Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] The Respironics Wisp Nasal Mask
RE: The Respironics Wisp Nasal Mask
Having said all that, it seems the mask cushion is not particularly durable. The elasticity seem to wear out quickly, and the cushions need to be replaced every 2 to 3 weeks to maintain a good seal. Not a problem if your insurance covers this, and mine will, after the 90 day compliance period. I went back to a Large last night after 2+ weeks on an XL size, and my AHI was WAY down. Nose is a little itchy today, tho. I still consider this mask my first choice.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have used this mask for a year and a half and my cushions could last more than 2-3 weeks but for health reasons and sanitary reasons I change them every 2 weeks/twice per month. I don't need any more to deal with so I do it to protect my health. I really like this mask and it is my first choice also.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm getting 3 weeks out of my cushions and about 6 months out of the frames. I'm an active sleeper, though, and this mask really stays put well for me. My first choice for sure. Occasionally, it does cause a sore or a zit on the bridge of my nose, so I switch to the Nuance for a few days, and all is well. For me, this one is a great mask.

I'm back to the XL size cushion permanently, I think, and my AHI for the past year is now slightly under 1.00 according to SleepyHead. Not bad, coming from an untreated AHI of 67!

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been switching between 2 nasal cushions since March this year. I boiled one and it was good for a week or so, thereafter it started leaking again. So I stopped using it and refrain from boiling the other (newer) one to see how far it goes. I still managed to use it with little leaks. Side-by-side, I note the unboiled cushion has a stronger more distinct nose shape. Not sure if it was originally like that but there is a difference.

Still using the same frame and head bands.

lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Pressure in the above chart didn't go past 10 H2O though. I have nights where it hits 12.5 H2O but still flat at those sections.
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Snuffy Sleeper -
Before you give up on the Wisp, I'd suggest you get the size large headgear.
I had a bit of problem with the cushion being too high on my nose, and found that even with the top straps at their forward limit the mask was pulling up too much.  The headgear is sized too small.  Get a large one from amazon, adjust between the top and bottom straps until it stops riding up, and then see how you like it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Roelof, I think the headgear is now available in a large size.  You're right that the standard headgear supplied with the Wisp is too small - but a large size of this Wisp headgear is available on amazon for about $20.
With this headgear change permitting the cushion to fit properly without riding up, the mask is great for me.  I can wear either the S/M or L cushion.
Even though the quick disconnect tabs at the nosepiece are nice, I like to route the hose through the loop at the top of the headgear for no-hassle hose management.  It's still pretty easy to wiggle the hose loose up top to take a bathroom break in the middle of the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Forgot to add that I think that now they may have redesigned the cloth frame as well.  The frame I have is two sided and is supposed to be reversible for whatever is most comfortable.  I wear it as it comes - gray on the inside surface and silver outside.  It seems flexible and strong enough, but less stiff and more comfortable than the silicone one I tried before.  This new fabric frame combined with a large headgear makes this a great mask for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I recently purchased the Wisp with large headgear as I know my head is large. However it still seems too small? Everything indicates it's a large, and I end up getting a seal, but the fit seems off.

The crown strap slides of my head. I have to pull the top to stretch the opening enough to sit on the top of my head. But it quickly shrinks and slides off. The bottom straps are at maximum length and feel a little tight. Due to the crown issue the top straps don't do much. The bottom straps are the only ones really holding the mask to my face.

How should the top crown fit? Do I really have a large headgear?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm on vacation with only my dreamwear mask with me, so going only by memory....but it sounds like you might try shifting WHERE the top and back straps sit on your head.  Put them farther forward.  And if you can stand a chinstrap - I use a wide, elastic one that adjusts with velcro ends - putting it on either before or after donning the mask will help to stabilize the mask straps and help them stay put.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask lab rat 45 24,702 03-21-2024, 07:11 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  [Product Review] ResMed N30 Nasal Mask Review (not the N30i) AndyB 17 10,235 02-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: getzall
  [Product Review] Respironics Nuance / Pro Mask Review allielb83 52 59,017 01-08-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  [Product Review] AirFit™ N20 Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear somnia16 58 39,017 08-13-2022, 08:16 AM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
  [Product Review] F&P Evora nasal mask yankees123 26 12,797 11-07-2021, 04:30 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Product Review] Phillips-Respironics DreamWear Crimson Nape 56 61,280 10-20-2021, 10:41 AM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
  [Product Review] Philips Respironics Dreamwear Full Face Mask FLsleeper7 10 7,715 04-20-2020, 02:47 PM
Last Post: hmonnier

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.