Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The HDM Z1
RE: The HDM Z1
(12-31-2014, 06:53 PM)bill-e Wrote: With regard to the noise, my experience is that after a few nights I got used to it, kinda like white noise, and didn't hear it anymore.....but I use the Z1 alone when I travel, I'm sure it would annoy a sleep partner, at least at first.

I tried the Z1 a year ago. The first unit was ok and I got used to the noise. Unfortunately, that unit failed. The second unit was a disaster. LOUD and the Z-Breathe was erratic (both settings). I'm hoping the HDM folks get it together. Their idea is excellent, just hoping they deliver.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2014, 05:50 PM)bill-e Wrote: Do you have another cable to try?

Tried three other cables, and three computers - at this point pretty sure it's the unit.

I took a nap (1 hour) with the unit - no data was logged.

Probably something corrupted with its flash memory.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2014, 07:23 PM)johnnyashe Wrote:
(12-31-2014, 06:53 PM)bill-e Wrote: With regard to the noise, my experience is that after a few nights I got used to it, kinda like white noise, and didn't hear it anymore.....but I use the Z1 alone when I travel, I'm sure it would annoy a sleep partner, at least at first.

I tried the Z1 a year ago. The first unit was ok and I got used to the noise. Unfortunately, that unit failed. The second unit was a disaster. LOUD and the Z-Breathe was erratic (both settings). I'm hoping the HDM folks get it together. Their idea is excellent, just hoping they deliver.
I use Z-Breathe-3. It works the same on the Z1 and Z1A. What I find annoying about it is that every time you use the machine it has to "learn" you again. That can take a couple of breaths up to a few minutes. Once it has adjusted it works just about as well as my PR Sys One's apap-2...it just annoys me at the start every time.

(12-31-2014, 08:32 PM)coolspot Wrote:
(12-31-2014, 05:50 PM)bill-e Wrote: Do you have another cable to try?

Tried three other cables, and three computers - at this point pretty sure it's the unit.

I took a nap (1 hour) with the unit - no data was logged.

Probably something corrupted with its flash memory.
Was this happening before you flashed as well? You might want to re-flash and see what happens.

Post Reply Post Reply
Was this happening before you flashed as well? You might want to re-flash and see what happens.
[/quote]

Yeah, that's why I flashed it in the first place; I thought it was a firmware issue!

The flashing process goes off without a hitch - it detects, writes, and reboots the unit as expected.
Post Reply Post Reply
That sucks, sorry.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2014, 07:23 PM)bill-e Wrote: The HME's (heat moisture exchanger) are 6 bucks and I can get up to 14 days from them. I tried lugging along a stand alone humidifier and while it is more comfortable, it was like carrying my home unit with me so it defeated the main advantaget of the Z1.

I cannot sleep without humidification and the HME's work fine for me.

I found a Canadian website where the HMEs were about $3 ... but they could not ship to USA ....

I tried one on my last trip do agree that they work "OK" ... the humidifier bulk is too much for me as well.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-01-2015, 12:28 PM)NCZzzz Wrote:
(12-31-2014, 07:23 PM)bill-e Wrote: The HME's (heat moisture exchanger) are 6 bucks and I can get up to 14 days from them. I tried lugging along a stand alone humidifier and while it is more comfortable, it was like carrying my home unit with me so it defeated the main advantaget of the Z1.

I cannot sleep without humidification and the HME's work fine for me.

I found a Canadian website where the HMEs were about $3 ... but they could not ship to USA ....

I tried one on my last trip do agree that they work "OK" ... the humidifier bulk is too much for me as well.
If you travel a lot the cost is in the noise. I'm willing to spend $3/week for the convenience.

Post Reply Post Reply
Understood, and I agree!
I travel a lot by motorcycle; both space and weight are at a premium.
I figured if you traveled to Canada you might be able to stock up at 50% off US prices Cool

Post Reply Post Reply
Yea, $3 would be nice, I actually mentioned the cost difference to HDM at one point months ago when the $3 Canadian price first was reported here.

I actually get reimbursed for them but I understand how some might think they were too expensive but I think that the target audience for the Z1 is mainly after portability and therefore the nits associated with its use are taken in stride because it is just so damn portable Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-01-2015, 08:30 PM)bill-e Wrote: Yea, $3 would be nice, I actually mentioned the cost difference to HDM at one point months ago when the $3 Canadian price first was reported here.

I actually get reimbursed for them but I understand how some might think they were too expensive but I think that the target audience for the Z1 is mainly after portability and therefore the nits associated with its use are taken in stride because it is just so damn portable Wink

if it is not as comfy as my s9, no way! i won't travel with anything less at the expense of my precious sleep. the s9 aint that heavy. the Z1 is too spendy for me to try based on what I have heard from those who support it, much less the negative reviewers who have hated on it in spades Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.