Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The Noise Question Again......
The Noise Question Again......
Hi all,

I have put a Gym mat square underneath the machine and arched it up over the unit like a wave which is bolstered in place by my secondary pillows. The unit is on the far side of the bed away from me. I've also put a secondary gym mat square behind the first in the "wave" portion to create a short wall, like a cubicle separation. This placement of the second section helped more, but I'm still wearing ear plugs and not sleeping well from the noise. And, there is no hope of getting back into the communal bed at this point......

I'm still bothered by the noise. There is a distinct hum even when holding my breath, and of course a dissonant moan when exhaling, and, sometimes high pitched squealing which abates after slapping the machine (yes, this last statement is leaving me wide open for sarcasm and quips I know....).

I should add that I have relative pitch in case anyone can weigh in that has perfect or relative pitch too.

Thank you.

PS I'm not going to post the DME saga here due to possible lurkers, but it has been unpleasant.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: The Noise Question Again......
Something has to be wrong with your A10. Mine is all but silent even when running at a setting of 15.

fos
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with foss, I've been using my A10 Autoset since last September and it's the quietest machine I've used, quieter than my S9 and Icon (my pressures runs in the 14 cm area most of the night)........there is an issue with your particular machine, I have heard of some manufacturing issues on these machines in terms of motor or impeller noise.
Post Reply Post Reply
It happens to me sometimes and I have yet to find out exactly what is going on. However, I have narrowed mine down to the water chamber and in one of three places: The air inlet or outlet where the chamber slips into the main unit or the silicon seal between the lid and base of the water chamber. I can hit it or push it and it will stop, sometimes only for a while. Sometimes I need to remove the chamber and reinsert it.

With some combinations of these things I so far have been able to get it to stop. It is an air leak at one of those three silicon gasket seals.

You are describing what I hear exactly. Inspect those places and see if you can find something out of place.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. I will check the seals. I do agree that something is wrong with it. I've been dreading going to bed and using the CPAP because it keeps me awake.

I'm working on getting it repaired, or replaced, but have not gotten to the right person to facilitate that yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dagmar1,
I sure hope you can get a replacement, it shouldn't be noisy and you shouldn't have to dread such an important thing as sleeping. .
Good luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for all your encouragement and suggestions! I hope to have a happy ending update for you at some pointSmile
Post Reply Post Reply
Anything come of this? My machine has just started consistently making a high pitched squeal whenever it's on. Fortunately the machine is in a recessed cabinet above my head, so it's far enough away that I can still fall asleep. But boy is it irritating...
-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply
Ailu,
Is it possible that your machine is being bounced around a little while you are traveling.

Not saying that's the case, but even small bumps can cause some seals or some other part to come loose.

Make sure your machine is secure in your cabinet. You can place a rubberized shelf liner under it or a towel to absorb any bumps while on the road.

Also, check to see if your filters are seated properly.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2015, 08:40 PM)Dagmar1 Wrote: Hi all,

I have put a Gym mat square underneath the machine and arched it up over the unit like a wave which is bolstered in place by my secondary pillows. The unit is on the far side of the bed away from me. I've also put a secondary gym mat square behind the first in the "wave" portion to create a short wall, like a cubicle separation. This placement of the second section helped more, but I'm still wearing ear plugs and not sleeping well from the noise. And, there is no hope of getting back into the communal bed at this point......

I'm still bothered by the noise. There is a distinct hum even when holding my breath, and of course a dissonant moan when exhaling, and, sometimes high pitched squealing which abates after slapping the machine (yes, this last statement is leaving me wide open for sarcasm and quips I know....).

I should add that I have relative pitch in case anyone can weigh in that has perfect or relative pitch too.

Thank you.

PS I'm not going to post the DME saga here due to possible lurkers, but it has been unpleasant.

My A10 was very noisy with each and every inspiration. Darth Vader.

It was a new A10 and everything was in perfect order. Because I didn't need wireless, and because of the issue with the seals on the humidifier, and because of this noise, I purchased another super-quiet and faithful S9.

I would never sleep hearing this noise from the back of the A10 with every inspiration: http://picosong.com/6q7p/
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,304 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 93 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 147 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,605 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  [CPAP] Resmed airmini noise NYKP44 0 360 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: NYKP44
Question Resmed Autoset 10 buzzing noise - what now? mogulman 8 596 01-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Equipment] Airsense 10 Noise tblaster 4 345 01-15-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: tblaster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.