Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The Hidden Reason You Might Be Tired All The Time
The Hidden Reason You Might Be Tired All The Time
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/13...70032.html
For free Medicare assistance for your state check out this page. http://www.seniorsresourceguide.com/dire...onal/SHIP/
or here http://www.medicareinteractive.org/
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: The Hidden Reason You Might Be Tired All The Time
For the past two or so years I had been extremely exhausted/sleepy in the mornings and after lunch. When I would take my lunch break, I would grab a fast and small meal, then sit down with the intent to work on personal projects until back to the job. I could only sit for a few minutes and I would fall into a deep sleep until having to go back to work. I would wake up instinctively, most of the time. My brother whom was a "fall asleep at the wheel" guy about 12 or so years ago at which time I convinced him to have a sleep study done, he did, been cpap'ing ever since with great improvements in bp and daytime sleepiness. He finally convinced me to have the sleep study done and what a surprise! Hence the recent initiation of cpap therapy. First morning was great! Since I started on the evening of 02/05/2015 I somehow pulled my mask off for about two hours and could feel a major negative difference the next day!

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2015, 01:26 AM)Mike1953 Wrote: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/13...70032.html

Umm I presume that's why we are all here, so in fact it is not hidden.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-23-2015, 07:44 AM)lab rat Wrote:
(02-14-2015, 01:26 AM)Mike1953 Wrote: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/13...70032.html

It frequently goes undiagnosed for many years and the really bad health issues it can cause are not particularly well publicized. In that sense, I think "hidden" is an appropriate description. If I'd known that sleep apnea was a well-known root cause for afib, I would have done a sleep study many years ago. My father had a bunch of what were likely afib-induced mini-strokes that produced Alzheimer's symptoms. He had untreated obstructive sleep apnea and I inherited it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2015, 10:53 PM)GeoffD Wrote:
(02-23-2015, 07:44 AM)lab rat Wrote:

It frequently goes undiagnosed for many years and the really bad health issues it can cause are not particularly well publicized. In that sense, I think "hidden" is an appropriate description. If I'd known that sleep apnea was a well-known root cause for afib, I would have done a sleep study many years ago. My father had a bunch of what were likely afib-induced mini-strokes that produced Alzheimer's symptoms. He had untreated obstructive sleep apnea and I inherited it.

Look, if we were still in 1995 when I had symptoms I would agree. But here we are 20 years later, and the amount of information and publicity, not to mention word-of-mouth advice about sleep apnea and other sleeping disorders is so much greater now, I don't see how people in this day and age are either unaware, or don't even bother to see a doctor or ask around just what the heck is wrong with them.

Snoring, nodding off, feeling so lethargic you dont even want to exercise etc etc...

Post Reply Post Reply
But that isn't the whole issue either.

The primary reason I went so long without being diagnosed is because I had no symptoms that were visible to me. A smart ENT asked me a few questions while I was there for an ear infection, had me fill out a questionnaire based on that, and recommended a home test, the rest being history.

I was not lethargic or nodding off noticeably before xPAP, and I don't really feel better after (because I didn't feel bad in the first place). But there is no bigger evangelist than me regarding how helpful this therapy can be to sufferers (even if they don't realize that they are suffering), because "feeling better" is just one star in the galaxy of benefits available here.

And more info isn't really a reason to know more in a world where we have more info, too much info, on everything, all the time. Info without some sort of motivation is pretty useless, because action works while info doesn't.

Hidden is a relative term. Not hidden to us, but hidden to the other 17 million who just don't know yet. An article targeted to the masses can call the issue hidden very appropriately, IMHO.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2015, 07:11 AM)lab rat Wrote: Snoring, nodding off, feeling so lethargic you dont even want to exercise etc etc...

I've talked to several people who think falling asleep throughout the day or w/e is perfectly normal behavior. I can see the "hidden" thing -- I'd like to see a study on how many people have sleep apnea vs. how many are aware of it vs. how many are treated for it, if such a thing exists.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 5 223 3 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Still tired and CA events liebano 1 39 6 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 1 66 Yesterday, 01:25 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 180 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 215 03-27-2024, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,453 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,977 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.