Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The Most Likely Part Failure
RE: The Most Likely Part Failure
(04-16-2018, 11:56 PM)Ron AKA Wrote: By the way, before retirement I worked 35 years or so in the power generation business. One day an electrician that had worked a long time as well in the business told me a secret about electricity. You can't see it, you can't hear it, and it actually works using something called "magic smoke". If you let that smoke out of anything electrical, it doesn't work any more! I'm afraid Sleeprider let the smoke out...
Lucas hydraulics leak fluid.
Lucas electrics leak smoke.

Lucas, the inventor of the intermittent windscreen wiper...  and the inventor of the intermittent headlight.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've learned my lesson. Had a brick power supply quit at night waking me up. Fortunately I had an old supply from another AirSense 10 that I could use. I ordered another brick power supply the next day. I'm on my third AirSense 10 and had 2 power supplies go bad.
I got curious and took the first power supply apart. There are slo-blow fuses on the AC in lines-both were open. After examining the components, I found a ceramic capacitor (C4) quite burned. It sits across 2 legs of Q2 (transistor). I then opened the other bad supply. Exactly the same components were bad-open fuses and burnt c4 capacitor. Don't know if the Q2 transistor went bad or not-can't find any data on it.
So, if you use an AirSense 10 or similar power supply, definitely have a back-up. You can find them cheaper than through a DME supplier.
Post Reply Post Reply
I purchased 3rd party power supplies from Amazon for both my S9 and A10 units.  Since they were 1/3 the Resmed price, I was expecting potential problems.  Not so!  These KFD power supplies have been working for the past 4 years.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
AZGuy thanks for your post.

Personal experience--travelling to Cape Cod stayed in a terrible motel in the middle of nowhere. Had a violent, near-by lightning strike.  Lights out. TV out. The TV never came back on.  My S9E did. It was plugged into my surge suppressor-extension cord...I always use it.

Observations--scared the u know what out of me. Realized that I am totally scared about not using my machine every night. Moreso--this vacation started in Toronto, via Watkins Glen and on to Cape Cod, then returned. Had my machine died I would have packed and gone home.

I called [DME Link Removed] Supplier #1 . They as US suppliers would not honour a Canadian prescription for a new cpap machine.  

The stress was terrible until I returned to Canada and home. If I was home my DME supplier would have provided a loaner unit. However, they would not send one to me in the US.

I'm sorry you had this experience. I'm grateful you reommended a new/spare power unit.

-----
Moderator Action: DME Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, links to DME-owned or DME-operated websites and links to pages that sell prescription-required items are prohibited in forum posts.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules.

-----
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Makes me think we should all travel with a backup system, even if not of the same type.  I'd rather have the use of a 10 year-old basic CPAP machine than take the risk of going one night with oxygen deprevation.  More luggage, I know, but it could just sit in the trunk or separate suitcase when air travel.  Can't imagine even one night without an xPAP.  Upon loss/failure with no backup, I'd be tempted to go to the nearest HD for a hack with a leaf blower and some duct tape!
Post Reply Post Reply
WakeUpTime==car's too small!

I already travel without my humidifier and water source. I've purchased an end plate for the S10 "for her" machine so I can do so. That was easier to do with my S9E; I simply unclipped my humidifier and used a different hose.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm glad I have a ResMed machine. Followed suggestions here.

But this shows no design is perfect. Power Pack is clearly a weak link in the chain of design...
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
Good idea, WakeUpTime.

If you upgrade your CPAP machine every 5 years, hopefully your old machine and power supply are still working. You can carry the old machine and power supply as backup. I've never had a machine go bad on me (knocking on wood right now), but the power supplies are scary. Nothing like being far away from home and have an issue with the machine, power supply or even mask/hose. I'll start carrying all with me as spares when away from home.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 124 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  Heart Failure with Sleep Apnea kwhenrykerr 2 207 04-02-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 33 10,419 03-29-2024, 02:30 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Eagerly seeking ancient CPAP part ! Visualist 3 344 03-12-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Visualist
  F30 Full Face Mask - total failure?? BobH56 20 3,410 12-05-2023, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rhwoe
  Alternative Part? sambo42xa 1 431 08-27-2023, 10:17 AM
Last Post: sambo42xa
  CPAP Failure, ASV Attempter, Still Failure ophiuchus 16 1,467 07-10-2023, 05:59 AM
Last Post: ophiuchus

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.