Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The Nuts and Bolts of Scoring Apneas and Hypopneas
search post title for what seems to me to be really good info
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
Extreeeemly interesting. Sounds like in some ways the polysomnography equipment is not totally perfect either. I have not finished reading all of it yet but as reported many of the recorded data are from indirect measurements.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good article. Makes me wonder just how accurate these little machines really are if they lack crucial components such as EEG and oximetry.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply

I had that discussion the other day with an advisor at the LL, and she said that if you ask the manufacturers, very accurate, if ask doctors, not at all accurate. I often spot check my results against a pulse-ox recording to see how they line up, usually pretty well, actually, but I doubt that the scoring is 100% accurate. Accurate enough to provide therapeutic value, though, which is all that counts for most of us.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great article, very informative and mind opening...however....

the article is from 2001... has the technology/methodology changed in that time?? Personally I will be investigating this as I have had such mixed results from titration/sleep studies and from the data from our little machines.

for instance: http://www.sleeptechtutor.com/documents/..._rules.pdf

and this was very interesting to me...:-): http://blog.aastweb.org/scoring-obstruct...e-criteria

One thing that has changed for me in the last two months is that I no longer rely solely on data and its interpretation for how I conduct my therapy. Now I actually monitor how I feel each day, during different times of the day, my sleep hygiene and quality of sleep. The data is great as a reflection, but it is, for me, an abstraction of reality. The best way I can benefit myself is to be more aware of how I feel and what I can do to improve...

Just a small part of my CPAP journey...

Sleep-well

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why are hypopneas 10 seconds long? Rcgop 36 1,852 4 hours ago
Last Post: JohnnyGobbs
  High central apneas? 3mp0w3r 1 124 03-25-2017, 09:44 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  First night on autopap (central apneas) JohnnyGobbs 74 2,727 03-12-2017, 11:39 AM
Last Post: JohnnyGobbs
  Central Apneas while awake and at night Lkng67 4 238 03-11-2017, 12:54 PM
Last Post: chill
  Question on mostly hypopneas DanPrado 4 351 12-31-2016, 05:32 PM
Last Post: DanPrado
  [Pressure] Hypoxic- No Apneas- Pressure Too High? beardog 13 919 11-08-2016, 06:19 PM
Last Post: PsychoMike
  Flex settings and hypopneas KSMatthew 4 803 10-21-2016, 09:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider