Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] The Respironics Wisp Nasal Mask
RE: The Respironics Wisp Nasal Mask
Hi Savi,

I have to say that I disagree with you on this. The WISP has been great. I am in between the small/medium and the large cushion, so I can use either. I love the smaller hose that attaches to the main hose. Also, I keep the mask loose which is no problem because the pressure creates a good seal. This also enables me to slip the headgear on and off without undoing the clips. It has no forehead piece which is awesome, especially since I'm a side sleeper. I have the fabric frame and I find it very comfortable. I've used the Swift nasal pillows and the Mirage FX and the WISP is my fav by far. Hope you find your fit.

J
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2013, 10:58 AM)scubberley Wrote:
(05-26-2013, 12:27 PM)scubberley Wrote: I tried the Wisp with the silicone frame for the first time last night. It felt loose, but didn't have any leaks. Slept well and my Sleepy Head stats were good. But I did have marks on my face. I sleep on my left side, but had marks on the right side of my face as well. I will be putting wraps on the frame to see if that is an improvement. If not I may try the fabric frame.

I do like the mask, and I have eliminated most of the face marks. But in the mean time I have ordered the fabric mask. I will have to say that I wear the mask loose enough that I wonder how it doesn't leak. It is not a 'snug' fit like other masks.

I like the fabric frame and yes, it can be worn very loose because the pressure will create a good seal. Best mask I've had yet. Most comfortable and least obtrusive too! Good luck. If you do get the fabric frame, just slip it on and off from the back and don't even unclip it. If you can't do that, then it's prob too tight.

Post Reply Post Reply
Respironics Wisp Nasal Mask
I love this mask. I bought it when it first came out at under $100 and consider it a much more valuable purchase. It comes with all three sizes of nasal cushions and I like to change mine once a month though some users may go longer. I like the minimal footprint of the mask on my face. It was very easy to fit and I have very little leakage. The whole assembly is very minimalist- there is simply not much to the mask. At first I thought it rather flimsy but it stands up fine to my side and back sleeping. I use it with a chin strap as my mouth tends to fall open and it's almost like nothing is there. I don't see myself ever buying another type of mask.
As I said it's very easy to fit and can be rather loose and work fine. There is nothing I didn't like about this mask. I consider it the best mask ever and a good value.
PM me if I didn't cover what you need to know.
Post Reply Post Reply
LOVE IT! I'm on my second WISP & frame. Started with the fabric frame which I really like better, but the right-side hole where the clip goes just stretched out until I had to remove the clip & just use the velcro & then unclip on the left (awkward, but doable). Tried the silcone frame this last time & just not sure I really like it. Seems a bit more bulky & my face sweats where it touches. I do keep the frame loose since the pressure creates a good seal. I tried another nasal mask & had lots of leaks in the puppet mouth creases next to my nose. WISP doesn't do that!

The lightweight tubing that comes with the mask is very usable & good to disconnect on nightly BR trips. Doesn't spew out loud air either. But I can exhale with no problem at 10 pressure.

After trying several different masks in my 15 months of use, this is the best so far and the one I use nightly now. I give it 5 stars!

I am kind of concerned about having a build up of excess nasal cushions over time since I only use the S/M size & this comes with 3 in the fit pack. Do people sell these extra parts?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi hoffman01,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You should be able to get the cushions separately I would think, check the supplier list on this board at the top of each page.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I purchased one too (from the states, I could not find it anywhere over here in the Netherlands)

Initially it did not sit very well, my nostrils were pinched shut during the night. Then I found out there are two sizes of headgear, and the Wisp is shipped with the smaller one. I had the velcro on the largest setting, and it would just about fit, but the mask would ride up during the night.

I ordered the larger headgear through e-bay. You cannot buy a full set with the large headgear included, the large headgear is only sold separately. Here I got a surprise: Instead of the official wisp headgear I was sent a replacement headgear for a TrueBlue mask. It turns out this one also fits the Wisp, only the loop on top of your head for the tube is missing. Also, this gear is very large, almost too long for the Wisp. The trueblue is a standard nasal mask with the straps almost reaching the side of the mouth so it needs longer straps. However, I could adjust it to a good fit with the velcro overlapping at the back of my head.

I use the large mask. It still pinches my nostrils a bit but I can live with that. The irony is that I also use a size small Respironics comfortgel blue. Philips really made a mess of the sizing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2013, 02:40 PM)NES Wrote:
(05-30-2013, 11:52 AM)scubberley Wrote: Is that the mask that you bite on to hold it place? I wondered how that would work.

Yes, there are at least two different makers of them. I'm new to the forum and don't want to make any faux. I know I can tell you I bought the 'Tap Pap' I got it on a 30 days Monet back guarantee ... But I won't be sending it back. There's another one called CPAP Pro. It was more expensive, didn't come with a money back return offer and it looked like the two little nasal insertions could touch my pillow (I'm a side sleeper and masks always hit my pillow sometime during the night and get knocked out of place). In any case, I tried the Tap Pap and I'm really happy with my experience.

(05-30-2013, 02:40 PM)NErskine Wrote:
(05-30-2013, 11:52 AM)scubberley Wrote: Is that the mask that you bite on to hold it place? I wondered how that would work.

Yes, there are at least two different makers of them. I'm new to the forum and don't want to make any faux. I know I can tell you I bought the 'Tap Pap' I got it on a 30 days Monet back guarantee ... But I won't be sending it back. There's another one called CPAP Pro. It was more expensive, didn't come with a money back return offer and it looked like the two little nasal insertions could touch my pillow (I'm a side sleeper and masks always hit my pillow sometime during the night and get knocked out of place). In any case, I tried the Tap Pap and I'm really happy with my experience.

Hehehe Please ignore my auto correct errors. I think (hope) the above is understandable Wink

I'm vacillating between the WISP and the Tap Pap. Where did you get the Tap Pap with the 30-day guarantee. That way I could get my first mask (a WISP) from my DME (that will let me exchange once for free [saving a second emergency trial]), and then try the Tap Pap, again for free within the 30 days.

I was told by the technician that did my sleep study that only 15% of people didn't return the CPAP mask (one reviewer said the venting system was horrible).

Do you have any problem with the Tap Pap, venting or otherwise?Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2013, 12:27 PM)scubberley Wrote: I tried the Wisp with the silicone frame for the first time last night. It felt loose, but didn't have any leaks. Slept well and my Sleepy Head stats were good. But I did have marks on my face. I sleep on my left side, but had marks on the right side of my face as well. I will be putting wraps on the frame to see if that is an improvement. If not I may try the fabric frame.

Did you ever try the "wraps" around the silicone frame? Is so, where did you get the wraps. I can't find any that are made for the WISP, just the cloth version and I understand that tears up easily.Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2013, 12:37 PM)drmick3 Wrote:

Did you ever try the "wraps" around the silicone frame? Is so, where did you get the wraps. I can't find any that are made for the WISP, just the cloth version and I understand that tears up easily.Sleep-well

I am using the fabric frame and love it. I think I tried generic fleece type wraps before the fabric frame arrived. But now that I have the fabric frame I don't need the wraps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Anyone having problems with the wisp mask causing pressure soars on the bridge of their nose? I had this problem big time with the wisp. The mask was as loose as it gets and still it almost created an open wound on the bridge of my nose? Even after tightening it to the max it mangled up my nose.

I wonder why I am the only one experiencing this with the wisp? My nose is thin up top and wide at the bottom, maybe my facial features just don't work with this mask?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask lab rat 45 24,699 03-21-2024, 07:11 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  [Product Review] ResMed N30 Nasal Mask Review (not the N30i) AndyB 17 10,232 02-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: getzall
  [Product Review] Respironics Nuance / Pro Mask Review allielb83 52 59,011 01-08-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  [Product Review] AirFit™ N20 Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear somnia16 58 39,015 08-13-2022, 08:16 AM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
  [Product Review] F&P Evora nasal mask yankees123 26 12,794 11-07-2021, 04:30 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Product Review] Phillips-Respironics DreamWear Crimson Nape 56 61,279 10-20-2021, 10:41 AM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
  [Product Review] Philips Respironics Dreamwear Full Face Mask FLsleeper7 10 7,714 04-20-2020, 02:47 PM
Last Post: hmonnier

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.