Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The Hybrid mask and removing the nasal pillows with head cold
RE: The Hybrid mask and removing the nasal pillows with head cold
Paula, it really won't require a (permanent) modification of the mask.

The pillows of the hybrid are made to pop out -- to allow switching the sizes.

Merely taping over the ports where the pillows are inserted would be very easy to accomplish (from the inside).

Using the mask with an ALMOST stopped up nose was very tricky for me -- my nose wouldn't allow enough air but allowed just enough to make it seem possible and keep me from breathing easily through my mouth.

It woke me many times during the night to allow consciously switching my breathing from mouth to nose and the whistling through my nose was so loud that alone was keeping me awake.

I tried quite a few things (quick ideas, not getting up and fixing the mask as described) trying to BLOCK my nose FULLY to just allow (or even force) breathing through the mouth alone.

There was a similar effect (but worse) with the F & P Oracle Oral mask. This was worse because the Oracle doesn't cover or block the nose so being able to breath through the nose "a little" was very difficult to deal with.

(And the stupid nose plugs included with the Oracle were entirely insufficient and unworkable for me -- also reported by a lot of other people.)

I strongly suspect the Hybrid with the pillow ports closed will make a MUCH better "oral only" mask than the Oracle does, and it will always have the flexibility to put the nasal pillows back on and use it that way, as a Pillow/Oral mask.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Modification of a mask in that manner is not advised. For one, the fit will change. For two, the air flow will change. For three, there's the smell of tape all night. I'm sure there's more points but that's all I'm listing.

The Oracle is designed as a mouth only mask. This other mask was not. That's a big difference.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
On the Innomed Hybrid there would be no change in fit. The pillows aren't integral to how the mask fits.

As to the smell of tape, that is about finding the correct tape and remember that with the nasal pillows blanked off, and presumably a stopped up nose, there isn't likely to be much in the way of smell available.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Head position optimization apneavolt 11 284 2 hours ago
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 9 975 04-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 24 11,065 04-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: cant exhale
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,348 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 158 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,224 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,354 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.