Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The HDM Z1
RE: The HDM Z1
Hi marcoferro,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I don't have a solution for your problem, but I'm sure someone will be able to help you.
Best of luck with your HDM Z1.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I would be very interested to hear how many hours of treatment people are getting from a single battery on the Z1. So far, I am averaging about 3-1/2 hours of treatment at 20 cm pressure from a fully charged battery. At 20 cm I knew I would not get a lot of hours but was hoping for more. If several people at different pressures would contribute this information, it would be helpful. If you would, please respond with treatment pressure and number of hours. If enough data comes in to be meaningful, I'll be happy to plot it up and post the result.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2014, 06:24 PM)kthornsberry Wrote: I would be very interested to hear how many hours of treatment people are getting from a single battery on the Z1. So far, I am averaging about 3-1/2 hours of treatment at 20 cm pressure from a fully charged battery. At 20 cm I knew I would not get a lot of hours but was hoping for more. If several people at different pressures would contribute this information, it would be helpful. If you would, please respond with treatment pressure and number of hours. If enough data comes in to be meaningful, I'll be happy to plot it up and post the result.

Thanks.

A fully charged battery will last me about 5.5 hours at 9 cmH2O. Still having a hard time getting over the inspiratory resistance/expiratory pressure. I don't sleep nearly as well on the Z1 as I do on my REMstar Pro. I even tried a new FFM just to see if there was any difference. Also, any idea when HDM software will be available?
Post Reply Post Reply
I purchased the Z1 in late December. Like others, I've had issues with noise and exhaling. Last night, the unit failed completely. I contacted the support via chat on the HDM Support website. The 'chat' rep told they provide support only if the machine is purchased from Supplier 14 and advised me to contact the dealer I purchased the machine from for service or warranty issues. So I'm shipping back to Supplier 1.

As mchad said in his post " it's kind of like Sony tech support telling me to call Amazon about a problem with one of their DVD players... "

I'm really disappointed with the level of customer support provided HDM. I really wanted to like this machine....

Here is an excerpt from the chat:
Julie: If the product was purchased from the HDM website or Supplier 14, we would be able to assist you with warranty/machine issues.
Me: Please answer my question concerning the support phone number - "Contact Support by Phone" on the HDM support web page does NOT provide support for HDM products not sold by Supplier 14"
Julie: Concerning issues with a malfunctioning machine, no we do not. That is the responsibility of the company the machine was purchased from.

Post Reply Post Reply
I really appreciate all the feedback. I really want to buy this instrument in the next 30 days. I don't know now. I thought it might be the answer to my hunting and camping trips. I guess if I don't like it, I could put it on ebay or craigslist.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2014, 11:26 PM)Regular Joe Wrote: I really appreciate all the feedback. I really want to buy this instrument in the next 30 days. I don't know now. I thought it might be the answer to my hunting and camping trips. I guess if I don't like it, I could put it on ebay or craigslist.

Once I got used to the machine (specifically the noise level) it worked. As I said before, I really want to like this machine. It's small, easy to travel with, and could be the ideal solution for portability.

But for now, I'm a little concerned about reliability - mine failed after approximately 4 weeks of nightly use.

And I'm seriously concerned about their customer service and warranty support.
Post Reply Post Reply
Johnny, are you talking about customer support from HDM or #14?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2014, 01:06 AM)Regular Joe Wrote: Johnny, are you talking about customer support from HDM or #14?

According the the chat rep, HDM uses (outsources?) vendor 14 for their customer support. I used the HDM website chat feature and the chat rep stated she. and those who answered the customer support number listed on the HDM Support page are contracted by HDM to provide customer support, but only if the item is purchased from vendor 14 or directly from the HDM website. Here is a partial transcript of the conversation;

Julie: Ok, do you know what company you purchased the Z1 from?
Me: "vendor 1"
Julie: Ok, I would suggest calling them directly and explaining the issue you were having. They will be able to assist you
Me: So you don't provide support?
Julie: We are another dealer for the Z1 in NJ
You need to contact the company that the machine was purchased from
Me: I thought your company was the manufacturer.
Julie: No I'm sorry, we are the call center for the manufacturer.
Me: How do I contact the manufacturer
Julie: There is no way to contact them directly, again, you have to contact the company you purchased the machine from.
Me: Your folks sent me this in an email "If you experience problems with your unit, a great first step is to consult the Frequently Asked Questions section on the HDM website. If you find no resolution there, please give us a call toll-free at 1-855-HDMUSA9"
Julie: I'm sorry but again, we are not the manufacturer, we can not take the machine back. The responsibility for your machine is with the company you purchased it from, vendor 1.
Me: So you don't provide warranty support?
Julie: If you purchased the machine from our company, "vendor 14", we would be able to help you. But since you purchased the machine from "vendor 1", they would be the company you contact for warranty support
Me: the website I'm on right now, chatting with you is "hdmusa.com/support/"
Julie: Correct, the manufacturer selected our company to take their calls. However, again, we are not the manufacturer, so we can not take the machine back unless you bought it from our company. You need to contact "vendor 1"
Me: So if I had bought the machine from you, you would address the issue?
Julie: Correct
Me: And you're the designated HDM rep for their support website?
Julie: Yes
Me: But you don't provide support for HDM products?
Julie: We assist with purchasing and product information, but if there is an issue with a machine that was purchased, the customer needs to contact the company that the machine was purchased from.
Me: If I call the "Support by Phone" number on this webpage 855-HDMUSA9, am I going to get the same level of support?
Julie: The HDM phone number also goes to our company. Again, you need to contact "vendor 1" at 1-800-xxx-xxxx, for warranty support if the product was purchased through their company

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi johnnyashe, welcome to Apnea Board!

Customer support contact info is often different that warranty contact info in many companies. Calling customer support isn't going to help with warranty claims, other than them directing you to the proper contact for warranty claims.

Many manufacturers handle warranty claims through their dealers, not directly to customers. You have to follow their directions to process a warranty claim. Most all CPAP warranty claims are processed through the Durable Medical Equipment suppliers (DMEs) that sell the products to the end-user... that's pretty much the industry standard.

Did you contact the DME you purchased the machine from? If so, how did it go?

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2014, 08:46 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Hi johnnyashe, welcome to Apnea Board!

Customer support contact info is often different that warranty contact info in many companies. Calling customer support isn't going to help with warranty claims, other than them directing you to the proper contact for warranty claims.

Many manufacturers handle warranty claims through their dealers, not directly to customers. You have to follow their directions to process a warranty claim. Most all CPAP warranty claims are processed through the Durable Medical Equipment suppliers (DMEs) that sell the products to the end-user... that's pretty much the industry standard.

Did you contact the DME you purchased the machine from? If so, how did it go?

When I contacted customer support, I was hoping to possibly get instructions on resetting the machine or a 'walk-through' of some sort to keep from having to send the machine back. Since I didn't purchase the machine from them, they basically wouldn't talk to me - other than to say call someone else. Others have experienced this as well. See mchad's posts in this thread.

This statement from HDM CS disturbs me;
"The manufacturer addressed this issue with their dealers and explained that the responsibility of any damaged or malfunctioning machines fall onto the company that the machine was purchased from".

As well as this;
Me: A hypothetical - if the dealer were to go out of business, does that mean there is no warranty?
Julie: I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to that

HDM touts their 3 year warranty as a selling point (which was a factor in my decision to purchase a Z1). Had I known they outsource their Customer & Warranty Support services, I would have reconsidered that decision.

To me, it's surprising that a manufacturer of such an important product leaves customer support and warranty issues to outside vendors.

I have contacted vendor 1 and they're working with me on arrangements to evaluate and repair the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.