Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The ResMed Spotlight -- Thanks Guys! (Not)
The ResMed Spotlight -- Thanks Guys! (Not)
My new ResMed S9 AutoSet is loaded with top-of-the-line features -- APAP, detailed sleep data, auto on. But it's nice to know that even the lowest-priced models from this maker are blessed with that most beloved of features, the ResMed Spotlight.

What CPAP user -- carefully arranging his bedroom with a checklist of all things sleep-hygenic, including blackout curtains -- would not thrill to getting BLASTED IN THE FACE WITH A BEAM OF LIGHT BRIGHTER THAN THE SUN? ResMed engineers know how critical it is to be informed, upon waking at 3:30 AM, that their machine is COOLING DOWN. With the BRIGHTEST POSSIBLE DISPLAY. And be reminded of that for the next few minutes while trying desperately to get back to sleep.

ResMed engineers well understand how annoying those overly-complex features (known as "options") can be -- like, you know, the choice to TURN THE F%#!ING ARCLIGHT OFF -- having learned this valuable design concept working for GE and Sony designing hotel alarms clocks. The ones with a single brightness setting: SUPERNOVA.

Wait ... The S9 and other ResMed CPAP machines are for SLEEPING?
As in ... IN DARKNESS?

Maybe there's a way to inform ResMed of this.
RE: The ResMed Spotlight -- Thanks Guys! (Not)
The bright light is designed to keep your vitamin D level up so you can sleep better. Grin
That's funny, you have a point Tabbycat, write to ResMed and give them a piece of your mind, in fact send them a copy of this letter.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
I agree it's an irritation. My s9 sits in my sock drawer, drawer open when in use. I just lay a sock over the screen. A clean one of course. Yes it would be nice if Resmed offered a better solution. Maybe on the S10.
I would be far more interested in a "high contrast" (mostly black and white or any contrasting colors) option.

Figure, a relative high proportion of people using the machine are getting a bit older, and pretty much everyone using the machine takes off their glasses/contacts while sleeping.

So given all that, the "pretty colors" are wasted on me when my eyes don't want to focus at 3am. Just show me the info, the shaded coloring is wasted on me then.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
On some machines, the display light stay on all night, On the S9 the light turn off by itself and only come back on when you press a button. Personally I like the features of the S9 and would not trade my machine with any other machine but your mileage may vary

The cooling down blows air for some time after you turn off the machine to assist the the heater plate cooling and dry the hose but if wanted you can power down or unplug the machine

As for award ... ResMed won the red dot design awards for the S9 series in 2010 against designers and companies from 57 countries with a total of 4,252 products in Oslo

Okay, I don't think I understand. Your light for the humidifier comes on at night? Why? Did you turn it off? The only time the light on mine turns on is when I:

- first turn the machine on when I go to bed, it glows blue. It is on for I guess a full minute. Then it shuts off. The only light on is the one that indicates the on/off button.

- when I turn the machine off, it glows orange. Again, it is only one for about a minute, then goes off. The only light on is the indicator light.

Other than that, there is no light in the middle of the night. I would know due to the Rib Alarm System that sleeps with me. When I come to bed, I put my cell phone over the humidifier to dim it until it goes off. My old S7, the light never went off. We kept a towel over it all the time.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

(02-17-2014, 06:50 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Okay, I don't think I understand. Your light for the humidifier comes on at night? Why? Did you turn it off?

Bathroom break?

It annoys me also. I keep a small towel handy to cover it.
(02-17-2014, 06:50 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Okay, I don't think I understand. Your light for the humidifier comes on at night? Why? Did you turn it off? The only time the light on mine turns on is when I:

- first turn the machine on when I go to bed, it glows blue. It is on for I guess a full minute. Then it shuts off. The only light on is the one that indicates the on/off button.

- when I turn the machine off, it glows orange. Again, it is only one for about a minute, then goes off. The only light on is the indicator light.

Other than that, there is no light in the middle of the night. I would know due to the Rib Alarm System that sleeps with me. When I come to bed, I put my cell phone over the humidifier to dim it until it goes off. My old S7, the light never went off. We kept a towel over it all the time.

Rib Alarm System. Is that as in Elbow to the Rib Alarm?? I had one of those back when I was snoring a lot.

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Whoa! You mean there's a light that comes on when you remove your mask in the middle of the night?!?!? Huh Strange, I've never seen this supposed bright light because my machine sits under my bed! BananaBananaBanana
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [Diagnosis] Help guys! alexfryatt1993 9 726 01-23-2023, 01:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Guys can someone please explain all the different settings on a BiPap (Philips) Zoltyzolt 2 715 03-12-2022, 09:58 AM
Video [Diagnosis] Hi guys starting therapy today, could someone explain my sleep study IwantToSleep123 6 979 08-14-2021, 01:27 AM
Last Post: IwantToSleep123
  Accolades to the guys here! Danno54 3 746 09-17-2020, 06:38 PM
Surprised Night 8, it's already Love - Hate. So glad I found you guys! FE350 148 13,301 01-08-2020, 09:33 AM
  Hey Guys, Help Tweaking machine Justbreath 25 3,194 06-05-2019, 06:21 PM
  Do you guys unplug your CPAP after it cools down? vroomvroom 13 4,358 04-01-2019, 12:48 AM
Last Post: ardenum

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.