Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The HDM Z1
RE: The HDM Z1
(03-31-2014, 01:42 PM)bill-e Wrote: I just used a F&P150 humidifier for a week.....made no difference. The noise is actually very loud by the intake filter.

I still maintain that when I wake up in the middle of the night the noise is less and the back pressure from ZBreathe is non existent.

bill-e, I agree the noise gets less after I have worn the device for a while.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have used resmed s8 for many years.
It has always good for me.
I travel about 30% of the year, hence
my interest in the HDM Z1.
Bought it, love it, very comfortable.
To my understanding, FP no longer makes
either a 220 volt or dual voltage stand
alone humidifier. I have the US model,
works fine, in fact much wider range of
temperature than I ever had with the
s8 one. But I needed dual voltage.
I bought two respironics H2's which
are dual voltage and work fine. But I
think they are stopping making those also.
But here's the thing: between humidifiers
I started just putting the Z1 under the
covers at my side. Keeping it there for
the night keeps my nose from drying out
like it usually does without humidification
so now I just travel with the Z1 only, no
humidification.
One more thing: my briefcase, carryon,
etc. are full enough even though this thing
is light and small, so I pack it in the
suitcase that goes under the plane but in
a camera lens case. I use an absolutely
indestructible case from Beta Shell that
you can jump up and down on and it absolutely
won't give an inch. I got one to fit only the
Z1, not the hose or cable. They have to
survive on their own in the suitcase.
Yes, for sure someday they will lose my siiycase
and I will be breathing (or not breathing)
heavy, but for now this is the best travel
setup I've ever had.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oldguy:

I would be very concerned about putting the Z1 under the covers as the intake is now delivering "stale" (recycled air) with lower oxygen content.... similar to sleeping with your head under the covers...

http://www.rebreathing.ca/

"Never, never sleep with your head under the covers!

This is extremely unhealthy. When you cover your head you are limiting your access to fresh air and in so doing you create a micro-environment (a small confined space) under the covers that will become depleted of oxygen due to the rebreathing of exhaled air (simply, as you keep breathing the same air over and over, the oxygen gets used up). This can lead to a condition called hypoxia, the deficiency of oxygen to body tissues, including brain cells resulting in brain damage. My research on this demonstrates that this behaviour has a significant impact on learning disabilities, Alzheimer's disease, and also has implications to Multiple Sclerosis.

It has always been assumed that covering the head with bedding was not dangerous because sufficient air would filter through the bedding to assure a safe environment. This is a big assumption that needs to be rethought. Heavy or thick bedding will certainly prevent fresh air infiltration. As well the duration under which an individual remains in this microenvironment will certain play on the quality of air that is consumed, and the possible consequences."
Post Reply Post Reply
Dear NCZzzz,
I perhaps was making a false
assumption that the machine is
not exhaling under the covers,
that the old air is being exhaled
at the mask which is not under
the covers.
Isn't the machine just drawing air
while the vents in the mask
are the exit point for
the carbon dioxide (exhaled air)?
While it probably isn't as free a draw
of air under the covers or even the
towel I have used on top of my s8
all these years, I seem to be getting
same amount of pressure and the Z1
does in no way heats up under the
covers.
What am I missing here?
oldguy
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:So a quiet Z1, with optional humidifier, and easy-breathe functionality, would be about ideal. I would use the HME when traveling and leave the humidifier home.

The Z1 does have an easy breathe feature, it is called ZBreathe, and has 3 settings that the user can easily change.

There are universal humidifiers available, heated or not. Supplier #14 offers a heated one for around 33% off if you purchase it with the Z1 in a package deal.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:So a quiet Z1, with optional humidifier, and easy-breathe functionality, would be about ideal.

The Z1 does have an easy breathe feature, it is called ZBreathe, and has 3 settings that the user can easily change.

As far as quiet, the 2 Z1's I briefly owned transmitted a loud, turbine-like whine to the mask. Mine was too loud to sleep with.

ZBreathe - hopefully the ZBreathe 3 setting works. Setting 1 was a disaster and setting 2 worked - sort of...

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2014, 11:59 AM)johnnyashe Wrote:
Quote:So a quiet Z1, with optional humidifier, and easy-breathe functionality, would be about ideal.

As far as quiet, the 2 Z1's I briefly owned transmitted a loud, turbine-like whine to the mask. Mine was too loud to sleep with.

ZBreathe - hopefully the ZBreathe 3 setting works. Setting 1 was a disaster and setting 2 worked - sort of...

I have been using the Z1 for a fairly long period of time while traveling, which for me is about 2 weeks every month. You are correct. The ZBreathe 3 setting is by far the best and virtually eliminates the abrupt valve open/valve closed sensation caused by the first two iterations.

The software only indicates compliance and leak data, but I'm hoping this is improved to show some clinical indications soon. My Pulmonologist seems impressed with the Z1's output and size. We checked the output pressure with a manometer and it's right on the money.

There are still a few cons, mostly related to noise (a high pitched turbine sound that others have mentioned) and humidity. All I can say about the noise is that you'll either get used to it or you won't. It took me a while to figure out how to fall asleep to the noise, and now I don't even hear it.

As far as the humidity, well there isn't any. The HME seems to be too far downstream to catch much of any exhaled humidity before the next inspiration. I wish they made a mask that incorporated the HME material inside the mask to gather humidity a little more effectively. I have installed a FP HC150 stand-alone humidifier that I take a long when I'll be in one place for longer periods of time, but lugging around another piece of equipment nullifies the travel benefits of a smaller machine. The FP unit works well with the Z1 and does muffle some of the noise.

Overall, I still think the Z1 provides value and convenience.

These have been my experiences. Your mileage may vary.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2013, 08:22 PM)stick Wrote: Some amazing things are coming soon. Revolutionary things. Seriously.

It's been nearly a year. What did you mean by "soon"?

(11-26-2013, 08:29 PM)stick Wrote: The Z1™ software ('HDM Data Viewer') will be for every user and will be included for free by download (the OSX version will be available soon after the initial release). We anticipate that the software will be available within the month at no charge to Z1™ owners.

FYI- We believe that access to sleep-data is really important and we want every user to be involved in their therapy:-)

I believe it's important, too, which is why I'm not buying a machine for which I can't examine data on my Mac.

(01-14-2014, 08:12 AM)stephenmoore1 Wrote: Shortly after that will be a MAC version of the same software.

Your version of "shortly" and mine seem to be pretty different, since there doesn't appear to be an OS X version after all this time.

So, I literally had the online order form filled out for one of these, thinking it would be great for my frequent travel from New Hampshire to Mexico since the only thing keeping me from being able just to take off with a messenger bag is my CPAP. Before clicking the button I decided to check out reviews here.

Sure, I hear it's noisy. That's a risk I'm willing to take. I hate expiratory relief, so I wish it could be turned off completely, but the fact that people think it's poor expiratory relief is actually a relief to me. I am bothered by some reports of failures, but I figure that's what the warranty is for.

What does bother me is the claims of things "coming soon" then never being heard of again, most particularly OS X data viewing software. It makes me concerned that the company either doesn't take obligations seriously or doesn't have the resources to fulfill them.

There is simply no way I'm going to buy a machine for which I can't view data on my Mac. Unless the vendor gives me a Windows license, I'm not going to buy and install Windows just to run one program. I'll consider it if Sleepyhead or some other 3rd-party software supports it, too. Otherwise, I'll wait for other companies to come out with true travel-sized machines and get one of them.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all,

Just got a HDM Z1 today; I tried syncing it with my PC but the HDM Data Viewer app doesn't seem to work? If "sync" the unit, sometimes it will report "Not Connected" other times it will return gibberish data in the "Settings" screen (where it lists out the device information, firmware, etc.).

I tried it with THREE different computers, same results.

Is this a problem with my unit or the software?

Post Reply Post Reply
coolspot, is this a new unit? My Z1 syncs right off. Are you using the cable that came with it? Can you try a different cable?

The Data Viewer for the Z1 is pretty basic and really only useful for updating the firmware as if I recall it only displays Leaks and Usage.

The new Z1 Auto has a much more useful app called Nitelog which connects via bluetooth to the Z1 Auto and displays AHI, AH Count, Usage and Pressure but unfortunately doesn't work with the original Z1.

coolspot, do you have the latest HDM Viewer? 1_07
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.