Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The Medical Mafia and Worse
RE: The Medical Mafia and Worse
I would like to say some things about the medical community. First we have a lot of good people on this forum and in case we have all forgotten some of them are in the medical community. I think that they probably feel the same way about some of their cohorts as the rest of us do. I guess my point is that we should not tar all medical people with the same brush. I think that we know of some good medical people although the medical systems that we all must deal with can make things extremely frustrating. I have even found a good RT. Part of the problem is that sleep apnea is not a high priority to many medical people compared to other ailments they deal with so we may get less medical attention and more commercial attention because there are profits to be made.

In short, let's hear some of the good as well as the bad and lets not condemn all for the sake of the portions that are not so good.. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

Just some of my thoughts.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
You're right of course Payton. It all goes to the idea that everyone's different. Except me of course, I'm the same. But in spite of their "mafianess," I am grateful for the guy that found my aneurism and the guy that patched it up. I'm also grateful for the cool staff of my VA sleep clinic, and the various professionals in the COPD fields I have been blessed with at the VA.

But over the years I too have experienced my share of jerks.

Again I relate it to a pendulum. It seems to me just about everything in live goes in swings. All the way one direction, then all the way the other. Somewhere there's a nice middle. Maybe that's why I have a belly button fetish.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-04-2014, 11:53 AM)retired_guy Wrote: Maybe that's why I have a belly button fetish.

Which is why we require him to wear that t-shirt. He'd be looking down at his belly button all day long if he were to go shirtless.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
He still looks down at it even with the shirt on!!!

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
You all have interesting ideas. But you haven't thrown the worst dregs of the earth into the fray. LAWYERS.

Much of what the medical community does is influenced by these heathens.
Post Reply Post Reply
AMEN. Preach on brother.

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
It is sad that our system squats health care with health insurance. It ignores the fact that as much as 1/3 of a doctor visit fee may go to Mal practice insurance. Hence the influence of lawyers.
If we could get to a system where a doctor disclosed his fee for the service or treatment in question, up front and you could look.at the alternatives then decide how to proceed. Weather to choose a or b or do nothing. To pay out of pocket or pay for insurance. Or some combination. And limit the lawyers impact on the transaction we might all be healthier and happier.
Now the doctor diagnosis, the insurance company decides on the treatment the lawyer sues everyone and we go along for the ride and hope for the best.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2014, 09:48 PM)bwexler Wrote: It is sad that our system squats health care with health insurance. It ignores the fact that as much as 1/3 of a doctor visit fee may go to Mal practice insurance. Hence the influence of lawyers.

The medical mafia likes to blame everything on malpractice lawsuits, but if you look at the figures, the actual amount of money awarded in malpractice cases is a fairly small percentage of the total amount of money paid in medical bills.

Harvard School of Public Health - 2.4%

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-r...-costs-us/

The Congressional Budget Office, quoted by some lawyer group. - 2%

http://www.justice.org/cps/rde/justice/hs.xsl/8686.htm

This was also interesting.

http://www.truecostofhealthcare.org/malpractice

Don't get me wrong. I think there are too many unjustified malpractice lawsuits. I'm no fan of the lawyers in many cases.

However, I think a lot of the talk about a "malpractice crisis" is part of the "unconscious conspiracy" of the medical mafia. The fear of lawsuits helps isolate MM members from the general public. It makes them fearful of outsiders. The belief that malpractice lawsuits are a scam makes MM members stick together to protect their "family." It encourages and justifies ordering more highly profitable tests and treatments.

It's another case of a tribal society demonizing outsiders and glorifying insiders. It's like xenophobia and nationalism.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I referred to the high cost of mal practice insurance I was focused on a medical office practice, not a hospital, lab or surgeon. I doubt a neurosurgeon who charges $10,000 plus for a surgery allocates $3,333 to mal practice insurance. However, an MD who charges $75 for an office visit may allocate $25 to that insurance. I know of several MDs who have sold there practice, citing insurance as one of the reasons.
The flip side is collecting there fees from health insurance companies often requires a full time staff person to do the billing and months to collect, often at a rate drastically reduced.
I saw a chiropractor who's posted fee per visit was $90. When I insisted he bill my insurance he complied and collected the $35 copay from me. When I received the statement from my insurance, they paid him $1.11 for their share of the visit. I know the billing person spent an hour dealing with the insurance, getting the pre authorization, submitting the bill etc. it's no wonder they don't like dealing with insurance companies.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2014, 06:44 PM)bwexler Wrote: The flip side is collecting there fees from health insurance companies often requires a full time staff person to do the billing and months to collect, often at a rate drastically reduced.

I know at least a few docs where the only card they want to see says "Visa" on it.

They've very happy.

In fact, it's good for getting rid of a lot of office staff and leaves more time for patients.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 216 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 180 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 585 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 324 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Events worse in the morning and events in general getting worse Elizabeth79 45 1,983 02-14-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Elizabeth79
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 323 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 933 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.