Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The Joy of Naps
Thumbsup 
The Joy of Naps
Today I didn't sleep very much this morning for whatever reason. Kind of powered through the morning with some coffee and really felt just terrible after lunch. So I did something I wasn't able to do before I got my CPAP -- laid down and took a nap. Back when I was untreated laying down to sleep in the day would invariably result in a pounding headache and feeling even worse than I did before. My case wasn't as bad as some of y'alls to where I was falling asleep in the daytime, so I opted to never take a nap, ever. I slept for 20-30 minutes maybe and I've felt great all afternoon. I need to remember that I have this option now.

Anyone else had this happen since starting CPAP?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: The Joy of Naps
Wow, double post AND I used the thumbs down instead of thumbs up icon. Sorry guys, I dropped the ball on that one, maybe I'm not as well rested as I thought?

Anyway...
Post Reply Post Reply
ha, I used to nap almost every day in the afternoon. After starting treatment a couple of months ago, I rarely feel the need to nap except on the weekend when the wife is home and it's not always just a nap :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2015, 07:20 PM)eviltim Wrote: Wow, double post AND I used the thumbs down instead of thumbs up icon. Sorry guys, I dropped the ball on that one, maybe I'm not as well rested as I thought?

Anyway...

Did you use your CPAP machine when you took a nap? I've been wondering about that - Does sleep without the CPAP machine set you back in the progress made using the machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
Most of us agree that the sensible brain part of the therapy can get confused if you keep switching in and out of therapy. I only purposely will go without xPAP treatment when I want to do a periodic SpO2 check.

I am dumping caffeine, calories, and other things, and expect that when I am through I will have a different status (apnea Y/N, BMI < 30, glucose below Type 2 cutoff). I want some before and after readings.

Don't take a nap off the PAP is you wish to feel better after the nap.
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2015, 07:49 PM)Sparkle Wrote:
(01-18-2015, 07:20 PM)eviltim Wrote: Wow, double post AND I used the thumbs down instead of thumbs up icon. Sorry guys, I dropped the ball on that one, maybe I'm not as well rested as I thought?

Anyway...

Did you use your CPAP machine when you took a nap? I've been wondering about that - Does sleep without the CPAP machine set you back in the progress made using the machine?

Oh yeah! I haven't tried it with the CPAP off but I don't see why it wouldn't be apnea-riddled just like my normal CPAP-less sleep is.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats on finding a new afternoon nappy-time option, Tim. I've found that such afternoon naps (with CPAP) help me a lot as far as daytime alertness. Amazing what a 20-30 minute nap can do.

Also, I deleted your duplicate thread and made your thumbs-down into a thumbs-up icon which I assume you intended.

Sleep well...

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2015, 08:19 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: Most of us agree that the sensible brain part of the therapy can get confused if you keep switching in and out of therapy. I only purposely will go without xPAP treatment when I want to do a periodic SpO2 check.

I am dumping caffeine, calories, and other things, and expect that when I am through I will have a different status (apnea Y/N, BMI < 30, glucose below Type 2 cutoff). I want some before and after readings.

Don't take a nap off the PAP is you wish to feel better after the nap.

Thank you this is helpful. I am caffeine free now 15 days. Also sugar and bread free . I look forward to my follow up appt w/the dr. who prescribed the treatment (he's a pulmonologist) and having better stats than when I first met with him in December. Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2015, 12:41 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Congrats on finding a new afternoon nappy-time option, Tim. I've found that such afternoon naps (with CPAP) help me a lot as far as daytime alertness. Amazing what a 20-30 minute nap can do.

Also, I deleted your duplicate thread and made your thumbs-down into a thumbs-up icon which I assume you intended.

Sleep well...

Coffee

Thanks! I did. 10 hours today, after missing out the past few.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Afternoon Naps rkashyap 10 1,437 12-17-2021, 02:05 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  AHI less than 2, but still tired when wake up in the morning. Feel good after naps. ChinaMan 14 3,649 12-09-2019, 11:00 PM
Last Post: SleepyTexasGirl
  Avoiding Naps Helpful? ronlecroy 7 1,659 08-25-2018, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  Do naps count toward compliance? pinetree 9 2,409 08-11-2018, 06:32 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [split] Naps IowaMC60 5 1,582 10-20-2017, 10:34 PM
Last Post: Sheepish
  Are naps encouraged?? GrammaBear 19 7,283 01-21-2015, 08:51 PM
Last Post: novatom
  Naps and Data Lukie 4 2,455 11-21-2013, 09:46 PM
Last Post: Regular Joe

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.