Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed AirFit F10
Humidifier: H5i heated humidifer
CPAP Pressure: 5 exhale/9 inhale
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Thumbsup The Joy of Naps
Today I didn't sleep very much this morning for whatever reason. Kind of powered through the morning with some coffee and really felt just terrible after lunch. So I did something I wasn't able to do before I got my CPAP -- laid down and took a nap. Back when I was untreated laying down to sleep in the day would invariably result in a pounding headache and feeling even worse than I did before. My case wasn't as bad as some of y'alls to where I was falling asleep in the daytime, so I opted to never take a nap, ever. I slept for 20-30 minutes maybe and I've felt great all afternoon. I need to remember that I have this option now.

Anyone else had this happen since starting CPAP?
01-18-2015 07:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
eviltim Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP

Other Comments:

RE: The Joy of Naps
Wow, double post AND I used the thumbs down instead of thumbs up icon. Sorry guys, I dropped the ball on that one, maybe I'm not as well rested as I thought?

Anyway...
01-18-2015 07:20 PM
denton Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Phillips Amara M w/ Gel
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 6-12 set, actual 9-9.58
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

ha, I used to nap almost every day in the afternoon. After starting treatment a couple of months ago, I rarely feel the need to nap except on the weekend when the wife is home and it's not always just a nap :-)
01-18-2015 07:22 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sparkle Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Res Med Air Sense 10 Auto Set
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed S10 37028
CPAP Pressure: 4-14

Other Comments: 3 brothers on CPAP; rescue mom to Bootsie Bella; wishes the APAP matched the decor in my bedroom :)

Sex: Female

(01-18-2015 07:20 PM)eviltim Wrote:  Wow, double post AND I used the thumbs down instead of thumbs up icon. Sorry guys, I dropped the ball on that one, maybe I'm not as well rested as I thought?

Anyway...

Did you use your CPAP machine when you took a nap? I've been wondering about that - Does sleep without the CPAP machine set you back in the progress made using the machine?
01-18-2015 07:49 PM
quiescence at last Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: REMstar System One with Autoflex
Mask Make & Model: Quattro AirFit F10
Humidifier: yes typical setting = 4
CPAP Pressure: 5-13 Autotritrating CPAP
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: CMS-50F Plus oximeter /w SPO2 Assistant software. Avowed mouth-breather switching to nose-breathing

Most of us agree that the sensible brain part of the therapy can get confused if you keep switching in and out of therapy. I only purposely will go without xPAP treatment when I want to do a periodic SpO2 check.

I am dumping caffeine, calories, and other things, and expect that when I am through I will have a different status (apnea Y/N, BMI < 30, glucose below Type 2 cutoff). I want some before and after readings.

Don't take a nap off the PAP is you wish to feel better after the nap.

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
You'll note I am listed as an Advisory Member. I am honored to be listed as such. See the fine print - Advisory Members as a group provide advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies. Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
01-18-2015 08:19 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
eviltim Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

(01-18-2015 07:49 PM)Sparkle Wrote:  
(01-18-2015 07:20 PM)eviltim Wrote:  Wow, double post AND I used the thumbs down instead of thumbs up icon. Sorry guys, I dropped the ball on that one, maybe I'm not as well rested as I thought?

Anyway...

Did you use your CPAP machine when you took a nap? I've been wondering about that - Does sleep without the CPAP machine set you back in the progress made using the machine?

Oh yeah! I haven't tried it with the CPAP off but I don't see why it wouldn't be apnea-riddled just like my normal CPAP-less sleep is.
01-18-2015 08:52 PM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Congrats on finding a new afternoon nappy-time option, Tim. I've found that such afternoon naps (with CPAP) help me a lot as far as daytime alertness. Amazing what a 20-30 minute nap can do.

Also, I deleted your duplicate thread and made your thumbs-down into a thumbs-up icon which I assume you intended.

Sleep well...

Coffee

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

01-19-2015 12:41 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sparkle Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Res Med Air Sense 10 Auto Set
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed S10 37028
CPAP Pressure: 4-14

Other Comments: 3 brothers on CPAP; rescue mom to Bootsie Bella; wishes the APAP matched the decor in my bedroom :)

Sex: Female

(01-18-2015 08:19 PM)quiescence at last Wrote:  Most of us agree that the sensible brain part of the therapy can get confused if you keep switching in and out of therapy. I only purposely will go without xPAP treatment when I want to do a periodic SpO2 check.

I am dumping caffeine, calories, and other things, and expect that when I am through I will have a different status (apnea Y/N, BMI < 30, glucose below Type 2 cutoff). I want some before and after readings.

Don't take a nap off the PAP is you wish to feel better after the nap.

Thank you this is helpful. I am caffeine free now 15 days. Also sugar and bread free . I look forward to my follow up appt w/the dr. who prescribed the treatment (he's a pulmonologist) and having better stats than when I first met with him in December. Good luck!
01-19-2015 12:55 PM
eviltim Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

(01-19-2015 12:41 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  Congrats on finding a new afternoon nappy-time option, Tim. I've found that such afternoon naps (with CPAP) help me a lot as far as daytime alertness. Amazing what a 20-30 minute nap can do.

Also, I deleted your duplicate thread and made your thumbs-down into a thumbs-up icon which I assume you intended.

Sleep well...

Coffee

Thanks! I did. 10 hours today, after missing out the past few.
01-19-2015 01:41 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Are naps encouraged?? GrammaBear 19 3,980 01-21-2015 08:51 PM
Last Post: novatom
  Naps and Data Lukie 4 1,200 11-21-2013 09:46 PM
Last Post: Regular Joe