Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The Hybrid mask and removing the nasal pillows with head cold
The Hybrid mask and removing the nasal pillows with head cold
I have the Hybrid mask which has the customizable,nasal pillows. I have a really bad head cold right now and my sinuses are totally clogged.
I was thinking that I might try to remove the nasal pillow and secure the holes with tape so no air comes into my already clogged nose. Then all the air would go into my mouth.

Has anyone tried that ?

I am worried that if I use it as is, the air coming into my nasal passages will pack my nose stuff in further and make my current headache even worse.

On the other hand, the warm heated air may unclog my nose enough to breathe.

Any experiences ? Ideas?

I am new to all of this and this is my first "bad cld" using my machine.
Thank you
Kim
Kimberly from HonoluluSleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: The Hybrid mask and removing the nasal pillows with head cold
I use the P10 nasal pillows only and when I had my cold and was congested I found after about 10 minutes the pillows cleared my sinuses. That is my personal experience, as they say YMMV.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2014, 11:00 PM)Galactus Wrote: I use the P10 nasal pillows only and when I had my cold and was congested I found after about 10 minutes the pillows cleared my sinuses. That is my personal experience, as they say YMMV.
Dear Galactus:
Thank you.
Actually I have that same P10 nasal pillows mask and last night they did indeed open up my nose. It took about 3-5 minutes as you say.
I am more stuffed today but of course I'll try the P10 (my favorite mask) first.
If it doesn't work I may need to use the Hybrid.
Thank you
Kim
Post Reply Post Reply
Anytime, happy to help. That's been my experience. Also if you take a Zertac it might help with the congestion to. I have used them now and again and they help. All the best.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2014, 11:19 PM)Galactus Wrote: Anytime, happy to help. That's been my experience. Also if you take a Zertac it might help with the congestion to. I have used them now and again and they help. All the best.
I don't know what Zertac is. Is it a pill or nose spray?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2014, 11:27 PM)kfujioka Wrote:
(10-04-2014, 11:19 PM)Galactus Wrote: Anytime, happy to help. That's been my experience. Also if you take a Zertac it might help with the congestion to. I have used them now and again and they help. All the best.

here you go; Also known as Cetrizine

[Image: freebies2deals-zyrtec-70-bottle.jpg]

[Image: C1060256wtmk.jpg]

Post Reply Post Reply
I have a Innomed Hybrid as well -- bought to provide an stand-by in case my nose is ever clogged enough that the P10 won't work

Although this has never actually happened, I tested the Hybrid a few nights and found it very difficult to use with a NEARLY stopped up nose. I couldn't breath through it and I couldn't not breath through it.

So it was my intention to blank off the nasal pillow ports if ever the mask was needed and this occurred.

While I haven't tried it, it seemed perfectly clear that it would work -- at least mechanically from the perspective of the mask.

I don't know if it would work for my to actually use but the mask should work.

I also have a F & P Oral mask which would offers a similar capability but the Hybrid with nasal ports blanked off will likely BE BETTER due to the better headgear and there being no need to put any of it inside my mouth.

Try it -- worse case you find it just doesn't work.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2014, 11:34 PM)Galactus Wrote:
(10-04-2014, 11:27 PM)kfujioka Wrote:

here you go; Also known as Cetrizine

[Image: freebies2deals-zyrtec-70-bottle.jpg]

[Image: C1060256wtmk.jpg]
Oh!
I've seen that at Long's Drug.
Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2014, 11:52 PM)herbm Wrote: I have a Innomed Hybrid as well -- bought to provide an stand-by in case my nose is ever clogged enough that the P10 won't work

Although this has never actually happened, I tested the Hybrid a few nights and found it very difficult to use with a NEARLY stopped up nose. I couldn't breath through it and I couldn't not breath through it.

So it was my intention to blank off the nasal pillow ports if ever the mask was needed and this occurred.

While I haven't tried it, it seemed perfectly clear that it would work -- at least mechanically from the perspective of the mask.

I don't know if it would work for my to actually use but the mask should work.

I also have a F & P Oral mask which would offers a similar capability but the Hybrid with nasal ports blanked off will likely BE BETTER due to the better headgear and there being no need to put any of it inside my mouth.

Try it -- worse case you find it just doesn't work.
Thanks
I'll set it up tonight just in case I need it.
Hopefully the Airfit P10 will blow away all the nose stuff.
I just used my saline rinse and it made it through my nose and out the other side which is good news.
Thank you
:grin:
Post Reply Post Reply
The humidification will do your sinuses some good so try to continue to use the pillows.

I would not modify the mask.

Have you tried any nasal rinses? When it is allergy season and I am so very clogged, I find a nasal rinse prior to bed, decent humidification at night, and another rinse in the morning, and I get good results. I also got a small humidifier for here at my desk for when I have a winter cold. The continued humid air seems to help, even if it is cold humid air.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,776 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,219 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 100 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 326 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,228 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 394 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.