with hose, HME, and mask; so I'm not lugging around another small bag. It's solidly built, with easy controls. The battery has outlasted my normal sleep pattern every night I have used it and I can charge it up anytime during the day and avoid having to hunt around for an electrical outlet in my hotel room at night.

Cons (so far): The pressure on inhalation and exhalation is VERY different than my "home" machine. Trying to inhale feels like there is some resistance, but exhalation is really difficult. The ramp feature also causes the mask valve to slam shut on each breath so it's noisy. Once it's up to full pressure the valve moves quietly again.

I've noticed more leaks with my mask between machines...almost like the Z1 is putting out too much pressure (or my REMstar is putting out too little). Also, it's noisier than I thought it would be. The noise isn't anything I can't get used to, but I really thought it would be quieter. The lack of humidity is a concern. The HME is not very effective and waking up with chapped lips and the leather tongue is the norm. It hasn't bothered my nose at all since I'm a mouth breather when I sleep.

Will update as I use it more. Hopefully I can get used to its quirks. Transitioning from the Z1 to my REMstar is breeze. Transitioning back to the Z1 after I have been home for a few days on the REMstar is significantly more difficult.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm sorry to add I'm experiencing the same discomfort with the lack of a real exhalation pressure relief system. I really wanted to like this machine for travel, but try as I have, I can't get used to the IMO very difficult exhale pressure. That, and the lack of humidification makes it difficult to use this unit. I find the HME useless (for me at least). I bought a F&P passover humidifier, which works well enough, but I guess I'm too sensitive to handle the exhalation pressure. I'm also disappointed to say, that I sent an email to Mr. Moore from HDM, telling him about my experience, and have not gotten any acknowledgement. It's too bad.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Some amazing things are coming soon. Revolutionary things. Seriously.

I hope one of those amazing things is an integrated humidifier that's more effective and economical than those pads. The FP HC-150 is the humidifier I had with my first CPAP unit almost 20 years ago and defeats the purpose of this small, travel unit for those that need heated humidification. It is a giant; 1 hose connects bottle to CPAP and 1 hose connects to mask. All in all, I'd probably be better sizewise and definitely conveniencewise with a traditional integrated CPAP/humidifier as it now stands.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dicky109,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2014, 11:22 PM)mchad Wrote: I'm sorry to add I'm experiencing the same discomfort with the lack of a real exhalation pressure relief system. I really wanted to like this machine for travel, but try as I have, I can't get used to the IMO very difficult exhale pressure. That, and the lack of humidification makes it difficult to use this unit. I find the HME useless (for me at least). I bought a F&P passover humidifier, which works well enough, but I guess I'm too sensitive to handle the exhalation pressure. I'm also disappointed to say, that I sent an email to Mr. Moore from HDM, telling him about my experience, and have not gotten any acknowledgement. It's too bad.

Slight update. Never heard from HDM. Called them today to see if there was anything they could suggest re: the poor z-breathe functionality, and the seemingly uninterested rep plainly stated that since I bought it from vendor 1 and not direct from HDM, I needed to speak to them... Perhaps that's the way medical device support works, but to me, it's kind of like Sony tech support telling me to call Amazon about a problem with one of their DVD players...

At any rate, it's going back to vendor 1 for an eval. Hopefully they will find something wrong, as it's unusable for me currently. But after hearing others comments, I'm not too confident. It may end up on ebay when I get it back.
Post Reply Post Reply
We now have the Clinician Setup Guide for the Z1 CPAP.

Click here for more info:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...3#pid57893
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
The HDM Z1
Curious if anyone has had access to the software yet with their Z1? Will be traveling for the first time for 10 days with my HDM Z1, and I would like to be able to track my sleep, especially comparing it to my large bulky Phillips Respironics REMstar Pro C-Flex + Auto IQ. Looking forward to traveling with it, and would ideally like to use it as my primary unit, but really need to see my stats. Mac user (I'm not going to say unfortunately) so I know it will be delayed, compared to the PC software.

Thanks for your support.
Jason
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi lloydjason,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck with your new HDM Z1.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-03-2014, 07:54 PM)lloydjason Wrote: Curious if anyone has had access to the software yet with their Z1?

Jason

Hi Jason, according to Stephen Moore from HDM, they're still working on the software. He reported that only about 2 weeks ago, so it's likely to be some time yet before they complete beta testing and distribution of the software.

Hoping that once they begin distribution, someone will notify us. I assume Steve or someone else from HDM will do that, as they seem to be monitoring this thread.

Smile
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I just purchased the Z1 and find it to be noisier than I expected. Does anyone have any suggestions for making it more quiet?
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.