Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] The Respironics Wisp Nasal Mask
RE: The Respironics Wisp Nasal Mask
(05-27-2013, 09:49 AM)NErskine Wrote: I've had good results, as well. I've loosened the mask considerably and have eliminated face marks. There are occasional leaks with my loose setup, but not enuf to worry about. I use the fabric frame, btw. I did just order an new mask tho. I ordered a Tap Pap which requires no headgear. I got it for a 30 day return guarantee so I feel comfortable with giving this kind of mask a try. My problems with head gear in general is that my face is sensitive to pressure so I do get marks from gear, and often the straps hurt ... as if I'm sleeping on a small rope or something. I feel a little like the Princess and the pea because these straps certainly don't look bulky but I'm very aware of them all the same. (I'm very new to this whole cpap machine/mask experience so I just may need time to get used to it all.
Hi NErskine,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It does take time to get used to the therapy as a whole but the mask is the hardest part, it requires LOTS of PATIENCE.
It's great that you have had relatively good experience with the Wisp nasal mask.
Best of luck to you as you go with your therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Trish, And thanks to all the folks offering their support and experiences on this forum. This is my first week with cpap and actually my first experience with a forum. The latter is making the former a whole lot more pleasant (or less unpleasant as the case may be Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
I know CPAP therapy can be trying but just stick with it and ask as many questions as you need to help you. There is lots of information to read here and lots of GREAT people to help.
Just hang in there.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried this mask and it was horrible. I couldn't even breathe with it on. I returned it promptly.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi "G&quot,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Not everyone can wear the same type of mask so I understand, sorry it didn't work out, but hopefully, you've found a mask that works just right for you.
Best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2013, 12:27 PM)scubberley Wrote: I tried the Wisp with the silicone frame for the first time last night. It felt loose, but didn't have any leaks. Slept well and my Sleepy Head stats were good. But I did have marks on my face. I sleep on my left side, but had marks on the right side of my face as well. I will be putting wraps on the frame to see if that is an improvement. If not I may try the fabric frame.

I do like the mask, and I have eliminated most of the face marks. But in the mean time I have ordered the fabric mask. I will have to say that I wear the mask loose enough that I wonder how it doesn't leak. It is not a 'snug' fit like other masks.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2013, 10:58 AM)scubberley Wrote:
(05-26-2013, 12:27 PM)scubberley Wrote: I tried the Wisp with the silicone frame for the first time last night. It felt loose, but didn't have any leaks. Slept well and my Sleepy Head stats were good. But I did have marks on my face. I sleep on my left side, but had marks on the right side of my face as well. I will be putting wraps on the frame to see if that is an improvement. If not I may try the fabric frame.

I do like the mask, and I have eliminated most of the face marks. But in the mean time I have ordered the fabric mask. I will have to say that I wear the mask loose enough that I wonder how it doesn't leak. It is not a 'snug' fit like other masks.

I liked the mask, as well, but did order a mask that uses no head gear and I can say that after my first night of wearing this new kind of mask, I am in love! It was incredibly quiet and very comfortable. It was also very easy to exhale with, which I had had a problem with before. Also, at higher air pressure, all of my masks tended to kind of blow off my face. This one does not. It's terrific and I had my best night's sleep since ... Well, since forever as far as I can tell Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Is that the mask that you bite on to hold it place? I wondered how that would work.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2013, 11:52 AM)scubberley Wrote: Is that the mask that you bite on to hold it place? I wondered how that would work.

Yes, there are at least two different makers of them. I'm new to the forum and don't want to make any faux. I know I can tell you I bought the 'Tap Pap' I got it on a 30 days Monet back guarantee ... But I won't be sending it back. There's another one called CPAP Pro. It was more expensive, didn't come with a money back return offer and it looked like the two little nasal insertions could touch my pillow (I'm a side sleeper and masks always hit my pillow sometime during the night and get knocked out of place). In any case, I tried the Tap Pap and I'm really happy with my experience.

(05-30-2013, 02:40 PM)NErskine Wrote:
(05-30-2013, 11:52 AM)scubberley Wrote: Is that the mask that you bite on to hold it place? I wondered how that would work.

Yes, there are at least two different makers of them. I'm new to the forum and don't want to make any faux. I know I can tell you I bought the 'Tap Pap' I got it on a 30 days Monet back guarantee ... But I won't be sending it back. There's another one called CPAP Pro. It was more expensive, didn't come with a money back return offer and it looked like the two little nasal insertions could touch my pillow (I'm a side sleeper and masks always hit my pillow sometime during the night and get knocked out of place). In any case, I tried the Tap Pap and I'm really happy with my experience.

Hehehe Please ignore my auto correct errors. I think (hope) the above is understandable Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
I used a variety of masks on a trial basis and found that the Respironics Wisp Nasal mask appeared to work well for me. I decided to buy one for regular use (and it was expensive, almost $300). I was not given the option of buying the mask that I had used during the trial (I tried, believe me) and had to buy a new one. Let me tell you about it ....

Philips Respironics appears to have gone for the obscene profits rather than for quality control. The mask was made in China - already a bad sign because products from China are at best, questionable these days - contamination, fakes, poor materials, etc. - just listen to the news reports. When I purchased the mask, I checked it and compared it to the one that I had used on trial. I noted to the "technician" that the material of the nose piece appeared to be weaker - thinner, and more porous but I was poo-pooed. Well, I have used the new mask for 4 nights and the nose piece is falling apart. Bits of the material in the interior of the nose piece fall out into my hand when I am wiping the mask. I expect that these pieces would eventually make it into my nasal passages. The inner parts have been weakened and the piece collapses on my face after a few hours, making it almost impossible to breathe so I am forced to remove it. Philips thinks that apnea is a joke?

As well, the hose which is part of the Wisp is very stiff in comparison to the one that was on my trial mask. The material from which it is made is not of the same quality as that used in the trial mask. And the plastic support is also not as soft as that which was on the trial mask. It sticks to the face.

So what happened??? Is this a "bait and switch" by Philips? Is a different factory in China producing the mask? Were masks produced elsewhere before??[/size][/font] The mask is very expensive and should last at least as long as its warranty. I have to go back and try to get a replacement. Since I live in the country, it is not a trivial trip.

Does anyone know whether there are any nasal masks out there that are NOT made in China??? What is it going to be - death from apnea by choking because of a defective mask??

Anyone considering buying a Wisp should examine it very, very carefully in the shop - bring a magnifying glass if your eyesight is not very good. But check!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask lab rat 45 24,682 03-21-2024, 07:11 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  [Product Review] ResMed N30 Nasal Mask Review (not the N30i) AndyB 17 10,221 02-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: getzall
  [Product Review] Respironics Nuance / Pro Mask Review allielb83 52 58,985 01-08-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  [Product Review] AirFit™ N20 Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear somnia16 58 38,996 08-13-2022, 08:16 AM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
  [Product Review] F&P Evora nasal mask yankees123 26 12,783 11-07-2021, 04:30 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Product Review] Phillips-Respironics DreamWear Crimson Nape 56 61,260 10-20-2021, 10:41 AM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
  [Product Review] Philips Respironics Dreamwear Full Face Mask FLsleeper7 10 7,708 04-20-2020, 02:47 PM
Last Post: hmonnier

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.