Thread Closed 
The ResMed Spotlight -- Thanks Guys! (Not)
Tabbycat Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 7-9
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

The ResMed Spotlight -- Thanks Guys! (Not)
My new ResMed S9 AutoSet is loaded with top-of-the-line features -- APAP, detailed sleep data, auto on. But it's nice to know that even the lowest-priced models from this maker are blessed with that most beloved of features, the ResMed Spotlight.

What CPAP user -- carefully arranging his bedroom with a checklist of all things sleep-hygenic, including blackout curtains -- would not thrill to getting BLASTED IN THE FACE WITH A BEAM OF LIGHT BRIGHTER THAN THE SUN? ResMed engineers know how critical it is to be informed, upon waking at 3:30 AM, that their machine is COOLING DOWN. With the BRIGHTEST POSSIBLE DISPLAY. And be reminded of that for the next few minutes while trying desperately to get back to sleep.

ResMed engineers well understand how annoying those overly-complex features (known as "options") can be -- like, you know, the choice to TURN THE F%#!ING ARCLIGHT OFF -- having learned this valuable design concept working for GE and Sony designing hotel alarms clocks. The ones with a single brightness setting: SUPERNOVA.

Wait ... The S9 and other ResMed CPAP machines are for SLEEPING?
As in ... IN DARKNESS?

Maybe there's a way to inform ResMed of this.
02-17-2014 07:51 AM
Find all posts by this user

Donate to Apnea Board
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

RE: The ResMed Spotlight -- Thanks Guys! (Not)
The bright light is designed to keep your vitamin D level up so you can sleep better. SHa_biggrin5

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
02-17-2014 07:56 AM
Gabby Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her
Mask Make & Model: Philips Nuance Nasal Mask
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10 For Her
CPAP Pressure: 8-14

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

That's funny, you have a point Tabbycat, write to ResMed and give them a piece of your mind, in fact send them a copy of this letter.

Sleep Tight...
Gabby
02-17-2014 08:12 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
drgrimes Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: S9 Resmed Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Philips Dreamwear
Humidifier: resmed
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

I agree it's an irritation. My s9 sits in my sock drawer, drawer open when in use. I just lay a sock over the screen. A clean one of course. Yes it would be nice if Resmed offered a better solution. Maybe on the S10.
02-17-2014 09:52 AM
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed AutoSet S9
Mask Type: Oral
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 11-16

Other Comments: Backup Mask: Innomed Hybrid FFM -- Oral+Nasal Pillows

I would be far more interested in a "high contrast" (mostly black and white or any contrasting colors) option.

Figure, a relative high proportion of people using the machine are getting a bit older, and pretty much everyone using the machine takes off their glasses/contacts while sleeping.

So given all that, the "pretty colors" are wasted on me when my eyes don't want to focus at 3am. Just show me the info, the shaded coloring is wasted on me then.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
02-17-2014 10:03 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

On some machines, the display light stay on all night, On the S9 the light turn off by itself and only come back on when you press a button. Personally I like the features of the S9 and would not trade my machine with any other machine but your mileage may vary

The cooling down blows air for some time after you turn off the machine to assist the the heater plate cooling and dry the hose but if wanted you can power down or unplug the machine

As for award ... ResMed won the red dot design awards for the S9 series in 2010 against designers and companies from 57 countries with a total of 4,252 products in Oslo
02-17-2014 03:44 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Okay, I don't think I understand. Your light for the humidifier comes on at night? Why? Did you turn it off? The only time the light on mine turns on is when I:

- first turn the machine on when I go to bed, it glows blue. It is on for I guess a full minute. Then it shuts off. The only light on is the one that indicates the on/off button.

- when I turn the machine off, it glows orange. Again, it is only one for about a minute, then goes off. The only light on is the indicator light.

Other than that, there is no light in the middle of the night. I would know due to the Rib Alarm System that sleeps with me. When I come to bed, I put my cell phone over the humidifier to dim it until it goes off. My old S7, the light never went off. We kept a towel over it all the time.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
02-17-2014 06:50 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
tokyo43 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: RESMED S9 Elite (Fixed pressure CPAP)
Mask Make & Model: F&P Pilairo Q
Humidifier: RESMED H5i/climite line
CPAP Pressure: 8.6

Other Comments: 46 yrs old, 5'11, 180lbs.

(02-17-2014 06:50 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  Okay, I don't think I understand. Your light for the humidifier comes on at night? Why? Did you turn it off?

Bathroom break?

It annoys me also. I keep a small towel handy to cover it.
02-17-2014 07:51 PM
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0

Other Comments:

(02-17-2014 06:50 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  Okay, I don't think I understand. Your light for the humidifier comes on at night? Why? Did you turn it off? The only time the light on mine turns on is when I:

- first turn the machine on when I go to bed, it glows blue. It is on for I guess a full minute. Then it shuts off. The only light on is the one that indicates the on/off button.

- when I turn the machine off, it glows orange. Again, it is only one for about a minute, then goes off. The only light on is the indicator light.

Other than that, there is no light in the middle of the night. I would know due to the Rib Alarm System that sleeps with me. When I come to bed, I put my cell phone over the humidifier to dim it until it goes off. My old S7, the light never went off. We kept a towel over it all the time.

Rib Alarm System. Is that as in Elbow to the Rib Alarm?? I had one of those back when I was snoring a lot.

PaytonA
02-17-2014 10:53 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PollCat Offline
Apnea Board Polling Administrator
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: H5i Cleanable with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18

Other Comments: CPAP-ing since 1995; Type 2 Diabetes; Chronic Asthma; Gout

Whoa! You mean there's a light that comes on when you remove your mask in the middle of the night?!?!? Huh Strange, I've never seen this supposed bright light because my machine sits under my bed! BananaBananaBanana

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
02-18-2014 08:51 AM
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Just when I thought you guys were geniuses.....this happened.... Daisylouu 4 445 09-29-2016 01:19 PM
Last Post: Daisylouu
  Newby and thanks too all in advance for info you guys have given Hueypilot 6 1,002 07-29-2015 09:10 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  [Equipment] Calling all bearded guys mkhenry 11 2,984 11-22-2013 04:22 AM
Last Post: zonk
Question Please give us some advice guys Nickynok 6 2,630 12-06-2012 09:24 PM
Last Post: archangle